Started by bangurdead, Jul 29 2007 08:46 PM

#21 SteelHack

SteelHack

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:29 PM

View PostWingshot, on Aug 9 2007, 01:01 PM, said:

Just one more comment on the customization of faces - after about the first two weeks or so a large number of players in Rainbow had switched from their own face back to a generic face - the novelty was short lived at best.

Both Rainbow and GRAW2 offered significant choices of generic heads (sometimes both male and female), headgear and eyewear , generic paint options... adding custom paint does not seem to add much more to the mix. It also doesn't add - IMO - anything to gameplay since the amount of time you spend actually looking at other faces is minimal.

I truly hope that the ability to add custom paint is not what sets GB apart in the realm of MP FPS.

Putting your face, and player customization might not mean much to online multiplayer....but to CO-OP with your actual friends.....its the best thing since sliced bread.

To this day we still play the game that "WE" are in.

Nothing is better than actually seeing your best friends face IN GAME for that immersion feel.

I can see how playing ONLINE with people you have never meant would just be a hassle....but a small group over a local lan playing CO-OP....FANTASTIC....and I am praying that it makes it into more games in the future...so my clan can move on from OGR.

HACK

#22 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,329 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:47 PM

Hey, now if speaking about the "face-painting", would be awesome if you actually can (need to) paint it manually; you open the customization menue, bring the face of the operative closer and use the mouse cursor to draw the camouflage lines on the face, you would have like a box with a light-green and a dark-green colour, click on one of them and the line you draw on the face will be of this colour (right mouse button would remove the painting manually).

To much effort for such a little detail, but at least various face paintings to choose from would do it.

View Postbangurdead, on Jul 30 2007, 04:54 AM, said:

basically If I look like master chief with a complete robotic suit on I expect to move quite slower with more armor then say a chest protector and some boots
Actually this armor makes him like three times faster and stronger. :D

Edit:

View PostMegalodon, on Aug 9 2007, 05:06 PM, said:

just thought up an idea about player customization, imagine choosing your face, then depending on the mission, choosing colours and creating your own camo face paint scheme, simply apply the colors like in a paint program.
That would allow the freaks to paint nazi crosses all around the face, an ingame face painting feature could atlest have more control over the situation, so that even if you try to paint a, lets say "nazi cross", the lines could be unclear enought that it wouldn't look like one.

Edited by Psychomorph, 10 August 2007 - 08:53 PM.

Posted Image

#23 MONOLITH

MONOLITH

BFS SECURITY

• 7,028 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:42 PM

View PostMegalodon, on Aug 9 2007, 11:06 AM, said:

Posted Image

Oh no you didn't!!

:o
Posted Image

#24 Megalodon

Megalodon

Moving Target

• Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:10 PM

View PostMONOLITH, on Aug 11 2007, 05:50 PM, said:

Oh no you didn't!!

I said they could remove it they wanted. I was picturing a woman doing the head swagger and finger wave when I read that.

#25 WadeWannabe

WadeWannabe

Ranger School Dropout

• Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Platform:Console gamer

Posted 11 August 2007 - 05:05 PM

View PostMONOLITH, on Aug 11 2007, 09:50 PM, said:

Oh no you didn't!!

that looks dead cool, but freaky lol

#26 MONOLITH

MONOLITH

BFS SECURITY

• 7,028 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 05:13 PM

View PostMegalodon, on Aug 11 2007, 05:18 PM, said:

I said they could remove it they wanted.

Just teasin ya. I resized the image for you too, in that post it's off of my server now.

Just so everyone knows, the maximum image width without throwing off the forum is 500pixels.
Posted Image

#27 JTF-2

JTF-2

Ranger School Dropout

• Donator
  • 111 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:50 PM

Two things:

-Modability.  Customization is great, but not at the expense of "ease-of-modding." By that I mean, the customization system, whatever that may be, should make it easier to mod new characters (or headgear, vests, etc.) and should NOT make it harder to implement new things.

-R6. The first few titles did a pretty good job of customization. More protection = Slower. It was simple, but it worked.
Posted Image

#28 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

View PostJTF-2, on Aug 13 2007, 05:58 PM, said:

-R6. The first few titles did a pretty good job of customization. More protection = Slower. It was simple, but it worked.

Sometimes that is the best approach to. While gaming has evolved since those days, I do like how we did things where they gave options and "seemed" deep, but in reality were pretty simple. Easy but effective.  :thumbsup:

#29 Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib

Moving Target

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:48 PM

w00t! Occam's Razor basically works for everything! :P
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

By the power of the Windsor knot!

#30 JTF-2

JTF-2

Ranger School Dropout

• Donator
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:37 PM

View PostJsonedecker, on Aug 14 2007, 11:36 AM, said:

Sometimes that is the best approach to. While gaming has evolved since those days, I do like how we did things where they gave options and "seemed" deep, but in reality were pretty simple. Easy but effective.  :thumbsup:
Agreed. simple solutions often work best. They are the most robust. And they are easiest for the user to come to grips with. Not to mention potentially very resource efficient. All of the best suggestions I've heard for this game so far have been the simple ones (Jerm Varfare, etc.)

Just because you could create a complex system doesn't mean you should but what do I know about making computer games :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#31 MONOLITH

MONOLITH

BFS SECURITY

• 7,028 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:46 PM

View PostJTF-2, on Aug 14 2007, 05:45 PM, said:

Just because you could create a complex system doesn't mean you should

Ding! Ding!   We have another winner!!  

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

#32 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

If the complex system is supperior than it is worth it, problem is only that "complex" is often a sign of "inferiority". But it depends.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users