Started by krise madsen, Aug 04 2007 03:57 AM

#41 zoog

zoog

Master Blaster

• Contributor
  • 2,582 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:57 AM

For once it would nice if everything is portrayed accurately. I'm almost at a point where I just want to stop watching tv series or movies which feature special forces personnel all together. Luckily BFS is in the right position to actually do this :)
Posted Image

#42 BTH

BTH

Misfire

• PipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

I've just spent my first year in a conventional infantry company after quitting my special operations team. The difference really shows out in everything. What I see they get wrong in movies and games, is the concept of discipline. Ease and humor are always present in a team. Not a lack of discipline, but rather the opposite. Team leader is above everything and everyone else is a team member despite their military rank (at least in the field). It's not like in GRAW2, where every time the leader scores a kill he get's emotionally blowjobbed, though.
All my former team have had some good laughs during firefights and recalling old times, and I really don't know if that's good or bad, but I cannot imagine it any other way for a small group of men who spend so much time together and go through tough situations together. I think it is really hard to portray these 'life in a team' moments in a movie or a game cutscene. Nevertheless, I am very confident that BFS will do things right in that matter.
Maybe other current or former special forces personnel will totally disagree with me, I don't know.

#43 V2_Bloodline

V2_Bloodline

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

View Postzoog, on 28 May 2012 - 06:50 AM, said:

On the other hand: why call it a campaign if the missions would be available right away? Posted Image Unlocking missions by doing the story line is perfectly well and not something I consider "unlockables" like weapon attachments, types of camouflage etc.
Hmm. Point taken. Although I'd like to suggest something here:

I don't think it was difficult to find and back up my profile, but I imagine some people would. And even if people did back it up, when they reinstall the game later on they would have to find that profile again, and not only that, they would have to then figure out where to put it. This might sound simple to some people, then again it might not for others. This is especially true for good old games that people tend to reinstall every few years. Some people just resort to downloading a profile from the internet which has already unlocked every mission in the SP campaign, or using a 'console command', or using 'trainers', etc.

So I would suggest making a profile that has already unlocked all the missions, but is password-protected. The password will be revealed when the player finishes the single-player campaign for the first time (as far as the game registry can tell). So from then on, if the player did not make a backup of his profile, lost it, accidentally deleted it, or didn't know where to put it, then he can always access the said profile since he already know the password if he had finished the campaign before.

This is almost reminiscent of old-school games where you were given a password for every level you beat so would be able to skip the ones you've already beaten, except the password here is only given once i.e. when you've beaten the whole campaign.

Sure, players can look it up on the internet and find out what the password is without actually finishing the campaign, but that's their choice. And sure, they can forget the password even if they have finished the campaign, but then again they can always look it up on the internet if they did forget. And I think that would be much easier to most people than having to do things like using a 'console command', or downloading unlocked profiles, or (God forbid) if you just want to play the final mission, you would have to play the whole campaign again from the start.

Heck, if you want to make it more interesting you can always make it into an 'easter egg' or something. Posted Image

#44 Colin

Colin

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

Yer I agree actually do what it says in the mission briefing with no help except the team. Even if it takes an hour or more.
Posted Image

#45 V2_Bloodline

V2_Bloodline

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Why do some developers choose to use the bink (.bik) video format? And will GB be using that?

#46 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,411 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostV2_Bloodline, on 06 December 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

Why do some developers choose to use the bink (.bik) video format? And will GB be using that?

Bink is a compression system for video that was designed for video games. It is a pretty efficient codec and is easy to integrate into game engines and is pretty cost effective.

Will GB use it? Don't know. It depends on if we have video cutscenes or not (not planned at this point).

#47 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostV2_Bloodline, on 06 December 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

View PostJsonedecker, on 07 December 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

Bink is a compression system for video that was designed for video games. It is a pretty efficient codec and is easy to integrate into game engines and is pretty cost effective.

Will GB use it? Don't know. It depends on if we have video cutscenes or not (not planned at this point).
It is also free to nondevelopers to use. I have used it in the past and works pretty good.
RadGameTools.com
Posted Image
Posted Image
Supporter  GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users