Flogger23m

Unreal Engine 4 is now free

Jonathan   

I hate top kind of hijack this thread but I am having problems with the Engine. I download the it and install it but then I go to run it at the top left of the UI it says "No Engine Installed". I don't understand this. Can anyone help me with this issue? I am running Windows 7 btw.

Looks like you no longer have to pay $19 monthly fees. I wonder if this arrangement will help out BFS.

https://www.unrealen...log/ue4-is-free

I think this will certainly be of benefit to modders.

Doesn't really do anything for us other than save us $19 a month per seat. And in all honesty, for those making a game like GB, if you couldn't afford the $19 a month per developer then you are in the wrong business. ;)

As far as GB is concerned, its the modding scene that will benefit from it. Now we don't need to worry about working with Epic to get a free editor for making Ground Branch mods.

I hate top kind of hijack this thread but I am having problems with the Engine. I download the it and install it but then I go to run it at the top left of the UI it says "No Engine Installed". I don't understand this. Can anyone help me with this issue? I am running Windows 7 btw.

Not sure. The Epic forums are a great place for tech support. Very well staffed.

Doesn't really do anything for us other than save us $19 a month per seat. And in all honesty, for those making a game like GB, if you couldn't afford the $19 a month per developer then you are in the wrong business. wink.png

As far as GB is concerned, its the modding scene that will benefit from it. Now we don't need to worry about working with Epic to get a free editor for making Ground Branch mods.

That is really what i was getting at. Though you can lock this thread down because we have some other posts/threads about it.

did you install their Launcher? if so, go to Library and click on the +Add versions in Engine Versions. does it say that you have one or more installed?

if you didn't use the Launcher, you have to grab the source code from Git and build it in MSVS2013 first, I think

Edited by AbsoluteVirtue

Jonathan   

Thanks I figured it out by their forums thanks to John so Thank You!!.I should have thought of that before.icon_redface.gif Just had to click "Add Engine Version" just like you said.

Edited by Jonathan

I'd love to give it a try myself, but it doesn't accept my email/account/whatever. Sick and tired of these websites requiring an account, some weird password that is impossible to remember, social media accounts, three backup accounts, a phone number, a picture, an alternate account, local PC information, and your damn name just to download something. At this rate it will take 5-10 minutes just to load Firefox in 4-5 years. Talk about taking 15-20 steps backwards. The internet is due for a massive do over. Wish it was like the early 2000s.

Edited by Flogger23m

I'd love to give it a try myself, but it doesn't accept my email/account/whatever. Sick and tired of these websites requiring an account, some weird password that is impossible to remember, social media accounts, three backup accounts, a phone number, a picture, an alternate account, local PC information, and your damn name just to download something. At this rate it will take 5-10 minutes just to load Firefox in 4-5 years. Talk about taking 15-20 steps backwards. The internet is due for a massive do over. Wish it was like the early 2000s.

I generally agree, but to Epic's defense you are actually entering a business agreement with them when downloading the software. So its going to be a bit more involved.

Papa6   

would we be able to use this software outfit to create user made mods for GB? hello John, it has been several years. my health has been doing worse over those years

They always took the 5%, even when it was $20 a month. So the only thing that has changed is no monthly fee.

So yeah, the 5% comes off the top only after you make $3,000 per quarter. So your first $3,000 per quarter really is completely free.

The one thing you can argue the merits of both ways is that the 5% is GROSS sales. That means that Epic gets their 5% before anyone like Apple or Valve takes their distribution cut.... which is usually 30%. So if you make $10,000 on Steam then Valve gets $3,000 ($10,000 - 30%) and Epic gets $500 ($10,000 - 5%) leaving you with $6,500. Not great but not to bad really, considering what you get in return.

And if you are making enough money that the 5% really eats into the money you are making in a big way then you are in a position to negotiate a custom deal with Epic. wink.png

For us specifically, lets just say this is a better deal then we had using UE3.

I wonder, did you get a refund of the past fees, now that the engine is free to use? Would be crazy if they'd refund everybody to this point, that would be a huge sum.