Jonathan

Ultra smooth gaming mouse?

Any gaming Mice that anyone knows about that is as smooth as an analog stick from a controller? 

Well I'm not sure about my mouse being on par with an analog stick. But i bought this M65 RGB PRO Corsair mouse about a month ago, and I'm in love with it.

The mouse reviews from Rocket Jump Ninja helped me the most deciding which mouse to buy. His website also has an extensive Top 40 best mouse list for various types of gamers.

http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/top-40/

(https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJaDZC7PChgd-XMwcbZkiw

Having had laser mouses for a while, i bought an optical mouse for gaming. Makes a noticeable difference, actually feels smoother. Especially when i pick up the mouse during moves. I always assumed laser was better.

Yes, Rocket Jump Ninja seems to be considered a bit of an authority on the subject on the internet. When I buy a new mouse it would definitely be another optical one. Ergonomics are really important too. I wouldn't buy a mouse with the best sensor if it wasn't comfortable to use for me. Also, I would be picky about which brand I use. My next mouse will not be a Razer, that's for sure. The building quality of their products isn't what it used to be.

Used Zowie FK2 for a long time (FK and AM before that). Best shape, best build quality and best cable there is. Switches are a bit stiff, but okay. Sensor is good with good dpi steps (400, 800, etc). Theoretically perfect mouse, but the scroll wheel is very bad (as all the Zowie mice) and drove me mad (double scrolls, accidental scroll when clicking). Main problem is, it is overpriced, like everything Zowie.

So I bought the Logitech G203 (is same as G102 in Asia). Main reason was the scroll wheel that drove me mad. If you like the shape it is a perfect mouse. Perfect sensor (50 dpi steps beginning with 200, all native), perfect build quality, perfect buttons, excellent scroll wheel (finally!), great cable (not as flexible as Zowie, but very close). Main perk: Being among the better mice it has a fairly low price tag. So if you are looking for a good budget mouse, this is the best choice, unless you can't get used to the shape.

How smooth a mouse is depends on the surface (new, smooth pad), mouse feet not being worn out and amount of cable drag (which why I only buy mice with very flexible cable, like the two above, never braided cables). Both these mice feel great to use. Zowie only wins on the shape and cable.

But can Rocket Jump Ninja frag at Quake Champions ? :D

One important aspect about mice that I'd point out is the size ; a few years ago, I had to order 2 Logitech G3 mice from Australia because I had no suitable replacement to my old Logitech G3 won in a LAN-party, as most if not all mice at the time of buying were big, at least for my hands. So measure your palm's size and compare with Rocket Jump Ninja's chart/reviews, and if possible, try the mouse you'd be interested in at some shops or at a friend's who'd have it.

Actually my mouse is a bit small for me, but the mousepad i'm using has wrist protection; so it counteracts the effect. So that's always something to keep in mind.

WAIT!!! Stop the presses, are you guys telling me that Optical is better for Gaming than Laser??? Anyone care to school me as to the why? crash course is ok, I just don't want to google it and get more confuse than what I am now by reading 257 different opinions on the subject LOL.

I had a G7 wireless and aside from having to switch battery every so often, I liked it but it was missing something so I went a step up and have bee using a Logitech G9 for more than 4 yrs now. funny thing is, I still can't get used to it for gaming, ergo of it with my hand just does not gel correctly. I do love the fact that you can set it for Gaming, Browsing, Editing and whatever else (4 different options of usage) you want and with a touch of a button you are there but I have been afraid to waste/throw money away on a mice that will have all the goodness the G9 has but either it does not like my hand or my hand does not like it.

I hate reading but I am guessing this post is what I needed to start looking for a new one, as a matter of fact, because of reading about optical from this posts. I found this one that I am going to buy, it is cheap enough that even if it doesn't do what I want (even though the reviews are good), I can use it for my HTPC.

https://www.amazon.com/Gaming-Mouse-Pecosso-Precision-Optical/dp/B06XVXRKFL

Edited by want2snipe

10 hours ago, want2snipe said:

WAIT!!! Stop the presses, are you guys telling me that Optical is better for Gaming than Laser??? Anyone care to school me as to the why?

Yes.

Well, technically laser sensors are optical, too, but the ones we commonly refer to as "optical" sensors are infra red illuminated sensors. Laser sensors work on most surfaces and have tons of options (like unnecessary high dpi settings), while "optical" are more limited (although the more recent sensors, such as the 3360 and 3366 and Logitech's Mercury sensor are catching up quite well), but there are perks that make the "optical" sensors the go to for FPS games, such as no or very limited smoothing and acceleration and also rather low lift off distance.

Having no acceleration is good, because it gives you very consistent tracking and low lift off distance doesn't track mouse movement if the mouse is lifted up a bit (so if you reposition the mouse a lot, it wont have too much unwanted movement).

You can test the level of acceleration by putting something heavy on your mouse pad (book or so), hold the mouse and move it to the object, remember where the crosshair is pointed at in the game and quickly move the mouse to the side, than slowly move the mouse back to the book to the previous position and see where the crosshair is. With optical sensors chances are high that the crosshair is pointed at the same spot as in the beginning and with lasers it might be off (or very very off). 

Generally you can use whatever sensor/mouse you want, but it is always better, especially for FPS, to have a sensor that is rock solid reliable and consistent. 

I'd suggest you just head over to this site: http://www.overclock.net/f/375/mice

Just make a thread with information about what you expect from the mouse, what games you play, your preference when it comes to performance, build quality, etc, and what should be the pricing. There are people that know this stuff and I'm sure you'll find something. I'm no expert, but in my opinion the Logitech G203 is best value at the moment. It is on par with gaming mice that tend to cost twice as much. But if you want something even cheaper, than I'm sure the guys at overclock can suggest you some things.

I only discovered this year why i was getting worse in twitch shooter games like quake and tribes. And why my aim in tactical shooters like squad and arma was a bit wonky. Somewhere in the past i switched from optical to laser mouse.

After reading about the differences i bought an optical mouse and found there is a noticeable difference between the two. Now it's marginal stuff all this, i'm not talking night and day, but small quirks like what Psych says, optical has a lower lift off distance.

For fast moving games.that gives the edge over a laser mouse (like my current logitech G502), which i have to pickup higher and in that move it  sends movement data,causing the mouse pointer to suddenly move up or down.

Ahhhhh, so this is explanation as to why I suck so much at shooting games... I knew it wasn't me! :fingersx:

Thanks Psycho, nice write up. I will make sure to hit that site on the weekend and read about it.

@ Zeep ... that is exactly what happens to me often with my G9, all of a sudden, after a fast move, I end up looking at the sky and then, a couple of seconds later dead. :'(