BFS Banner

• Please log in to reply

BlackFoot Studios Licenses Epic's Unreal Engine 3!

Started by Jsonedecker, Jun 25 2008 01:24 PM

#41 MONOLITH

MONOLITH

BFS SECURITY

• 7,032 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

I have to laugh at all the times we had to post... "Unreal? Why would you say that? No one said it was the Unreal engine", and then go into the staff forum and say "pheww, that was close".      :rofl:
Posted Image

#42 sfod

sfod

Ranger School Dropout

• Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

YES!!!

#43 Worm

Worm

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:20 PM

Hmmnn... I guessed as much  :whistle: . And that's good news :) Congrats to BFS.

#44 Joey C

Joey C

Ranger School Dropout

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:57 PM

That's great news guys!  Here's to hoping I have a new game to play by the time I get back from Iraq next summer!

Edited by Joey C, 03 July 2008 - 09:25 AM.

"The destination is merely a goal. The real adventure lies in the journey."

#45 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 8,989 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:22 PM

thanks for serving Joey C  :thumbsup:
hopefully John will return the favor by the time you get home safely
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image
http://twitter.com/Acesian_Dehlyte

#46 Warmaster

Warmaster

Ranger School Dropout

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

View PostJoey C, on Jul 2 2008, 12:57 PM, said:

That's great news guys!  Here's to hoping I have a new game to play by the time I get back from Iraq next summer!

Thanks for making this announcement! I am as excited as anyone and have been looking forward to this since the topic came up on GR.net!

Yes, thanks for serving Joey. I too am in Iraq at the time and am patiently awaiting my release to go home and should be there before Thanksgiving. Thanks to all our supporters, you are a blessing :)

#47 FUBAR

FUBAR

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:48 AM

well this is fantastic news, i have been working on some levels in 3dmax, now i can start importing into ut3,
ive been playing with ut3 ed and love it, even more than the RvS engine

now is there any chance we could have scale size? to make mapping a we bit easyer, eg 1uu=20mm etc?
Some of the guys around here might remem me from rvs mapping and id really like to make some maps to be imported once GB is out

Cheers
FUBAR

#48 Jedielk

Jedielk

Ranger School Dropout

• Donator
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:10 AM

I have a couple concerns and I hope they are baseless. I found this site when I was looking for more info on UE3 http://www.unrealtec.../technology.php  It made it look as if UE3 required DirectX 10. Is that so because I really don't want to go to Vista (aka ME2, the broken OS). Secondly I've been waiting on the ATI 4870x2 card which will be out in a few weeks. After Nvidia bought Agiea I wonder about getting PhysX support on my system.

Just wondering. Keep up the good work guys.

#49 zoog

zoog

Master Blaster

• Contributor
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:09 AM

View PostJedielk, on Jul 6 2008, 04:10 PM, said:

I have a couple concerns and I hope they are baseless. I found this site when I was looking for more info on UE3 http://www.unrealtec.../technology.php  It made it look as if UE3 required DirectX 10. Is that so because I really don't want to go to Vista (aka ME2, the broken OS). Secondly I've been waiting on the ATI 4870x2 card which will be out in a few weeks. After Nvidia bought Agiea I wonder about getting PhysX support on my system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think BFS will support DirectX 9 (I remember that being posted somewhere here?)... Although you won't get all the DX10 features if you run it in DX9 mode.
Posted Image

#50 Aldous

Aldous

BFS Thoracic Surgeon

• Administrator
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

View PostJedielk, on Jul 6 2008, 10:10 AM, said:

After Nvidia bought Agiea I wonder about getting PhysX support on my system.
Guaranteed you will have full software PhysX support, and odds are good that you'll have hardware support, if unofficial.
Posted Image

XML is like violence. If it's not working, use more.

#51 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,396 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:04 PM

View PostFUBAR, on Jul 6 2008, 05:48 AM, said:

well this is fantastic news, i have been working on some levels in 3dmax, now i can start importing into ut3,
ive been playing with ut3 ed and love it, even more than the RvS engine

now is there any chance we could have scale size? to make mapping a we bit easyer, eg 1uu=20mm etc?
Some of the guys around here might remem me from rvs mapping and id really like to make some maps to be imported once GB is out

Cheers
FUBAR

We are using the exact same scale as UT3.. so 1cm = 2UU

View PostJedielk, on Jul 6 2008, 10:10 AM, said:

It's Dx9 as well, so it runs with both and just fine on XP.

View PostAldous, on Jul 6 2008, 12:54 PM, said:

Guaranteed you will have full software PhysX support, and odds are good that you'll have hardware support, if unofficial.

Yup... We are using PhysX (it's built into UE3) and fully support hardware PhysX as well.

#52 FUBAR

FUBAR

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:09 PM

Jsonedecker
thanks for very fast reply

and thank you for using simple easy scale :)

#53 RogueDOC

RogueDOC

Moving Target

• Donator
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:26 AM

This is GREAT news. Can't wait to hear/see more.
Posted Image
CORPSMAN - Usually a young, long haired, bearded, Marine-hatin'  Sailor with certain medical skills, who will go through the very gates  of Hell to get to a wounded Marine.

#54 FoxhoundlRED

FoxhoundlRED

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

Im absolutely thrilled and the interest for your project has just spiked up tenfold. Well done, gentlemen, well done. Ive already given your site to a couple of old skool R6 fans to keep an eye on.

One question though- how the hell did you manage to license U3 engine? Isnt that piece of software going for millions + royalties nowadays?

#55 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,396 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:52 PM

Let's just say sticking with something for the long haul usually pays off. Epic is a business and they will attempt to make money where they can and they believe in the little guy. So if there is a deal to be made that supports their business goals, our business goals and supports the smaller studios then they will work to make it happen.

It took a long time to find the right deal for all involved, but they stuck with us until that common ground was found. Epic is a great company to deal with.

#56 FoxhoundlRED

FoxhoundlRED

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

This is really warming my little videogamers heart. I wish you best of luck and maximum utilization of potential of the engine, your own creativity and support from the community.

With the last proper close quarters tactical shooter being released in 2004, theres a whole community in dire need for something fast, tactical, realistic and agressive.

#57 FUBAR

FUBAR

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:59 AM

View PostJsonedecker, on Jul 7 2008, 03:52 PM, said:

Let's just say sticking with something for the long haul usually pays off. Epic is a business and they will attempt to make money where they can and they believe in the little guy. So if there is a deal to be made that supports their business goals, our business goals and supports the smaller studios then they will work to make it happen.

It took a long time to find the right deal for all involved, but they stuck with us until that common ground was found. Epic is a great company to deal with.

Have you ever read the story on ut in the early days,how they started out etc, its just like you guys,ill try and find a link to it
it is very good reading

FUBAR

#58 Swedish_Seb

Swedish_Seb

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:02 AM

Some of the guys around here might remem me from rvs mapping
FUBARNZ from ThePlatoon?
"With a good iron pipe one strikes the whole world with astonishment."
- Socker-Conny (1961-1989)
Posted Image

#59 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:29 AM

View PostFUBAR, on Jul 8 2008, 08:59 AM, said:

Have you ever read the story on ut in the early days,how they started out etc, its just like you guys,ill try and find a link to it
it is very good reading

FUBAR
Surely you mean Unreal as UT came after the event. However Epic started way before Unreal.
Ref: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Epic_Games
Regards
Nemesis

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

#60 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,396 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:35 AM

Yep, I have read that story and it's really pretty inspiring. It shows that no matter what you think of Epic now, the ones that started it all deserve everything they are getting at this point. It's a good read.

Here it is in case people haven't read it before:

http://www.gamespot....real/index.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users