Started by Cutter, Aug 04 2007 04:16 PM

#81 SnakeATWAR

SnakeATWAR

Moving Target

• Pip
  • 194 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:02 PM

If you are planning on getting an LCD, make sure the screen maintains aspect ratio or is simply 16:9... Just in case you ever need to use it with a PS3 or such... Games look a LITTLE weird at 16:10 instead of 16:9....  :wall:
Posted Image

#82 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,690 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:41 AM

View PostCpl Ledanek, on Nov 25 2008, 02:37 AM, said:

at the back I believe there is a marking also on which revision you got.
At the back theres a lot of chinese typo and a plain 2709Wb inbetween. Revision is A01 (newest for 27). I read in the other Dell thread (concearning your monitor) that the UltraSharp does not has that pointed out at the back, or what was the deal with your monitor?

View PostCpl Ledanek, on Nov 25 2008, 02:37 AM, said:

try watching 1st C. Bale Batman...see if its dark enough for your eyes.

I haven't tried the Charlie Chocolate Factory (J. Depp) to see the color gamut
Watched a movie, in a room without light, the black is of course not pitch black, but feels heavier than my previous. With normal or low light in the room it really looks just black.

View PostSnakeATWAR, on Nov 25 2008, 06:02 AM, said:

If you are planning on getting an LCD, make sure the screen maintains aspect ratio or is simply 16:9... Just in case you ever need to use it with a PS3 or such... Games look a LITTLE weird at 16:10 instead of 16:9....  :wall:
I think you can adjust that on the Dell 27", you have some options that I'm not sure what effect they have, but I heared some people made their World Of Warcraft have a ratio of 4:3 compared to the usual complain of monitors stretching the WoW aspect ratio over the whole screen (I assume WoW has no widescreen support).
Posted Image

#83 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

View PostSnakeATWAR, on Nov 24 2008, 09:02 PM, said:

You simply adjust your display resolution.  It's not a huge deal.  At the worst, you have to deal with a tiny letterbox, running a 16:9 video on a 16:10 monitor.

Most monitors are 16:10, by the way.
Level 30 Messiah

"EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED."

#84 SnakeATWAR

SnakeATWAR

Moving Target

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

Yes I would if I could, but I run 720p (16:9) on my PS3 on a 16:10 monitor and everything looks a little on the thin side.
Posted Image

#85 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

I have a little issue there.

When the monior is in use some minutes/hours, with a black background you can see a little light bleeding appearing like in the picture (note the pic is a bit exeggerated to make it visible, but it is still noticeable enough on the monitor), it is like two lights at the top left/right. It is not there if the monitor was just activated (at least the booting screen seems eaven), but after some bit time it appears.

Is it normal for the S-PVA panel or should I change the monitor? Those of you who have a Dell Ultra Sharp, can you see if you have this sort of thing aswell?
Posted Image

#86 Snowfella

Snowfella

BFS Arms "Dealer"

• Donator
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:44 PM

If it's not worse than in your illustration then I wouldn't worry about that amount of backbleed, just about all screens will have it and it's more or less just "luck of the draw" on how much your perticular screen will have.

I've got 2 screens on my desk and both have some form of backbleed showing through on dark images.

Has-been, now retired for good.....maybe :devil:

#87 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:02 AM

Sure, but the question rather is, is it ok for that type of monitor. Do you have a (or two) Dell UltraSharp too?

The center and bottom of the screen remain perfect eaven with the black colour (looks really nice) and I'm just unsure if it is some production issue, or just normal for that model and panel.
Posted Image

#88 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 9,142 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:56 AM

I believe this is the version of Displaymate I used to test
and no "artifact" showed up.

not suggesting a return or otherwise..sorry.
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image
http://twitter.com/Acesian_Dehlyte

#89 krise madsen

krise madsen

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:34 PM

View PostPsychomorph, on Dec 4 2008, 03:15 AM, said:

I have a little issue there.

My spanking brand new ASUS laptop display has the same issue (notable during startup), so I checked. It's quite normal. So unless you have real image quality isues (like, I dunno, if you look at a lot of dark images or sumfink), you shouldn't worry about it. I sure don't. :)

Respectfully

krise madsen
"crisis" is my middle name...
------------------------------------------------

Hatchetforce said:

First John Wayne dies in 1979 and then 2 years later the Smurfs show up on NBC. It has been mostly downhill after that.
Posted Image

#90 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:31 PM

I assume you have a TN panel, which is known for bleeding.

I could live with that, my point however is, that if it is not standart case with that monitor, than I have right now the chance to change it, that's why I need dell ultra sharp owners to (dis)confirm this.
Posted Image

#91 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:46 PM

You're probably just seeing the CFLs at max capacity.  You don't see this during a cold start-up because the bulbs are not 'instant on' like LEDs, and are therefore dimmer.  CFLs need to 'warm up' to reach capacity.  This would explain why, after a few hours, it's more noticeable.

The 'UltraSharp' monitors are extremely bright.  Try playing with your settings to dim it down a little, and see if that fixes it.  If you're already at comfortable settings, it could be a few other things.

First, it could be that the monitor needs to be 'worn in' a little bit.  CFLs lose their 'punch' after a few months, so that bleeding may not be an issue further down the road.

Alternatively, it could be a slight flaw in the manufacturing process.  But if you can live with it, I would say to just ignore it.  There are worse things that happen with LCD panels.  At least you don't (I assume) have any lit, dead or stuck pixels.  If it's distracting your enjoyment, tell them you'd like a replacement.
Level 30 Messiah

#92 Tactical Jerky

Tactical Jerky

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:57 PM

I have a Samsung screen, once the stand broke so I called the customer service. On the phone they said that their policy was to send a guy to me who would pick up the screen for repair and also hand me over a temporary replacement, which I could use in the meantime.

The funny thing was that the original screen had a dead pixel and the replacement didn't.

I never heard a thing from them again.

Try to find out if they offer a similar service in case you don't have your old screen anymore. Also better do it soon now you've still got factory warranty.

#93 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

Ok, I requested a replacement. It's just that if I didn't I'd never find peace always asking myself if a replacement maybe would have solved the problem, I just have to try. If the second turns out to be the same, than fine, I only hope it won't be worse. :shhhh:

Aside this little issue, the monitor is great.
Posted Image

#94 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:24 AM

What ever happened with your UltraSharp?  Did you get your exchange unit yet?

I just picked up a 23" Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD for $250.  Couldn't turn down the deal, for a decent 1080p TV and monitor, despite my fatwa against Samsung.

There is some serious light bleeding going on, with the sides of the panel.  Minor 'blue' light bleed on the bottom (a non-issue compared to the sides).

I think I may try my luck with an exchange.  But overall, I may hold on to the model and pass on the new UltraSharp, strictly because of concerns with HDMI audio out on the Dell, as well as the astronomical price difference.

For any '08 model UltraSharp owners out there: have you tried outputting the sound from a PS3 (or comparable device) with your monitor?
Level 30 Messiah

#95 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:55 AM

I heared a RA02 is on the way, I guess better to wait for this.

As for my exchange, the other model was not much different, which gave me some rest as I now know that it is normal for that monitor and was no flaw in the manufacturing process, I guess (I simply had to be sure).
At the moment it doesn't really bother me anymore (you know, you notice things more if you pay more attention to them than necessary). I still hope that it will "wear in" after time, making the picture perfectly eaven, let's see.
Posted Image

#96 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 9,142 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:26 AM

@Psychomorph, glad its sorted out for you...happy gaming on your new monitor... again  :thumbsup:
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image

#97 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:11 AM

Thanks, I'm enjoying it.
Posted Image

#98 zoog

zoog

Master Blaster

• Contributor
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:01 AM

View PostGrendel, on Dec 28 2008, 12:24 PM, said:

I just picked up a 23" Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD for $250.  Couldn't turn down the deal, for a decent 1080p TV and monitor, despite my fatwa against Samsung.

There is some serious light bleeding going on, with the sides of the panel.  Minor 'blue' light bleed on the bottom (a non-issue compared to the sides).
Yeah, they suck. Light bleeding is a real problem with those. I returned mine a few months ago because the quality was simply too shabby (I guess you get what you pay for though) :)
Posted Image

#99 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:38 PM

It looks fine, so long as you don't have a lot of dark scenes.  But considering I benchmarked it watching 'The Dark Knight' in 1080p, well...

It's not bad, considering the price.  $250 hardly gets you a decent monitor, these days.  I would considering 'upgrading' to the UltraSharp 2408WFP; if only I could find some clear answers on the HDMI audio out. :(

But again, three times the price...
Level 30 Messiah

#100 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 9,142 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:37 PM

View PostGrendel, on Dec 31 2008, 09:38 PM, said:

......  I would considering 'upgrading' to the UltraSharp 2408WFP; if only I could find some clear answers on the HDMI audio out. :(
....i'm curious about those HDMI-thingy....since most ppl have some kind of 5.1/7.1 soundcard setup in their PCs.
Aren't those speakers connected directly to the soundcard?
So why run from vidcard's HDMI to monitor, then monitor to speakers? :blink:

the only HDMI experience I got is from PS3 to our Sony Bravia....I don't even need speakers/audio receiver since its loud/clear/surround from the Bravia....plus room is small <_<
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users