BTH

One Chance

Everyone who has played a tactical shooter has done it. We all play a round and we don't like the outcome: either the hostage was killed, we lost a man or missed an opportunity objective. We replay the mission for another 2, 15 or 200 times until we get the desired outcome. FACT.

Now think of a gametype for competitive cooperative play. Based on cqb, every map for this "One Chance Game Type" should have a replica. It would be made of plywood sheets, shipping containers, killhouse pannels, whatever. The maps' layouts would be almost identical. The possible enemy positions, ins/ext points and objectives would be the same for both the real map and the replica map. The only difference being that the enemies would be shooting targets and civilians would be "actors". You can play the replica mission as many times as you want. When the mission is over, players are taken to a debriefing lobby where they can change their gear, re-plan everything, etc... In the lobby there would be two options: Replay replica mission / Play real mission. When the team think they are ready for the real mission they would vote this option.

There is only one chance for the real mission. After the real mission is over, all the information is uploaded as a self-generated file to a site of preference. This information should include data like: Mission objectives achieved/failed, % of surviving friendly forces, time taken, actors killed/wounded in the replica missions, friendly fire incidents... what it should not include is the number of times the replica mission has been practiced.

Now we just need to compare the files with other teams that have played the same mission and we have a fair, realistic coop ladder competition.

I see your point but would this create a lot of work, and could it be done within an existing training area ? a training area that can be easily manipulated.

The training area should try and cover many different types of environment.

Or if you have Intel on the job in hand create that area like you said.

To practice a mission as near as possible to the real thing before you go on said mission is a good idea.

I like the idea to go minecraft with plywood. :D

I'd rather see a huge amount of randomization in the maps, so that they don't feel, nor really are the same all the time. So I'm not sure if having a map recreated with plywood would contribute to that level of unknown, but the idea is good. I think there should be a training part where you can extensively practice a variety of situations without punishment, so you can retry right away.

I like the idea of a configurable training are before a mission, where you can do a test run.

of course, you could always just make the real mission area available for training (i.e. with no enemies or hostages placed) before the actual mission, so players could familiarize themselves with it (less work for the same outcome, only a bit less realistic)

To be able to practice procedure in many different environments is a good thing the skills learned can be used in real missions, but replicating a map or specific type of building is harder.

Intel for a building can be obtained before, blueprints photos and so on.

I think if the chance to practice on a set building or replica can be done before hand then it should be done, in this type of scenario it would be done by these guys.

You must increase your chances of survival using what methods you can, using what you can.

I like the idea of a configurable training are before a mission, where you can do a test run.

Me too. Sounds very immersive.

Competitive coop ladder though? Give me a break.

I have always loved making extensive training spaces available (was responsible for all training areas in R6/GR) and will continue to do so with GB. I have been working through some idea to allow teams to easily create "rough outs" of spaces so they can create their own training setups to practice whatever they want. Still trying to figure it all out under the hood though.

In my ideal dev team world I'd have a couple people build out the gameplay maps with my overwatch and me create detailed training modules. :)

Rivers, bridges and training seem to be my signature on the level design world for some reason. ;)

I love plywood architecture myself.

I'd love a giant warehouse, like the Raven Shield or Splinter Cell training, with like a whole training plywood city inside.

While I like the idea (training complexes are cool), I'd find it more compelling to integrate it more into what John seems to be planning for single player/co-op with the whole intel thing.

How about a "challenge" game mode--only the first play-through counts, like BTH suggested--where you can select an operation (for the sake of differentiating from missions within it), which is made up of 3 phases: recon, planning/practice and execution.

You start off with basic intel (satellite imaging, reports, blueprints if available) and then have a limited amount of recon runs, which would allow scouting, UAV surveillance and such. Then upon gathering sufficient intel and provided you weren't detected, you'd proceed into the planning/practice phase, which would offer a full-size mock-up of the complex, perhaps with both randomized and fixed (i.e. confirmed by intel as being always stationed at a particular spot) targets inside. This phase would allow as many runs as the player(s) require until they think they're ready for the real mission.

The biggest challenge would be keeping things relatively fresh between players who completed it and players who haven't, as sharing is unavoidable. Randomizing elements would be a problem as the slightest change could potentially make two runs vastly different in difficulty.

It's ambitious (and likely unfeasible :P) to say the least, and something for waaaay down the road, but that's my fantasy take on it.

Would also work well if the player chooses to do an Ironman run. Even without a "proper" single-player campaign, a player profile with Ironman commitment selected would allow the player to only attempt each actual mission once but could practice rehearsing it beforehand ad nauseam.

IF BFS finally had the resources to commit to this ambitious idea, I do hope it's all the way and not half-heartedly done. I have some fond (and some not so fond) memories of playing the MILES training maps in America's Army, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the combat scenarios in Combat Missions (the TV series). I don't know if MILES is still being used, but if that's too difficult to implement, maybe the Simunition used in Special Ops Mission would be a better choice.

It would make the training sessions much more engaging and convincing compared to shooting static, brainless targets that don't shoot back.