Aldous

Unreal Engine 4 now free to use

Aldous   

Unreal Engine 4 is now free to use. They have released several versions of the engine, along with some related software, for free use. Commercial releases still require payment to Epic, but the terms are simple.

Note that though the version on the engine that BFS uses is available, this is not a formal modding tool, though it's a great step in the right direction.

Jonathan   

So where it says

"When you ship a game or application, you pay a 5% royalty on gross revenue after the first $3,000 per product, per quarter. It’s a simple arrangement in which we succeed only when you succeed."

Does this mean that if I make a mod or a map for GB I will have to pay Epic to get it out there to the community?

Scopey   

So where it says

"When you ship a game or application, you pay a 5% royalty on gross revenue after the first $3,000 per product, per quarter. It’s a simple arrangement in which we succeed only when you succeed."

Does this mean that if I make a mod or a map for GB I will have to pay Epic to get it out there to the community?

No, because community-made mods and maps are made available for free, not for commercial profit.

MurDoc   

So where it says

Only on mods that BFS allows to sell. May sound weird to consumers to buy mods but sounds great to devs to piggyback on already great game. More devs interested in making mods means more TC mods with GB realism features which sounds great to me. I hope BFS does this.

We plan to allow modders to sell their stuff if they choose to. Valve already has this in place on Steam and by the time GB is out there for modding Epic will have the ability on their marketplace as well.

There is nothing saying mods need to be for profit, but if one wants to sell it they can. For Steam, Valve takes their percentage then the game developer get's their percentage and the rest goes to the mod maker. I assume it will be the same for Epic's as well.

As for the UE4 royalty.... its simple. If you make more than $3,000 per quarter (every 3 months) then you would pay Epic 5% of everything you make past that initial $3,000. So if you made $1,000 or less a month you would owe Epic nothing.

Jeza   

Outside of the flight sim community, I do not see payware mods for other games being a big hit amongst gamers for games outside that genre.

True, I was thinking that, until I came across a few of the racing sims, even assetto corsa having payware stuff.

But indeed aside from that kind of stuff, it would not be a massive hit with me.