Papa6

Question about Groundbranch

31 posts in this topic

seriously, I wanna get my hands on this game. I've been waiting a long time to get tactical again.

is it for sale yet? or can I get in on testing it?

I own an expensive gaming laptop with the following stats

Toshiba Qosmio X70-X70-AST3GX3

Intel i7 4700MQ processor

Nvidia geforce GTX 770m mobile 3GB ram graphic card

1TB HDD

16GB ram

from memory.

I'd love to beat the daylights out of this game to find bugs and help out in general.

Firstly, I am elated to see this, me and the group of people who still play the old Rainbow Six games, and there are plenty of people eagerly waiting for this one.

1. AI. What can we expect from AI performance? will friendly character's instinctively dig corners, pick up security, not run in front of your muzzle, follow directions ect. And will the enemy act more like a live role player? Run and hide, spray and pray around corners, be distracted, investigate noise ect.

2. Weapons. Im assuming the selection will replicate a highly funded and completely supported special missions unit like the SOG, but what about the

details? examples, a BAD lever making your reloads quicker (because they do) suppresors NOT making "damage" lower (because they dont) sub sonic ammo making the report quieter but reducing velocity and perhaps accuracy at certain ranges ect.

3. Breaching. Please tell me work is going to one of the most vital areas in a direct action game. Will there be different charges to choose from and have the appropriate effect? Will it be an option giving tactical leverage to the assault force, or just an amenity to add to the look which apparently RS siege has done.

4. mission planning. Will we be able to plan the assault? and if so how detailed?

5. Sound. Different sounds for shooting indoors and outside? a small thing but would make a noticable difference to the authentic feel im sure you would agree.

6. Tactics. Goes along with AI but is there a realistic approach or a "user friendly" action oriented approach. A better way to word this I guess would be. Are you going to feel like your conducting an actual raid, or just run and gunning at a slower pace becasue you go down in one hit? I hope that question makes sense

7. Maps. I think I already know assuming, but are we going to see some diversity. This is representing a unit that has no operational area, because its on a global scale. Can we expect to see this in the maps we play? As well as the likely CQB settings of houses, offices, industrial areas, schools and public places?

Lastly, I realize this is a long list of details that might not be developed yet, or at least developed enough to a point where a reasonable answer can be provided. However, any thing you got would be highyl rewarding as this information is being requested by a very large number of your supporters. Thank you very much for your time and we look forward to your responses.

Firstly, I am elated to see this, me and the group of people who still play the old Rainbow Six games, and there are plenty of people eagerly waiting for this one.

1. AI. What can we expect from AI performance? will friendly character's instinctively dig corners, pick up security, not run in front of your muzzle, follow directions ect. And will the enemy act more like a live role player? Run and hide, spray and pray around corners, be distracted, investigate noise ect.

2. Weapons. Im assuming the selection will replicate a highly funded and completely supported special missions unit like the SOG, but what about the

details? examples, a BAD lever making your reloads quicker (because they do) suppresors NOT making "damage" lower (because they dont) sub sonic ammo making the report quieter but reducing velocity and perhaps accuracy at certain ranges ect.

3. Breaching. Please tell me work is going to one of the most vital areas in a direct action game. Will there be different charges to choose from and have the appropriate effect? Will it be an option giving tactical leverage to the assault force, or just an amenity to add to the look which apparently RS siege has done.

4. mission planning. Will we be able to plan the assault? and if so how detailed?

5. Sound. Different sounds for shooting indoors and outside? a small thing but would make a noticable difference to the authentic feel im sure you would agree.

6. Tactics. Goes along with AI but is there a realistic approach or a "user friendly" action oriented approach. A better way to word this I guess would be. Are you going to feel like your conducting an actual raid, or just run and gunning at a slower pace becasue you go down in one hit? I hope that question makes sense

7. Maps. I think I already know assuming, but are we going to see some diversity. This is representing a unit that has no operational area, because its on a global scale. Can we expect to see this in the maps we play? As well as the likely CQB settings of houses, offices, industrial areas, schools and public places?

Lastly, I realize this is a long list of details that might not be developed yet, or at least developed enough to a point where a reasonable answer can be provided. However, any thing you got would be highyl rewarding as this information is being requested by a very large number of your supporters. Thank you very much for your time and we look forward to your responses.

The best thing I can tell you about the game is check out the videos posted in the News section. Some of those questions are answered.

As far as AI, there will be none for a while, but an SP campaign is part of the plan, once some money starts rolling in. Maps will be up to about 800x800m square. Remember, the person who owns this studio is the one who made some of the most famous maps for R6/RS/GR and has the awards to show. He will have a good mix (my opinion).

There will be mission planning of sorts, but remember, things can go awry and plans change.

bye1.gif 0321fox

Welcome to the forums! May I ask how you found out about this game?

Edited by Jonathan

@MasterBlaster

Thank you for your reply, I will closely follow and further analyze the posted media. Looking forward to updates in the future!

@PTStud

I saw a link somewhere on google, I forget what I was searching. It was in-conspicuous but once I found the website I was overjoyed at what I read and was made aware of the facebook and youtube content and have since then devoured any and all internet media. Which led me to the long list of random questions I hip fired away at the fourm expecting some elaboration. But I understand that its early on yet.

Welcome!

I'll try to give you some answers here......

AI is still a bit out, but Epic is doing some really nice things with their built in AI solution. Its not just bots anymore. :)

We certainly plan to have our AI react as humanly possible given our resources and time though.

We are not setting out to make a huge arsenal of weapons. Modders will take care of that for sure. We will have a pretty standard set covering Pistol/SubMachineGun/AssaultRifle/Shotgun/LightMachineGun/Sniper/Explosive

We don't plan on including any "active" reload situations or random fouling sorts of things. Yes, that stuff does happen in real life, but we feel its just an annoyance in a a game and just frustrates people for no reason. Attachments will have actual impact on the weapons/ammo as well. They won't be just for show.

We are planning on having extensive breaching capabilities for doorway entry.... including breaching shotguns, charges, kicking and other. We have even prototyped a way to allow players to block doorways from being breached. Not sure if that will make it in or not.

What we probably won't have much of is arbitrary wall breaching and things like that. That isn't an area we have the resources to tackle.

Mission Planning is up in the air at the moment. For CoOp, the plan is to have a pre-mission planning phase where live players can work out their "x's and o's" together, but planning for SP a'la Rainbow Six may be out of the scope of GB for now.

I'm not sure if we will have the budget to record different sounds, but we definitely have environmental settings that process sound based on indoor/outdoor. It all depends on how much funding we can get. :)

I guess that's up to you and how you play I think. Ground Branch is not designed as a run 'n gun game simply by the shoot/move mechanics and the way weapons work. We aren't a sim though so we strive to make things as streamlined as possible. We don't want you thinking about controls and key combos during play.

Yes there will be plenty of diversity. There will be locations all over the world.... think R6 in this respect. ;)

My pleasure. We are working hard to get GB out there. Thanks for the support.

Nice questions and answers. Another random question if you don't mind. Will there be explosive force & bullet impact effects on NPCs? For example, a grenade goes off nearby but only partially injures an enemy. Can they get thrown to the ground, get up, and resume shooting even if they have to limp? Likewise for bullet impacts. I realize that in general bullet impacts don't push people down (well, not the bullet directly), but often times people seem to react by stumbling over. One of the few games to do this was GRAW1/2. Maybe it was a big exaggerated, but it certainly made the game feel more authentic and was a nice change.

And are there any plans on making a map based around a larger modern building where the whole thing is accessible? When I say "building" I am referring to an office style building with 5-6 stories. Most games only feature a few accessible levels. I've always wanted to play a game like this in which you can raid an entire building.

Its not available yet, but we will be releasing a Tech Preview build very soon. smile.png

Will this be available to the public, or just select individuals?

Will this be available to the public, or just select individuals?

Public. They want to use it as a gauge as to how it will run on different systems and such.

Its not available yet, but we will be releasing a Tech Preview build very soon. smile.png

So we are getting pretty close to releasing something public..... No really!

We plan to release a sort of tech demo in the next few weeks to serve a couple of purposes.

Yeah, there are plenty of times we missed our mark for sure. Nothing to hide here. ;)

Our biggest issue is its pretty much 2 of us with some help on animations. We all 3 have day jobs and 2 of us have families. Kris and his wife even had a newborn within the last few months. I'd love to say we are as efficient as we could be, but we are far from it. We both wear too many development hats and we are creating many things from scratch that are different. If we just followed standard FPS/game game design things would go a lot more smoothly.

One instance is the UI. Getting the customization system to work as we need it to and linking it all to an intuitive and working UI has been a royal pain in the arse! But its a cornerstone part of what Ground Branch is done in a way other games don't do it. Likewise with shooting and moving. Its not just a floating arms/weapon so it takes a lot more work to get it right in all situations. To do it correctly also requires a lot of unique setups with the relationship to the animations.

So yeah, its taken forever. Nothing to say other than it is what it is and people have seen close to what we will be releasing.... so it does exist. :)

I know an exact date can't be given, but are you still on track for a public release tech demo soon? Or were there some last minute issues that propped up?

Yes we are. There are some things with the customization system/ui that are causing issues. Everything else is done. Another thing to keep in mind is UE4 is still in Beta itself....especially things dealing with their UI system UMG.

We wish we had a multiple people working the issue but we don't. But once its all worked out then we'll get the build out. :)

Hey,

Great progress you have made so far. I am following your project with great interest.

I have two questions for you which hopefully have not been answered elsewhere:

1. I presume you might have heard of Serrelan's Take Down project which turned out a complete fiasco due to a pre-alpha released game on steam. An agry community and a marketing image hit resulted due to this. Which lessons have you learned from the Serrelan Take Down fiasco? Which you tend to do better. Ok, you release a technical preview and early access, but why should people invest into your project?

2. Will you make Ground Branch also suitable for players of the SWAT 4/SWAT 3 genre? Where arresting is more important than killing suspects/tango's.

P.s. Maybe it is an idea to put a sticky thread/topic in the Ground Branch section where all questions regarding the game can be asked because I dont see it.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Darker

P.s. Maybe it is an idea to put a sticky thread/topic in the Ground Branch section where all questions regarding the game can be asked because I dont see it.

Welcome to the forums.

Yes.

+1000. This needs to happen 5 years ago. Everytime someone new wanted to ask questions they tend to make a new thread.

Also an FAQ on the forums that newcomers can find easily.

Great progress you have made so far. I am following your project with great interest.

Welcome and thanks for the support!

1. I presume you might have heard of Serrelan's Take Down project which turned out a complete fiasco due to a pre-alpha released game on steam. An agry community and a marketing image hit resulted due to this. Which lessons have you learned from the Serrelan Take Down fiasco? Which you tend to do better. Ok, you release a technical preview and early access, but why should people invest into your project?

I am very familiar with the project and Christian. Both of us know what we are doing and have long successful careers in the game industry. He chose to structure his project and its development differently than I choose to do ours. Our development philosophy and operational boundaries are completely different therefore its hard to compare. We will make our own mistakes along the way and will have many triumphs as well. This has always been one of the reasons things have taken so long to this point.... we do not want to introduce any outside influence other than the fans of the game. No financial backers or publishers that may have different goals than ours and remove our control over the final outcome.

Along the way I have always said that its the game that people play that will drive acceptance, community and ultimately sales. The game will speak for itself. We love the old school tactical shooter genre.... I helped build it. Ultimately we are building a game that we want to play ourselves and are proud to share with others. We won't stop until that happens.

2. Will you make Ground Branch also suitable for players of the SWAT 4/SWAT 3 genre? Where arresting is more important than killing suspects/tango's.

I'm not sure how "suitable" things will be in the sense of actual SWAT3/4 gameplay itself as the core gameplay does not revolve around domestic police actions. However, there will be missions that require recon, snatch & grabs and other things that do not necessarily revolve around shooting everything up. Though you could do that if you wanted, but don't complain about the consequences. smile.png

This is all on www.groundbranch.com but I can certainly see it needing to be done here. Will look into getting it done.

Thank you for your time.

Bugger if they made something that people could use to search with...

oGZeGXN.png

Just a simple question.

Would there be any chance later on in development to have included in the game, a mission editor ?

I'm thinking along the lines of Arma type or maybe a simpler version.

Edited by chrisb

I was thinking it would be an in-game mission editor not the games (engine) editor. If that makes any sense, just similar to BI's mission editor in-game (scenario/mission editor). ?

Not sure how much work would be involved with that.. Although I'd happily pay extra for that if its an addon (dlc) type thing.

Edited by chrisb