• Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

#42 MONOLITH

MONOLITH

BFS SECURITY

• 7,028 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:20 AM

I've never played a Diablo game before, but I was a Dungeon Siege player and this looks like the same type of thing.

Can anyone give me a comparison of sorts between Diablo and Dungeon Siege?
Posted Image

#43 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:01 AM

One thing about diablo that it had a bit over dungeon siege was how the skills worked. I think the skill advance system in Diablo was much more advanced / balanced than what was in Dungeon Siege.

I loved both games for what they were and they were slightly different from each other. But for the most part both games were about doing loot runs to gain more awesome equipment. Dungeon Siege had the upper hand on looks since it came out later and was an actual 3d enviro game. Where diablo was still bound to its older graphical style which could not add as much depth of detail with the weapon / armor models.

Gameplay for the most part is the same though.

I think if you enjoyed Dungeon Siege you will enjoy Diablo III. Even more so with friends.  :thumbsup:

Guild Wars on the other hand is a bit different and slower paced in regards to combat. For some reason I couldnt get into guild wars as much, I guess its since I really wasnt a PVP type of person, plus hated how painfully slow you would level up and combat to me was a bit boring. If you solo. Though that is also another well done series, just that it didnt fit with my own play style. I will be picking up Guild Wars II just to see what its all about and how much its changed. Really looks like they improved on a lot of things though. Large fanbase too.

"I do nothing different than does anybody when they go work for IBM or any other corporation in the world. Is that corporation doing a service or disservice to society? And if you believe they are doing a disservice and you still work for them what does that make you?" - Slavko Ilic

"You will take over a small central African country, and make five hundred dollars." - soldier of fortune cookies

#44 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,759 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

stop bumping this thread... I almost wet myself thinking there was news of a release date :(((
Still no published release date
Regards
Nemesis

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

#45 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,184 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

View PostMONOLITH, on 14 May 2011 - 06:20 AM, said:

I've never played a Diablo game before, but I was a Dungeon Siege player and this looks like the same type of thing.

:o  :o

D2 was the only game I ever played more than once all the way through (3 times). They are a ton of fun and a complete time suck. It's all about the loot gathering and crafting cool weapons.

#46 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:35 AM

I have never played a Diablo game either John.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Supporter  GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

#47 Fixxxer

Fixxxer

Misfire

• PipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

Diablo is pure hack and slash awesomeness.  I love my deep RPG's, but for over the top slaughtering or monsters and demons, it doesn't get any better than Diablo. Heck, I still play Diablo II. 12 years later. The max resolution of the 2D game is 800x600. It's pixelated and in every aspect outdated. But it's still so damn fun.
Posted Image

#48 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

Necromancer & Assassin all the way

Till they nerfed my necro that is... D:

"I do nothing different than does anybody when they go work for IBM or any other corporation in the world. Is that corporation doing a service or disservice to society? And if you believe they are doing a disservice and you still work for them what does that make you?" - Slavko Ilic

"You will take over a small central African country, and make five hundred dollars." - soldier of fortune cookies

#49 Fixxxer

Fixxxer

Misfire

• PipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:35 PM

I liked every class. But usually I end up back with the Sorceress. I just can't get enough of filling up everyones screen with my Orb. :D
Posted Image

#50 V2_Bloodline

V2_Bloodline

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

Citing cheating, not piracy, Blizzard has announced that Diablo 3 will require players to be connected to the internet at all times, including the single-player campaign.

Source

#51 BOTA:49

BOTA:49

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

Big boo.  I'd much rather have a modding community over the ability to buy and sell in-game items for real money.  Sorry Blizzard, I passed on SC2, and it looks like I'll be passing on D3, as much as I really don't want to.

Team BOTA

♥-Colin

View PostSwedish_Seb, on 01 March 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

And as usual, their opinions are as valid as their grammar.

#52 Fixxxer

Fixxxer

Misfire

• PipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:47 PM

My PC has been constantly connected to the internet for the last 15 years. I don't have any issues with this.
Posted Image

#53 BOTA:49

BOTA:49

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:02 PM

View PostFixxxer, on 01 August 2011 - 05:47 PM, said:

My PC has been constantly connected to the internet for the last 15 years. I don't have any issues with this.

It's not the constant internet connection that bothers me, but the complete anti-mod focus so they can advertise their in-game player transactions is the part that turns me away.  Diablo 2 was awesome, and with the right mods it's infinitely better.  I'm sure that Diablo 3 will be awesome as well, but I refuse to support the mentality that they have towards custom user content for a game like this.

Team BOTA

♥-Colin

View PostSwedish_Seb, on 01 March 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

And as usual, their opinions are as valid as their grammar.

#54 Fixxxer

Fixxxer

Misfire

• PipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

Yeah I can see how that would affect some people. I never played any mods with D2 and only ever played through closed b.net so I'm not so affected by that. To be honest, I never even looked for mods for D2 and didn't even really know that they existed. I am however all about the feedom of modding games so it would be kind of sad if it will be un-moddable.

Has there been a mention of such a thing?

EDIT---

I suppose so.

:(

http://www.gamasutra...yers_At_Bay.php

Edited by Fixxxer, 01 August 2011 - 07:54 PM.

Posted Image

#55 galzohar

galzohar

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

Actually SC2 is very pro-modding with all the custom map scene. You can make some pretty incredible stuff over there, though then again there are limitations as well like file size. But overall very mod-friendly.

Diablo, on the other hand, probably won't have any mod friendliness. I don't think it has much room in a multiplayer RPG that is based on being balanced. Of course mods never hurt to extend the life of the game, but in the case of Diablo I don't consider it a huge loss. There are even mods for Diablo 2 and I never felt the need to even try them, but then again that might just be because they weren't much good due to mod unfriendliness.
You don't mess with the Zohar!
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/galzohar
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/galzohar
ArmA Israel: http://www.arma-il.info

#56 weaselboy

weaselboy

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

View PostFixxxer, on 14 May 2011 - 10:12 PM, said:

Diablo is pure hack and slash awesomeness.  I love my deep RPG's, but for over the top slaughtering or monsters and demons, it doesn't get any better than Diablo. Heck, I still play Diablo II. 12 years later. The max resolution of the 2D game is 800x600. It's pixelated and in every aspect outdated. But it's still so damn fun.

Did you play Torchlight? That was a pretty decent game to give me my Diablo fix without having to reinstall the entire game (again.) As far as Diablo 3 goes, I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. They've announced some changes I disagree with, but those announcements have always been accompanied by "we'll release more details about this aspect of the game later!

#57 Fixxxer

Fixxxer

Misfire

• PipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

View Postweaselboy, on 04 August 2011 - 05:48 PM, said:

Did you play Torchlight? That was a pretty decent game to give me my Diablo fix without having to reinstall the entire game (again.)

I did. And it was a fantastic game. But I bought it under the false pretenses that they were going to be releasing the multiplayer aspect of the game shortly after the release of the game. Fool me once, shame on you. If there's no multiplayer at release for Torchlight 2 I certainly won't buy it this time around.

I just have Diablo II installed still. I play it still. No matter how dated it is it's still one of those games I can't get enough of.
Posted Image

#58 galzohar

galzohar

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:00 AM

A lot of the changes that "people don't like" I actually think will improve the game.

Overall I think not having to respec ever, choosing which skills to use rather than which skills to invest points into so that you actually use 6 skills and 3 passive skills rather than 1-3 skills like we had in d2 plus some 1-point-wonder stuff which IMO were never really a good idea as every skill needs to be a viable full-time-use skill, and since they were 1 point wonders EVERYONE would get them anyway so there was no choice in there.

Stat point placement as you level was just silly eventually. You had very little choice in there and there was little reason to get any more than requirements for gear and rest in vitality except for some small damage increases you could get from str/dex. And anyway you will still be able to choose which stats you want to increase the most in the form of choosing which equipment to use, so it's not like they took stats out of the game. And again without placing stat points as you level there is no need to respec.

The real money AH will just depend on how badly we would need items that can only truly be attained with real money. If they keep things reasonable and make you fully able to enjoy the game without having to trade for overpowered items (see: D2, especially PvP, where this was pretty damn terrible), then it'll be fine.
You don't mess with the Zohar!
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/galzohar
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/galzohar
ArmA Israel: http://www.arma-il.info

#59 weaselboy

weaselboy

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:19 AM

View PostFixxxer, on 04 August 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

I did. And it was a fantastic game. But I bought it under the false pretenses that they were going to be releasing the multiplayer aspect of the game shortly after the release of the game. Fool me once, shame on you. If there's no multiplayer at release for Torchlight 2 I certainly won't buy it this time around.

I just have Diablo II installed still. I play it still. No matter how dated it is it's still one of those games I can't get enough of.

Yeah, info about their multiplayer was convoluted. I think the confusion came from a few early statements made about the MMO and speculation on the flexibility of their mod system (which I see someone HAS put out a multiplayer mod.) I had to go to their forum shortly before release where they definitively stated "no, there will be no multiplayer."

Galzohar, I was really skeptical at first, but the more I read about the changes the more hope I had that they'd make sure there were still ways to customize your character's playstyle. I'm still a tad skeptical, but I suppose as long as it doesn't turn into WoW on B.net (which I've seen some people on other forums stated,) I'm willing to give it a go at full price. And I never had a big problem with the real money AH. I don't see why people did maybe minus the people who want to PvP and don't want to be at a disadvantage due to buying power. But in that case, it seems those people could go to the non-gold AH.

#60 Fixxxer

Fixxxer

Misfire

• PipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:27 PM

View Postgalzohar, on 05 August 2011 - 07:00 AM, said:

Overall I think not having to respec ever, choosing which skills to use rather than which skills to invest points into so that you actually use 6 skills and 3 passive skills...

Sorry for my ignorance, Galzohar. I was just wondering if you could elaborate on this for me. Are you saying there won't be a respec option in Diablo III?

If so, that somewhat saddens me. In Diablo II it worked out okay not having the option but in later patches it really made it difficult. Take the Amazon for example. I loved using Multiple Shot. It was great for off-map clearing. They deemed it too overpowered years and years after the game was released and then implimented the damage penalty with it so it would only do 25% damage.

Balance is fine, but when you create your character and gear them accordingly and have no way of changing it, when they do something like that I would love to be able to respec if I'm not happy with the change.

weaselboy said:

which I see someone HAS put out a multiplayer mod

Link please.

That would make my friends and I extremely happy.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users