http://twitter.com/Acesian_Dehlyte

#102 Bota:16

Bota:16

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,552 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:46 AM

No chest puffing here.  I really could care less, just that one of the reasons given for "concern" over a Microsoft product was because Microsoft just copies what others are doing.  And was just pointing out that Apple and just about every other company does the same.  I wasn't comparing who was better at what.  Just that the mp3 player was here before the iPod and the smartphone was here before the iPhone.  Yes Apple has made both of those better, but they didn't "invent" them.  They copied them and put their own "twist" on it.  And the process starts over as other companies will ultimately copy them as well and try to make them better.

BOTA:49 said:

I'm sorry, but that's the equivalent of the Kool Aid guy jumping through my wall, me replastering it, and then the Kool Aid guy jumping back in again. It doesn't make me want any damn Kool Aid!

#103 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:22 PM

Sure, but...there's a world of difference between taking this:

Posted Image

...and turning it into this:  

Posted Image

Not so much the case when you take this:
Posted Image

...and turn it into this:

Posted Image

Oops, I mean this:

Posted Image

See what I did there?

Or, how about taking this:

Posted Image

Or this: Posted Image

Posted Image

Not so much with this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Unfortunately, a static image doesn't really do it justice.  Unless you've come from an age where Windows Mobile is the best there is, I don't think you can appreciate how drastic a change iPhone OS is compared to the competition.  I guess my point is: Apple innovates in this space, whether or not they invented the phone or the music box.  Everyone else copies and follows their lead.  To say otherwise would be ignorant.  Some of the aping is good for competition (like the Palm Pre's WebOS, which was designed by ex-iPhone software developers), and some of it is just kind of sad (Microsoft's attempts with the Zune against the iPod; not to mention their re-skinning of WinMo to look more like the iPhone interface).

Nobody is saying that Apple invented these devices.  But they certainly did make them pretty and easy to use; and in the process, opened the door for a new era of excellent devices.

Were it not for Apple, we'd still be using single-line LCD displays on our mp3 players.  You'd still be cataloguing gigabytes upon gigabytes of media by clicking and dragging folders.  We'd still be using a stylus to navigate with our smartphones; we'd still be paying telecoms for mobile applications and entertainment.  As a whole, these devices wouldn't be nearly as slick as they are today.  And like any big company, Apple can certainly do some bullheaded things (like ignore user requests for expandable memory and so forth).  But they must be doing something right, with the amount of hardware they push.  On top of that, they've changed the mobile playing field with the inclusion of the App Store, which now allows for a 1990's PC development environment (quick, easy release of software to the masses).

So, you want to talk about the second coming?  Then yes, the iPhone is the 'Jesus Phone'.  It pulled smartphones out of the WinMo ghetto.  And now, everyone is trying to copy Apple's design, in a feeble to get a piece of that pie.

The future is looking bright for phones.  But like I said before: the only way Apple is going to lose this game, is if they blow it themselves.
Level 30 Messiah

"EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED."

#104 Bota:16

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:47 PM

I already stated Apple has made the mp3 player and smartphone better than what was on the market before them.  I never said otherwise.  Whoever made them before Apple made them better than anybody else had done up to that point.  Apple changed the market of mp3 players and smartphones.  Now the cycle will repeat itself.  Others will try to one up Apple.  Whether or not they succeed I really don't care.  I never was comparing products of who or what was better.  If Apple becomes a monopoly in the mp3/smartphone market so be it, then kudos to them.  It will be because they continue to make superior products.  I've often contemplated getting an iPhone, but just couldn't make the jump to AT&T as they suck in my part of the country.

I'm sorry, but that's the equivalent of the Kool Aid guy jumping through my wall, me replastering it, and then the Kool Aid guy jumping back in again. It doesn't make me want any damn Kool Aid!

#105 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:54 PM

Get a Palm Pre, my man!
Level 30 Messiah

#106 Bota:16

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:03 PM

Yes the Pre was another one I contemplated, but Sprint is even worse.  It's pretty much Verizon or nothing where I am at.  Supposedly Verizon will be getting the Pre soon.  Looked at some Android phones, but Tmobile isn't any good here either.  I hate Verizon phones but other carriers service is pretty spotty.

#107 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

You must live in a remote-ass town, to only have coverage from one cell provider.  :o

Best bet is to wait it out, I guess.  Verizon could be getting the iPhone, as well.  But the Pre is definitely jumping ship.  I doubt Verizon would be willing to match Sprint's price, though.  That's the bummer.  Sprint's plan really is the best option in town.
Level 30 Messiah

#108 Tactical Jerky

Tactical Jerky

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

View PostBota:16, on Sep 15 2009, 07:02 PM, said:

Who said the ipod, touch, iphone were bad?  Just stating they too copy other companies and if you are going to knock Microsoft or any other company for doing it, then you need to throw Apple in there as well.  I understand some people think Steve Jobs is the 2nd coming of Christ but don't put your blinders on.

Just to take away any possible miscommunication that sometimes takes place on the internet. My reply wasn't in any way meant as an attack towards you. Just a simple question followed by a short explanation behind my reasoning. But can we please refrain ourselves from grabbing supposed thoughts from the other person out of thin air if we have to give somebody the fanboy label?

View PostTactical Jerky, on Jul 13 2009, 08:56 PM, said:

Does anybody by chance know if there is a way to add arrow keys to your keyboard?

For those interested I sort of found what I was looking for. I think it's called 5-Row QWERTY which I believe is part of a package called ikeyEx. It gives you a 5 row keyboard plus 2 customizable boards for special characters. It has arrow keys, but... <_< unfortunately only the Left and Right keys appear to be of any use, at least on sites with search suggestions, Up and Down simple will not work. However it's still very useful, you can grab it from Cydia.

#109 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 9,022 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:10 PM

Hitler's not happy  <_<
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image

#110 Bota:16

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

View PostGrendel, on Sep 15 2009, 03:27 PM, said:

You must live in a remote-ass town, to only have coverage from one cell provider. :o

Best bet is to wait it out, I guess. Verizon could be getting the iPhone, as well. But the Pre is definitely jumping ship. I doubt Verizon would be willing to match Sprint's price, though. That's the bummer. Sprint's plan really is the best option in town.

They all have decent service in my city and probably good enough.  But I always here people who aren't on Verizon around here bitching about their reception/dropped calls/etc.  I can honestly say I have never had a dropped call with Verizon.  I've had Verizon for about 6 years now.

#111 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 9,022 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

a reviewer in Newegg, just mentioned you have to install Service Pack 3 for WinXPPRO for Zune HD....deal breaker for me.

Fact?

I got way too many problem if I install SP3 with too many old periphery.
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image

#112 Bota:16

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:38 PM

How does SP3 impact peripheals than ran under SP2?

#113 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:23 PM

Paging Dr. Raymond.

Although, at that point, it's probably cheaper to buy a netbook and get the OEM copy for free.  Oh, Microsoft.
Level 30 Messiah

#114 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 9,022 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:30 PM

View PostGrendel, on Sep 16 2009, 08:23 PM, said:

cheaper to buy a netbook and get the OEM copy for free.
:nono:

:banned:

:lol:
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image

#115 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:00 AM

Don't forget: GeoDefense: Swarm was released this week, and is on sale for $1.

This game is so much harder than the original that it's almost not even fun.  Man, what a challenge...
Level 30 Messiah

#116 Tactical Jerky

Tactical Jerky

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:06 AM

That is relevant to my interest..

#117 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:55 AM

Let me know if you can get past the second level.  :lol:
Level 30 Messiah

#118 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

Careful, if you're thinking about picking up a Zune HD.  There are apparently some touch screen and software-related bugs to work out, still.

Man, that's ugly.  I've had problems with my iPhone from time to time, but none of them have been that intense.  The worst I've ever come to experience is in having the screen stay black until I lock the phone, sometimes.  But that may have to do with the obscene amount of custom software I've installed (as I never had the problem, previously).

Anyway, it's usually best to wait for the second revision of a product.  So keep that in mind before you buy.
Level 30 Messiah

#119 Tactical Jerky

Tactical Jerky

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:05 PM

3.1 Jailbreak status:
Pwnage (Mac) released.
Greenpois0n (Mac, Windows, Linux) coming soon.

No Mac over here so I'm patiently waiting for a Windows solution, which I expect to be released anytime soon.

And Grendel thinking about it, do you also know if it would be possible to use an iPod that is connected with a wired headset as a bluetooth headset for in-game chat on a PS3? As the PS3 is BT compatible and with the recent 3.x software update I believe the iPod is as well.

#120 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, I'm still holding off on the firmware upgrade.  I'm experiencing a few annoying software glitches with my iPhone, but I'm still not sure it's worth the hassle of losing all of my settings and custom apps, just to upgrade in hopes that the new FW fixes my problems.  Plus, the new FW may be coming out soon, to fix more bugs introduced in the 3.1 update.  :rolleyes:

So far as syncing the iPhone with the PS3: the two devices do not recognize each other, at all.  It would be kind of neat, though.  Oh well.

Like I told you before, the official bluetooth headset sounds amazing, but feels very uncomfortable.  USB headsets work just fine.  Also, the PS Eye (which you will need for motion control, down the line) has an amazing omnidirectional, noise-canceling microphone that is perfectly fine, as well.  The only real downside is that the people playing with you may hear your TV from time to time.  But if you play with headphones, that's a great solution.
Level 30 Messiah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users