Sign in to follow this  
StarBegotten

Unreal giving Grants to games

Jonathan   

BFS would benefit greatly from this! The only problem I see is they don't have a beta stage demo yet and it seems that is the only time Epic will give out this grant.

A one time chance, John should apply.

Although I expect they'd choose a project with larger mass appeal in order to promote their engine, which is what it is about, promotion.

However, GB will be huge with modding and modding on UE4 means many subscriptions for Epic. This should be a point to point out pointy.

Sent our request in about 10 hours ago. ;)

We are absolutely at a good stage for them to review so no worries there. My only concern is we may not be "artsy" or unique enough. We'll see though.... being successful with this would be exactly the shot we need to jumpstart this baby!

BFS would benefit greatly from this! The only problem I see is they don't have a beta stage demo yet and it seems that is the only time Epic will give out this grant.

giving grants at that stage would be pointless since it's already close to completion.

Scopey   

Sent our request in about 10 hours ago. wink.png

We are absolutely at a good stage for them to review so no worries there. My only concern is we may not be "artsy" or unique enough. We'll see though.... being successful with this would be exactly the shot we need to jumpstart this baby!

I feel like you have a good shot at it. Good luck!

giving grants at that stage would be pointless since it's already close to completion.

GB? Far from it. The only reason we aren't further along is because of lack of money. Its the biggest factor to why there is no finished GB yet.

I'm lazy and didn't go to the website. When will the winner be announced?

Didn't find that info myself.

They are selecting at least 100 projects ($5,000,000 total, $50,000 max grant per project) so I think GB has a pretty good chance to succeed. fingersx.gif

Edited by WanhaPatu

Jonathan   

Sent our request in about 10 hours ago. wink.png

Please keep us updated about this whether you are successful or not! fingersx.gif Do you know if there is any time slot when they will be announcing who gets it?

Edited by Jonathan

Don't worry, if we get anything it will be a good PR topic for both sides. :)

This isn't a contest with specific dates. There are no "winners" exactly. Everything is looked at and decided upon its own merits and not against other entries. Epic hasn't put forth a specific timeline of when they make decisions either. Though they did say they would like to get a few figured out by GDC.

Good luck. I agree that GB might be less favorable compared to "artsy" games. But at the same time, GB is certainly pushing certain shooter mechanics forward. And RO did win the Make Something Unreal contest. So best of luck to BFS. I'm sure the money will be helpful.

Honestly, if we could secure a large grant it would be the single biggest push to get GB going to this point. It really would be the catalyst to gain enough momentum to not look back.

So they have 5 mil and want to give a total of 100 projects 50,000 each? Sounds like GB's chances aren't bad.

I wonder what 50k will do? I mean it's not much for game development, but I guess it would be a good head start for early access.

So they have 5 mil and want to give a total of 100 projects 50,000 each? Sounds like GB's chances aren't bad.

I wonder what 50k will do? I mean it's not much for game development, but I guess it would be a good head start for early access.

Its not necessarily sectioned like that. Its a pool of $5mil and they will give grants UP TO $50k. They may hand of $5k, 10 or 15 as well. It appears to be pretty arbitrary and loose except for the maximum.

It would do a lot to get us to a solid Early Access build for sure. A lot.

I hope you can meet them at the GDC!

We won't be at GDC. ;)

chrisb   

Good luck with the grant, I hope your project here fits the requirements, it seems too.

Maybe also consider, charging for early access, many devs do and many players invest (say £50-£100). So one to think about, just a single playable level would be enough to get players on-board, especially with YT videos out there to bring in, even more, interest for the game.

Good luck with the grant, I hope your project here fits the requirements, it seems too.

Maybe also consider, charging for early access, many devs do and many players invest (say £50-£100). So one to think about, just a single playable level would be enough to get players on-board, especially with YT videos out there to bring in, even more, interest for the game.

We are going to be doing that soon.