Supporter  GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

#3 Aldous

Aldous

BFS Thoracic Surgeon

• Administrator
  • 1,693 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:59 PM

I read a recent discussion on /. or Fark... I'm not certain, and it's not terribly important.

The price differences internationally are weird, but when put into the context of what other things cost in relation to the USD, they become less offensive.

The UK, for example, pays about twice the USD cost for software.  But, their cars cost about a quarter.

The fuel is four times more expensive, but the cars are all very efficient.

Not to rant about the cost of oil or fuel use in the slightest, but the cost of living is about the same, but not for the basics.  For the stuff a step above, it's comparable.  Basically, if you are poor there, you are poor in the US.  If you are middle class, you spend more or less on X but spend more or less on Y, and it balances, frankly.

Picking a single issue and pointing out the price disparity is not really valid; it's true, but it's not a part of the bigger picture.  It's not a part of the why behind it.

Still sucks though.

Edit:  For clarity, I know I'm pulling figures out of my behind, but that's a bit deliberate.  The trends are accurate, just not the figures.  And that's more or less my point.
Posted Image

XML is like violence. If it's not working, use more.

#4 }SkOrPn--7

}SkOrPn--7

Intel Ninja

• PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:31 AM

With anything you wish to buy in Oz just do a search on the net and buy it that way you can purchase it including shipping much less that you can get it in the country and you don't pay GST or taxes too easy I do it all the time. Most shipping from the US is dispatched within 24hrs and lands at your home in 72hrs but word of warning do your research because some items must be returned for warranty to place of purchase even if there is a office in our states. If a item isn't a warranty issue then go for it but use your head with all purchases and you will be ok.

#5 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,836 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:35 AM

View PostAldous, on Jul 2 2008, 06:59 AM, said:

The UK, for example, pays about twice the USD cost for software.  But, their cars cost about a quarter.
hmmm.. I think your way off on that one re-cars.
Example only:

Ford focus US = $14, 775
via http://www.ford.com/...ocus-coupe-2008
Ford focus UK = 12, 495
via http://www.ford.co.u...icelist/-/-/-/-

The models arent exact but the price is about half not quarter. Actually the way that the RHS drive in US is more economical than UK LHS driving as there is less gear changes /brake, acceleration. I prefer driving US style but it doesnt go down to well on UK roads :)
Yes we pay nearly double for software ave $80 (40) for a new title.
Uk Fuel is almost at $2.70 a litre.
Regards
Nemesis

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users