Started by belvucker, Dec 30 2008 12:06 PM

#1 belvucker

belvucker

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

I searched the forums to see if this game will be released into retail stores eg. Gamestop, Best Buy as a hardcopy or will it only be released as a Digital Download from Steam or other online delivery system. I personally hope and pray that it will be available in retail, can someone help enlighten me if the info does exist?  :rolleyes:

#2 krise madsen

krise madsen

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:23 PM

Welcome to the forums :hi:

Sky Gods Info Page

Sky Gods, which will be the first game released, will initially be availible for the PC and PS3 exclusively through digital distribution.

Respectfully

krise madsen
"crisis" is my middle name...
------------------------------------------------

Hatchetforce said:

First John Wayne dies in 1979 and then 2 years later the Smurfs show up on NBC. It has been mostly downhill after that.
Posted Image

#3 belvucker

belvucker

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:27 PM

Hey Krise nice seeing  you here, I've seen you on the GR.net forums, so Sky Gods and Ground Branch will be released by digital distribution? or is it only Sky Gods?

Lawrence

#4 krise madsen

krise madsen

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:50 PM

View Postbelvucker, on Dec 30 2008, 07:27 PM, said:

Hey Krise nice seeing  you here, I've seen you on the GR.net forums, so Sky Gods and Ground Branch will be released by digital distribution? or is it only Sky Gods?

Lawrence

Ultimately, you will all come to the dark side, erm, Blackfoot Forums MUHAHAHA! :devil:

So far, the only "official" info is on Sky Gods.

Long story short, getting boxed copies on the shelves of game stores is a major undertaking, requiring someone with money and connections (i.e. a publisher) to open their wallet. Digital distribution (through download services such as Impulse or Steam) is easier to do. This is also why, apart from the PC, Sky Gods is will initially be released on the PS3 but not the XBOX360: The PS3 allows very large files (i.e. full size games) to be made availible through their digital distribution system, the 360 only small files (like indie mini-games).

If, somewhere along the way, a publisher picks up the title, anything is possible.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Hatchetforce said:

First John Wayne dies in 1979 and then 2 years later the Smurfs show up on NBC. It has been mostly downhill after that.
Posted Image

#5 belvucker

belvucker

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

If, somewhere along the way, a publisher picks up the title, anything is possible.

Well I guess I better start praying  :notworthy: and thanks for the quick replies Krise.

#6 mr.brainless

mr.brainless

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

historically, "the word of mouth" is the best way to sell anything, IF it is good.
"There is one thing I know, and that is that I know nothing" - Socrates

#7 OberstGeil

OberstGeil

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

if you're referring to that book that i use to find in hotel suites in ... interesting .. places :

hell , we don't have 2000 years !

Edited by OberstGeil, 04 January 2009 - 04:36 PM.

#8 charliebrownau

charliebrownau

Moving Target

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

Here is TWO examples of Australian Distributors that you may want to consider to approach to release Ground Branch into the Retail Australian Market

Quite a few games I bought in 2008 were Distributed by Red Ant
(Big Bytes Labeled Games - eg GR1 for AU$9.95 and about 12 other games for the same price range)
http://www.red-ant.c...rSwfVer=9.0.124

QV Software distributed Pain Killer , thou I was disappointed that it came with no LEGIT SERIAL and I had to contact them for one . Otherwise the game was a good price (AU$10 to AU$20 bucks)
and its retail box was fine and the game installed fine.
http://qvsoftware.com.au/about.asp

(Note: I don't work for any of the mentioned companies or get anything from recommending them but I would like to see the game in Australian stores , plus they might not be like certain other companies that expect game developers to change the game to suit the distribution)

Edited by charliebrownau, 10 January 2009 - 05:29 PM.

#9 V2_Bloodline

V2_Bloodline

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

In Malaysia, piracy is a very chronic problem. I won't be going home for several years, but still I want to see BFS games legally breaking into the Malaysian market. As GameStop is somewhat unheard of in Malaysia (even among hardcore gamers), New Era (link here) is probably Malaysia's top retail dog against piracy.

I'm not quite sure how digital distribution (via Steam, etc.) is doing in Malaysia though. No one I know have started purchasing their games through DD yet. Not in Malaysia, not yet.

In Dublin, DD (Steam) & retailers (eg GameStop) are doing fine.

#10 Scorpion1813

Scorpion1813

Pop up Target

• Donator
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:17 AM

View PostV2_Bloodline, on Jan 11 2009, 12:12 PM, said:

In Dublin, DD (Steam) & retailers (eg GameStop) are doing fine.

There's a Gamestop in Dublin (assuming you are talking of Ireland)? I though Gamestop was a US retailer? I know we have EB in the UK.

#11 krise madsen

krise madsen

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:49 AM

View PostScorpion1813, on Jan 11 2009, 07:17 AM, said:

There's a Gamestop in Dublin (assuming you are talking of Ireland)? I though Gamestop was a US retailer? I know we have EB in the UK.

AFAIK, GameStop has purchased EB Games. My local EB store has already been rebranded GameStop, and I believe they will do this globally.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Hatchetforce said:

Posted Image

#12 Scorpion1813

Scorpion1813

Pop up Target

• Donator
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:32 AM

View Postkrise madsen, on Jan 11 2009, 08:49 PM, said:

AFAIK, GameStop has purchased EB Games. My local EB store has already been rebranded GameStop, and I believe they will do this globally.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Oh yeah I knew that but I didn't know they were being renamed. The 2 EB stores in my hometown were simply shut down years ago.

#13 V2_Bloodline

V2_Bloodline

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

What digital distribution platforms are still being looked into; Steam, Direct2Drive, GOG, etc?

#14 Kirq

Kirq

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:31 AM

View PostV2_Bloodline, on 17 April 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

What digital distribution platforms are still being looked into; Steam, Direct2Drive, GOG, etc?

I'm pretty sure it'a going to be steamworks title.
Posted Image

#15 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

Seeing how many people have steam plus it has its own built in features which would be a huge plus for the game Id say Steam would be the way to go at start.

"I do nothing different than does anybody when they go work for IBM or any other corporation in the world. Is that corporation doing a service or disservice to society? And if you believe they are doing a disservice and you still work for them what does that make you?" - Slavko Ilic

"You will take over a small central African country, and make five hundred dollars." - soldier of fortune cookies

#16 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

PT Stud

• PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

The more retailers that offer it the better I think.
Steam is a huuuge base to work from, but don't underestimate GamersGate or other online stores. GG actually has a lot of games on there which require Steam to run. They basically sell you the key, which you can then enter in Steam and download the game from there.
GG has the interesting feature that every purchase you make there gives you 'free money', the more expensive the purchase the more 'Blue Coins' you get. Theoretically you could eventually get a new game for free, but you'd have to buy a ######load of games before that happens. BUT it gives you a chance on a nice discount, which isn't too shabby and a good way to motivate people to buy their games there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users