Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,944 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:12 PM

Posted Image

http://uk.news.yahoo...th-3fd0ae9.html

http://www.ipads.com/

I see hints of a tweaked PC Tablet that never took off!
Regards
Nemesis

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

#2 Bota:16

Bota:16

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

Still haven't seen a reason for it.  Maybe as an eReader, if reading is your thing.

BOTA:49 said:

I'm sorry, but that's the equivalent of the Kool Aid guy jumping through my wall, me replastering it, and then the Kool Aid guy jumping back in again. It doesn't make me want any damn Kool Aid!

#3 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

Tablet PCs didn't really catch on, why should this?

Just my 2 cents.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Supporter  GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

#4 krise madsen

krise madsen

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:31 PM

I'm getting a "big screen iPhone" vibe off of this, which doesn't strike me as something particularly useful to very many people. Then again, the way people have been throwing money at Apple products since the iPod came out, they could probably stick an Apple badge on dog feces, call it iPoo and still make a killing, *so this will probably sell faster than Apple can make them.

*=edited for clarification

Edited by krise madsen, 27 January 2010 - 06:05 PM.

"crisis" is my middle name...
------------------------------------------------

Hatchetforce said:

First John Wayne dies in 1979 and then 2 years later the Smurfs show up on NBC. It has been mostly downhill after that.
Posted Image

#5 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

Yeah, the iPhone never took off.  Why should this?  :rolleyes:

Just my two cents.

Also, it's 'iPad', not 'iPAD', 'IPAD' nor 'I-PAD'; just like 'MAC' and 'Mac' have different meanings.  

Just my four cents.
Level 30 Messiah

"EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED."

#6 Tactical Jerky

Tactical Jerky

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:55 PM

Yeah I was eager to see their latest toy. Although it seems that it will be a great device I'm not sure if I'll ever buy one. The thing is, it basically is a king-sized iPod Touch/iPhone. In principle there's nothing wrong with that, however this change does throws one of the core features of the iPhone/iTouch out of the window; portability.

The beauty of those devices is that you can put it in your pocket and forget that it's there. This new iPad needs some kind of case or bag if you want to travel with it, and taking that road why not just go for a small netbook instead, and at the same time have a proper keyboard attached to it?

Also the possibility of a device with a glass screen getting damaged really is a thing you have to take into account with this new toy. So you likely do good to carry it inside some sort of casing.

This device IMO completely blows away devices like the Kindle. When I heard about that my first thought was why on earth would you get one of those if you can get an iPhone. With the iPad I see no future for the Kindle.

All in all I do think it will be a neat toy. But for mobillity an iPhone or iPod Touch has my preference.

#7 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

In all seriousness, I think it's the first great leap towards the end goal of touch-computing, and the death of the mouse as a navigational tool.  One could argue the iPhone OS in general was, but until that tech revolutionizes the way we navigate an OS on our computers (or larger devices), we'll be trapped by mice.

I rather like the idea of navigating my computer, entirely by iPhone-level touch responsiveness.  In fact, my only real complaint about my iPhone (besides the fragility of it) is that it is not a full-sized computer.  However, after a few years of using an iPhone, I rather dislike the experience of sitting down on a PC, dragging a stupid cursor icon around to accomplish tasks.  Mobile Safari is a much better (and faster) experience, for navigating websites.  Google Maps is much more intuitive than loading up the actual website.  Touch-operated OS (along with gestures) is the future of computing.  And that doesn't just mean 'tack on touch gestures', like in Win7 -- the OS needs to be completely build on it, from the ground up.  I think this tech will really take off, once they load it into all of their computers, atop of a full OSX install.  My guess is that OSX.7 will be able to run in either environment.

Thumbs up from me.  To the future!  Now, if only they could build a more powerful device, include some multitasking and give me a flash plug-in...

In all honesty, I think we're going to see the same kind of thoughts about the mouse in five years, that we're having about old cell phones, today.  Touch interface is going to make us think "why did we ever use a mouse?", much in the same way people think "how did we ever live without the modern smart phone?"

If I had the cash, I could see myself using this on a daily basis.  It's a nice, book-sized touch computer -- Star Trek-style.  But, like you, I don't really see a point in owning it, having an iPhone in my pocket.  But I can easily see something like this being a requirement for school kids, twenty years from now.  Instead of buying hundreds of dollars worth of paper books and supplies, you just bring your iPad to school.  The teacher syncs your assignments to you, and your 'timed tests' are locked out when the time runs out (no 'drop your pencils' cheating!).  :yes:
Level 30 Messiah

#8 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

View PostGrendel, on Jan 27 2010, 07:35 PM, said:

Yeah, the iPhone never took off.  Why should this?  :rolleyes:

Just my two cents.

Also, it's 'iPad', not 'iPAD', 'IPAD' nor 'I-PAD'; just like 'MAC' and 'Mac' have different meanings.  

Just my four cents.

Posted Image

oh so sorry, wrong thread
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image
http://twitter.com/Acesian_Dehlyte

#9 Thoramir

Thoramir

Dud Round

• PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:58 PM

It looks like it would be a good way to show off photos while holding a conversation (particularly considering the IPS display) and also as an E-book reader. However, I really don't see enough incentive to get one. Perhaps eventually people will come up with some really worthwhile and unique applications for it, but I'm not confident that is going to happen.

Edited by Thoramir, 27 January 2010 - 09:02 PM.

#10 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:31 PM

Business People, who have been using the tablet PCs to show slideshows, presentations, can probably benefit.

Professors, 3D artist, realtors....yep presentation wise.

Hip restaurant menus....hmm, stocks took a dive, maybe time to buy stocks :hmm:

watsayyou G  0:)
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image
http://twitter.com/Acesian_Dehlyte

#11 Brettzies

Brettzies

Pop up Target

• PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:40 PM

I like it.  Looks like a casual laptop to me with potential.  Kind of like  netBook only cooler.  Hello StarTrek.

#12 Thoramir

Thoramir

Dud Round

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:34 PM

View PostBrettzies, on Jan 27 2010, 09:40 PM, said:

I like it.  Looks like a casual laptop to me with potential.  Kind of like  netBook only cooler.  Hello StarTrek.

I'd be inclined to think the same thing if it came with an (optional) stylus. Multi-touch sensitivity is cool, but if had Wacom-like capability in addition to being touch sensitive, I'd definitely get one and use it like a sketch pad and notebook almost constantly. As it is, it seems more like a giant Ipod Touch combined with an ebook reader + some nice presentation capabilities. Time will tell, I suppose.

#13 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:21 AM

Keynote Video.

First of all: capacitive stylus.  Your prayers are answered.

Secondly: iPad has a keyboard dock (which is quite neat, I might add).

Thirdly: I think you guys are missing the bigger picture here.  The iPad (and undoubtedly, future Macs) will all have access to the App Store.  This could potentially 'rescue' the PC software scene by providing one single 'safe' source for people to purchase all of their digital goods.  Think about it: you could grab all of your media players, word processors and various other applications directly from an 'authorized reseller' of sorts.  It certainly beats giving your credit card to a shady website, or dealing with PayPal.

I believe, in time, Apple will shift their focus towards this model.  And it won't be a bad one, provided they staff up and make the approval process rules more transparent.  A big problem with the iPhone app approval process was AT&T, dictating what could and could not be used over their data networks.  Now that Apple's got them by the balls, it seems like they're singing a different tune (iPad data plan prices and lack of contract).

Say what you will about your personal preferences: but a unified App Store for a dominant computing platform is going to change everything.  Apple knows it (with their iPhone OS model).  Google knows it (with Android).

The interesting development in the next few years is going to be watching Apple and Google compete.  Things must still be on relatively good terms, considering the iPad is still using GMaps.  One can only hope that Navigation is still on track for the next iPhone OS update.
Level 30 Messiah

#14 zoog

zoog

Master Blaster

• Contributor
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:16 AM

As far as I know it's still using somekind of LCD/TFT type screen right? I don't see why people would want to read books on it, unless it also has the capability of those eReaders with power for 10.000+ page turnovers with those special displays which are easy on the eyes and readable during daylight/sunlight. I really wouldn't want to read a book on a regular type LCD/TFT screen. That's the whole idea with those eReaders, reads just like a book and very long 'power' supply.

But maybe I missed something, haven't really looked into the specifications yet :)

But it does seem like a good replacement for an internet browsing laptop/netbook which I was planning to buy besides my current game pc. I actually really like it to have a pad lying around in the house which you can use whenever you want with touch screen etc. And if you need to write something long you just attach a keyboard. Hmmm, I think I want one!
Posted Image

#15 zoog

zoog

Master Blaster

• Contributor
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:46 AM

Ok, I'm definately sold. Been reading a bit on their website and watched the videos. ######, I must have one. Grendel is right, this is the future, intuitive touchscreen navigation, completly natural. And with a reasonable entry price it's also available for the 'regular' consumer. I never really mind the newest technology, I even have the most basic phone for $30. But this Ipad brings an intuitive portable interface where there is no layer between you and what you input (like a mouse), you just do (it's probably nothing new for iPhone users :P). And at a very good price.

One downside is the flash memory, it start from 16GB up to 64GB. But if you want to get a nice entry price you won't be able to store that much music, videos and high res photos on the thing. Don't know how big OSX is, but there is not much space left of the 16GB once installed I assume. The models should have started from 40GB up to 120GB. Of course it would impact the price a lot so I understand the decision to get an entry level product, but still...need-more-space-for-fancy-media-and-apps!

But in short: DO WANT!
Posted Image

#16 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:58 AM

One thing to remember is it does not support Flash. With many websites using Flash now, you will be missing lots of content and be getting the plug-in warnings.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Supporter  GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

#17 Whisper_44

Whisper_44

Master Blaster

• 2,607 posts
  • Platform:Console gamer

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:12 AM

One thing to remember is it does not support Flash. With many websites using Flash now, you will be missing lots of content and be getting the plug-in warnings.

- an inconvenience? Yes, but not a show stopper. I'm able to do 95% of my browsing on my iPhone without issue.

#18 dporter

dporter

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

This is kind of cool for someone like me who is about to get rid of the big bulky PC sitting on my desk.  I've come to the point where I don't want to build my PC any more and go through that hassle.  I want something mobile.  

The biggest surprise for me was the price.  $499 for the base price for an apple product is pretty amazing.  I thought for sure you'd be paying an arm and a leg for this just for the apple stamped on it.  I also like that it's 1.5 pounds.  For it's size, that is pretty light.

The only thing I'm not sure about is if this would truly replace my desktop any time soon.  One thing we want to get in to as a family is video editing home movies with the HD camcorder.  I'm not sure if this would work well as a video editor but I haven't really seen all the specs yet so I'll have to wait and see.  It would be nice if it had the capabilities to work with HD video content because I really like the video editing tools that apple has.  

One thing though that always worries me with the touch screen is how messed up it can get.  There will be a lot of maintenance after each use and I'm sure writing on it with the stylus all the time can't be good for it.  

They should have thought of a little bit better name too.  It sounds like it's that time of the month for Steve.

#19 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:11 AM

There's zero-to-no maintenance needed for capacitive touch screens.  It detects a charge, and it relays the coordinates .  There is very little physical wear-and-tear on the device.  I believe you're thinking about resistive screens (which can be damaged by repeated and varied amounts of pressure).

The mobile OS install is actually quite small (200MB or so on the iPhone).  With the iWork suite of touch apps on the iPad, that probably only adds 100MB or so.  It's an extremely light OS.

Flash isn't really an issue, unless you watch flash videos.  Other than that, flash isn't that big on the internet.  And you don't really miss it when it's not around.  You can navigate almost everything without it; not to mention the fact that many websites have mobile-optimized versions.
Level 30 Messiah

#20 Thoramir

Thoramir

Dud Round

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:29 AM

View Postzoog, on Jan 28 2010, 05:16 AM, said:

As far as I know it's still using somekind of LCD/TFT type screen right? I don't see why people would want to read books on it, unless it also has the capability of those eReaders with power for 10.000+ page turnovers with those special displays which are easy on the eyes and readable during daylight/sunlight. I really wouldn't want to read a book on a regular type LCD/TFT screen. That's the whole idea with those eReaders, reads just like a book and very long 'power' supply.

But maybe I missed something, haven't really looked into the specifications yet :)

But it does seem like a good replacement for an internet browsing laptop/netbook which I was planning to buy besides my current game pc. I actually really like it to have a pad lying around in the house which you can use whenever you want with touch screen etc. And if you need to write something long you just attach a keyboard. Hmmm, I think I want one!

Wow, I'm really surprised they didn't mention that in the video with Jon Ive and the other designers. I tried watching the keynote last night, but my internet was crapping out yet again (I think it's time to ditch my ISP). Now you've got me seriously thinking about it. . .  I know software distribution for it will be primarily through the App store, but I wonder if it could run photoshop.

View Postzoog, on Jan 28 2010, 05:46 AM, said:

Ok, I'm definately sold. Been reading a bit on their website and watched the videos. ######, I must have one. Grendel is right, this is the future, intuitive touchscreen navigation, completly natural. And with a reasonable entry price it's also available for the 'regular' consumer. I never really mind the newest technology, I even have the most basic phone for $30. But this Ipad brings an intuitive portable interface where there is no layer between you and what you input (like a mouse), you just do (it's probably nothing new for iPhone users :P). And at a very good price.

One downside is the flash memory, it start from 16GB up to 64GB. But if you want to get a nice entry price you won't be able to store that much music, videos and high res photos on the thing. Don't know how big OSX is, but there is not much space left of the 16GB once installed I assume. The models should have started from 40GB up to 120GB. Of course it would impact the price a lot so I understand the decision to get an entry level product, but still...need-more-space-for-fancy-media-and-apps!

But in short: DO WANT!

I think my OSX Snow Leopard installation is about 3 maybe 3.5 gigabytes, the iPad version will be significantly smaller, I'm sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users