Jeza

Insurgency Sandstorm

I've noticed the trailer getting quite a lukewarm reception online, even leading people to express their doubts about this game. And all that solely based on a first non-gameplay trailer. At one point I want to see gameplay of course, but why couldn't a first trailer of a game show of some of the direction the game wants to be going in mood and narrative? It only makes since for the direction they are going.

About the trailer, I think it's a bit bland, especially the male voice actor. The woman who I assume is the female protagonist doesn't say a word but seems much more interesting to me.

I feel like this trailer looks about 10 years old, which isn't much of an indication of the actual game's quality, but I can see why the reception wasn't great. It just looks outdated and it's lacking in the narrative department. But it's still an interesting premise for a military shooter, so hopefully the gameplay will follow suit.

I liked it. I have nothing to complain about so far. I also like to play with female protagonists if I get the option too. The last female character I remember playing as in an FPS, thou was Manon Batiste in Medal Of Honor Underground. Let's see how this goes. Hopefully the missions are not too scripted and feel more like the Original Ghost Recon or old Rainbow Six games. But yeah, I would have liked to see some gameplay, even if brief.

Looks nice,

Don't worry, even though you play a female avatar i'm sure she can slide 4 meters across the floor and 2 meters in the air in multiplayer.

Insurgency also wasted the opportunity to fit my realistic taste and ended up too arcade.

I guess they are basing this loosely off the Kurdish YPJ though? Which is pretty cool idea if so. 

Yeah, from all I heard and the trailer, it is some kind of proxy force fighting alongside the US army.
Interesting, or at least a new idea for once. And an important present issue, as big army expeditionary missions are kinda last decade, currently.

On 6/29/2017 at 2:03 AM, 213 said:

"muh female protag" is a bit disappointing.

Man, you must be a real treat to live with.

when does it not make sense to have a woman in the lead role? the only situation I can think of is, when a well-known character who's explicitly male in the source is portrayed by a woman, and even then it could be an artist's statement on patriarchy or w/e, which is fine in my book (can't put chains on artists, defeats the whole purpose of art).

Ah, yes, female protagonists are all part of the agenda to, uh… wipe white dudes off the face of the Earth, I guess? It all started with Samus Aran in 1986. Anyway, diversity is bad.

14 hours ago, 213 said:

when it's obvious pandering to the "muh diversity" camp.

This is the thing that annoys me most as a female gamer, I'm fine with female protagonists, better yet character customization, in fact I encourage it and applaud it, it feels good to be represented so long as it's not being put in there to pander to 3rd wave feminists, if they're shoehorned in for the sake of appeasement, you can tell the game isn't gonna be fab. 

This, though, doesn't seem to be one of those things, if it's done right it could actually tell the story from an unexplored perspective, as Jeza said it looks like they've based it off of the YPJ, in which women do serve. 

Now if it was a female Navy SEAL, I'd be raising an eyebrow, but this seems plausible to me and not like it's obvious SJW pandering. 

obvious SJW pandering is Mass Effect: Andromeda, ugly female characters because #objectificationofwomen and #unrealisticbeautystandards and all that crap. 

The elephant in the room here is those animations... ###### I could do a better job than that!

16 hours ago, 213 said:

when it's obvious pandering to the "muh diversity" camp.

Let´s just wait for more info before we complain or praise something out of proportions.
When we play the story we can decide, if it made sense to have that story told from an uncommon perspective in contemporary war shooters or if it really was diversity crap after all.

In the meantime, why not research a bit on syrian-kurdish militias of the SDF or YPG as well as their woman units and what happened to some of their members.

On 7/4/2017 at 4:07 PM, Zeealex said:

This is the thing that annoys me most as a female gamer, I'm fine with female protagonists, better yet character customization, in fact I encourage it and applaud it, it feels good to be represented so long as it's not being put in there to pander to 3rd wave feminists, if they're shoehorned in for the sake of appeasement, you can tell the game isn't gonna be fab. 

This, though, doesn't seem to be one of those things, if it's done right it could actually tell the story from an unexplored perspective, as Jeza said it looks like they've based it off of the YPJ, in which women do serve. 

Now if it was a female Navy SEAL, I'd be raising an eyebrow, but this seems plausible to me and not like it's obvious SJW pandering. 

If that's the case I'm fine with it. Fought alongside quite a few female Peshmerga in Iraq. They're as hardcore as they come, which actually means something as they have to pass all of the same requirements as the men. 

That said, Kurdistan and the Kurdish people are an anomaly in the Arab/Muslim world. Kurdistan is a secular, federal democracy for one. Something that simply doesn't exist in the region, the exception being Israel I guess. People are free to worship as they choose, multiple political parties exist, the women dress as freely as they want (talkin' tennis skirts and bikinis etc), ninja suits and hijabs are rare and so on. S&#t, this one we had attached to us (Zera) who kept openly flirting with me in front of everyone and saying we should get married and make beautiful Muslim/Christian babies together, and she was dead serious. Craziness! I mean not only do female soldiers not exist outside said region, but anywhere else they'd be stoned to death for acting the way she was with me. But the Kurdish men just laughed and joked and one offered to help pay for a ring.

Point being, the game features a fictional conflict in a fictional region. If its based off the YPG or YPJ then I have no problem with that as it accurately portrays that society. If it doesn't then its just pandering BS. Guess we'll see.

11 hours ago, DetCord said:

If that's the case I'm fine with it. Fought alongside quite a few female Peshmerga in Iraq. They're as hardcore as they come, which actually means something as they have to pass all of the same requirements as the men. 

That said, Kurdistan and the Kurdish people are an anomaly in the Arab/Muslim world. Kurdistan is a secular, federal democracy for one. Something that simply doesn't exist in the region, the exception being Israel I guess. People are free to worship as they choose, multiple political parties exist, the women dress as freely as they want (talkin' tennis skirts and bikinis etc), ninja suits and hijabs are rare and so on. S&#t, this one we had attached to us (Zera) who kept openly flirting with me in front of everyone and saying we should get married and make beautiful Muslim/Christian babies together, and she was dead serious. Craziness! I mean not only do female soldiers not exist outside said region, but anywhere else they'd be stoned to death for acting the way she was with me. But the Kurdish men just laughed and joked and one offered to help pay for a ring.

Point being, the game features a fictional conflict in a fictional region. If its based off the YPG or YPJ then I have no problem with that as it accurately portrays that society. If it doesn't then its just pandering BS. Guess we'll see.

Did you get married and have beautiful Muslim/Christian babies? :3

2 hours ago, RavenTheBird said:

Did you get married and have beautiful Muslim/Christian babies? :3

Wish I had. She was so hot.

Kurds are iranic people. The Greek spoke of female mounted warriors (the actual Amazons) that lived in east Europe. East Europe was inhabited by iranic mounted tribes at that time, before the slavic tribes moved in from the west.

So must be in the genes.

23 hours ago, Psychomorph said:

Kurds are iranic people. The Greek spoke of female mounted warriors (the actual Amazons) that lived in east Europe. East Europe was inhabited by iranic mounted tribes at that time, before the slavic tribes moved in from the west.

So must be in the genes.

They definitely have that look to them. Facial features and bone structure and all that. Though don't call them Arab, that will usually result in an ass kicking. Made that mistake when I was unaware of their history.