Started by Nemesis, Jan 27 2010 03:12 PM

#41 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:15 AM

And the iPad gets stolen in...three...two...one...

This kind of stuff will be standard in five years (with turn-by-turn GPS).  When that day comes - and when these babies fold back into the dash facade when the car turns off - I'll be excited.  Until then, we wait (and use our future phones)!
Level 30 Messiah

"EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED."

#42 jwp1223

jwp1223

MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!!

• Donator
  • 1,745 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:20 AM

This summer, I will be getting the HTC Evo 4G...Oh yes...and maybe an IPad....dun dun dun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and... :nothingtoadd:
Ground Branch...Sweet Baby Jesus it's good
We came for the game, we stayed for the community.
It's hotter than two rats screwin in a wool sock out there.

View PostWhiteKnight77, on 16 June 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

When the trolling memes start appearing, you know you have stepped over the line and lost all credibility.

#43 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:57 AM

:whispers: The 2nd gen will probably come out April next year. with more features......Kindle included free
:shhh:
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image
http://twitter.com/Acesian_Dehlyte

#44 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:47 AM

I can haz iPad.

They beat you to the punch.
Level 30 Messiah

#45 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

View PostGrendel, on Apr 6 2010, 07:15 AM, said:

This kind of stuff will be standard in five years (with turn-by-turn GPS).  When that day comes - and when these babies fold back into the dash facade when the car turns off - I'll be excited.  Until then, we wait (and use our future phones)!
Im waiting for the first Business to use it solely as a business solution  :rolleyes:
At current like the iPhone..its just a neat gadget. It has potential yes.....will they be realised...doubtful. We will have to wait & see :)
Regards
Nemesis

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

#46 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:11 PM

What do you mean?  Tons of businesses use the iPhone.  It's used in place of RIM devices.  Most still use Blackberries to communicate, but the iPhone is gaining significant ground.  I think you're going about this the wrong way, if you're trying to get excited about gadget uses in enterprise.  Do you think about your PS3 the same way?

"Well, sure, it plays movies and games -- but I wonder how the computational load improves my spreadsheets!?"

Besides, what kind of 'solely as a business solution' tasks are you speaking of?  Most business work is working on spreadsheets, or sending emails.  A touch interface isn't going to replace the need for Excel or traditional email programs; it will, however, make that interaction more natural.

You say that you're doubtful that the potential of touch-based computing will come to fruition (or am I reading too much into your response?).  Pray tell, what insight do you have on the subject?  What sort of potential is there for business use, that will supposedly not occur?  The device has been out for a little over a week, and already, you're not convinced?

I think it's quite obvious, even for skeptics, that the days of being tied to the mouse and keyboard are limited.  It's much more satisfying to navigate the web with your hands, than it is with a mouse; it's more personal.  The same will hold true for navigating menus.  I have multitouch gestures on my trackpad, and I still prefer surfing on the iPhone.  A keyboard dock (like the iPad's) will always be handy for pounding out documents (or code), but the mouse will more-than-likely be delegated to gaming peripheral status within the decade.

It's a bit short-sighted to not see how devices like this will effect other sectors, like education.  For example, gaze upon the majesty of Theodore Gray's "The Elements" ebook, designed for the iPad.  Can you imagine our bright medical and scientific students, growing up in a world with this wonderful technology?  There are iPhone apps for medical students that beat the pants off of some of the traditional textbooks out there.  I can tell you this: I would've much preferred working off of medical textbooks designed in this fashion, as opposed to the ones I studied from.  And all of this will come to be.  We will have interactive encyclopedias, cheaper and more widely available 'books'.  Some universities already recognize this, and are planning for a future where iPads replace fifty pounds of books in your bag.

Remember buying your university books?  Remember the thousands upon thousands of dollars you spent on them, only to have the new edition come out the next year; single-handedly destroying any 'resale' value your books may have had?  Imagine being able to acquire the new edition by way of a simple patch.

Imagine a law student, who can quickly 'search' his book to reference historical case settlements; and when they're available, imagine being able to study the evidence in some of these cases (rendered as audio and visual clips).  Think about how much time and money will be saved.  The level of interactivity simply cannot be topped by your typical paper books.

But that's neither here nor there.  You're not a student, and neither am I.  But think about the ways in which you will be able to enjoy your entertainment.  Imagine reading your favorite magazine on the device; but instead of seeing pictures of the latest games, you can watch videos, or listen to interviews.  I've renewed my subscription to the relaunched EGM.  I prefer 'print editorial' to blogs, because I feel that the conversations are a bit more mature and established.  Included with my subscription, is an interactive version of the magazine, that will be tailored for the iPhone and iPad.  It's a bit rough, as they were working from old content, and created this only as an example of what their product may look like (I've seen some of the first actual issue, and it's bigger than this).  In my humble opinion, this is awesome stuff.

So, think about reading your favorite interactive gaming magazine - a magazine that is not only interactive - but ties into the internet as well.  You're reading about a game, and it sounds as if it may be something you'd enjoy.  Instead of searching google for videos, you just click on the screenshot they provided, and it brings up a video clip they've recorded to illustrate a point.  You're sold on the game, now.  Instead of jumping into google to search, or going to the shoppe down the street, they've provided you with an amazon link.  Ordered and shipped, all within your magazine.

Imagine sitting down with your kids, and reading them an interactive storybook.  My favorite book, as a kid, was Eric Carle's "The Very Hungry Caterpillar".  Think about how something like this could be improved, with some amount of interactivity and moving images.  Imagine if you could toggle a mode that showed the pages of the book being 'painted on'.  At the very least, think about how cool it would be to have a 'director's cut' feature in these books.  Think about being able to watch the video in that link, when your kid asks you, "How did they make this?"

You can hum and haw over Apple's attitude, all you want.  I'm a bit tired of it, and I'm an Apple user.  You can complain about their stance on app restrictions.  I agree, it can be kind of stupid.  You can hate Apple because you're a Microsoft man, or because you're a Google man.  That's fine, too.  But you can't deny that the next ten years of touch computing aren't going to be super ######ing cool.  And you can thank Apple for that vision.

Me?  Well, I'm a bit more excited for Microsoft's Courier; provided they don't ###### it up (translation: "provided it's actually real").  :)

Bring on the future!
Level 30 Messiah

#47 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:47 PM

Grendel, Handbrake is acting up and won't mp4 my movies so I can send to iTunes
u got any alternative?
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image

#48 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

Doubletwist.  Easy, idiot-proof 'drop-to-encode-for-X-Device' operation.

I'm a big fan of AVIDemux, as well.
Level 30 Messiah

#49 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:12 PM

View PostGrendel, on Apr 14 2010, 11:03 PM, said:

Doubletwist.  Easy, idiot-proof 'drop-to-encode-for-X-Device' operation.

I'm a big fan of AVIDemux, as well.
mind if I PM u?
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image

#50 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

View PostGrendel, on Apr 15 2010, 03:11 AM, said:

What do you mean?  Tons of businesses use the iPhone.  It's used in place of RIM devices.  Most still use Blackberries to communicate, but the iPhone is gaining significant ground.  I think you're going about this the wrong way, if you're trying to get excited about gadget uses in enterprise.  Do you think about your PS3 the same way?

Forget the PS3 its a gaming console...not an enterprising tool.
For the iPAd t be truely revolutionary & realease the archaic mouse user boundaries it needs to be adopted by the masses. A LARGE part of those masses are buisnesses & this is wher th iPad falls down. It cant be used in its current state to remove all of the buiness laptops & still allow for business performance.

Note: A key word there "current", this doesnt mean there isnt potential but there would be soo much required to be changed I dont know if it would be viable anyway butthat is where the ability to throw the mouse in the bin would possibly come from.

The device has been out for a little over a week, and already, you're not convinced?
Sorry Grendel but I see this as another "flash in the pan"...maybe its the start of something revolutionary...but its not what I would call "the revolutionary device", which is how your previous posts read to myself.

I think it's quite obvious, even for skeptics, that the days of being tied to the mouse and keyboard are limited.  It's much more satisfying to navigate the web with your hands, than it is with a mouse; it's more personal.  The same will hold true for navigating menus.  I have multitouch gestures on my trackpad, and I still prefer surfing on the iPhone.  A keyboard dock (like the iPad's) will always be handy for pounding out documents (or code), but the mouse will more-than-likely be delegated to gaming peripheral status within the decade.
Speech recognition is the way forward IMHO. Less is more :)

...Remember buying your university books?  ....Imagine a law student, who can quickly 'search' his book ...But that's neither here nor there...So, think about reading your favorite interactive gaming magazine.....
Imagine sitting down with your kids, and reading them an interactive storybook
LOL...but thats already there today...its called the internet ;-)

You can hum and haw over Apple's attitude, all you want.  I'm a bit tired of it, and I'm an Apple user.  You can complain about their stance on app restrictions.  I agree, it can be kind of stupid.  You can hate Apple because you're a Microsoft man, or because you're a Google man.  That's fine, too.  But you can't deny that the next ten years of touch computing aren't going to be super ######ing cool.  And you can thank Apple for that vision.
...er nope... Apple just made it marketable to the masses. As already stated Wacom had a touch screen overlay 15 years ago. It just never took off.

Me?  Well, I'm a bit more excited for Microsoft's Courier; provided they don't ###### it up (translation: "provided it's actually real").  :)
Bring on the future!
IMHO it Looks like a poor attempt to compete & mimicks an iPad rip off.

...this is more along the lines of Revolutionary Tech for myself as weve already discussed :)))
http://www.blackfoot...?showtopic=4400
Regards
Nemesis

#51 RAbbi

RAbbi

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:18 PM

A friend here has an iPad.  I like it.  A LOT.  I want one.  And I'll probably have mine by Summer's end...
The Order of the Liquidators

Posted Image

"Prepare for unforeseen consequences." -G Man

#52 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

I don't think the iPad was ever marketed as an 'enterprising tool', either.  Now that I think of it: neither was the iPhone, nor the iPod.  And would you look at that: probably the two biggest commercial successes of consumer tech in the history of the world; two devices that entirely defined and dominated their respected markets.  The next closest thing is probably the Sony Walkman.

How 'adapted by the masses' does it need to be?  How about selling over 500,000 units in the span of a weekend?

Like I said, the device has been out for a little over a week and you're not convinced.

I guess my point is: the internet is so under-utilized and so young.  The way in which we interact with it is quite primitive.  Touch-based gestures (and eventually voice) are clearly the way forward, until we reach the "Demolition Man" point.  While I don't disagree that the days of the Microsoft Home are coming, it's safe (and rational) to say that we're still a ways off from it.  The key difference between my theory and yours is: touch-based computing is actually here.  I can go to the store and buy a thin 'booklet' computer that offers me a fresh take on navigation.  I cannot, despite my assumed unlimited wealth, go into a store and pick up a "Microsoft Home Of The Future" kit.  

So, while projection gestures are neat and affordable, we're just scratching the surface of viable voice search and operation; and becoming a full-on gesture-cyborg with fingertip-crayons is still a ways out.  Will we have sci-fi, holographic, wrist-mounted computers in the future?  Oh, I have no doubt in my mind.  Until that day comes, we'll just have to be more reasonable.

Just sit down with an iPad, and go through your average day.  Check the news, look at stocks, check your mail.  All of it is extremely smooth and quick.  Going back to the traditional mouse-based navigation feels so dated and cumbersome.  It's not perfect (due to lack of multitasking, at the moment), but it is quite comfortable.

Like I said: you may not agree with the company who produced it, and you may have your prejudices.  Those aside, it's a remarkably neat peak into what will be the norm in a few years time.

I wouldn't call this my 'dream device', but it certainly is revolutionary in delivering the first, marketable touch-computing solution, outside of a smartphone.  Yes, I realize 'tablet PCs' have been around for a number of years.  The key difference - as mentioned previously - is that this OS is specifically designed to be used with your fingertips.  In five years time, when the entire Apple product line is following in the footsteps of this device, I imagine we will refer to it as having been 'revolutionary'; much along the same lines of how the original 'brick' iPod is viewed as a revolutionary device, responsible for kick-starting the MP3 player craze.

Also, what Wacom product (or design) are you referring to?  Wacom is known for electromagnetic tablets, which interact with pens.  The only multitouch device they've released is the Bamboo tablet (which is only capable of tracking two points).  What sort of 'overlay' do you speak of?  Wacom's only foray into the LCD market is with the Cintiq line (which, again, uses electromagnetic resonance to track along the X,Y coordinates, using a pen).  Is there some industry secret / scandal I'm missing here?

I just don't get you, sometimes.  How can anyone in their right mind look at that Courier concept video and not get excited?  Some people will just never be satisfied, I guess...
Level 30 Messiah

#53 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:51 AM

....VHS vs Betamax, CD vs Vinyl, DVD vs VHS, iPod vs MP3, iPhone vs Mobiles, iPAD vs ???....PC ??? Laptop???...Notebook??? PCTablet???

Ok to save requoting & quoting etc.. I''ll break it down from my understanding.

So far you are in awe of the iPAD stating its revolutionary in terms of moving technology forward, aiming the APPstore as the most prestigious method of acquiring software & deeming that Touchscreen is the next evolutionary step in navigating in the computer environment.

...if Ive got anything wrong there please put me right :thumbsup: as thats just my summary from what Im reading/interpreting.

What I am saying is that I disagree with such comments & find the iPAD as just another "gadget" rather than the revolutionary leader. My point about being Revolutionary is that it cant replace the technology that already exists, my prime account was enterprise businesses as an example to which you agree that spreadsheets etc wouldnt be improved.
We both agree that voice activation is the way forward. Voice Technologies have been around for almost 20 years now (Dragon Dictate has been going for that long & has been manged by 4 differing companies...but this app is only a step in the right direction not a complete solution). Wacom did realease a touch-screen overlay system that looked like the old "sit on the CRT screen anti-glare frame" it operated with Windows 3.11 & Win95. I know it exists as we were shipping the odd few around the globe as Wacoms distributor. You probably wont find tech on the net as it never seemed to take off...it was too much too soon & people never took it up & saw the possibilities. I was soo impressed I nearly bought one myself but opted for a cheaper Creative Light pen & Tablet option instead for the artside of my activities.
In fact the iPAd is one thing that cant do all of my daily activities. Im modelling in 3D, rendering for days on end, emailing, webbrowsing, forum posting, gaming etc etc.

So to summise my side, its another gadget. A good gadget .. I dont disagree. The foreruner to the future way for working & doing things though.. I do disagree.

..Ill see where the iPAD goes in a year or so to see what is created for it & how it can adapt at becoming revolutionary but in the meantime...well, you know my view :)

I respect your view...but I just dont agree with the "Wow!" hype & agree Im an iPAD "Naysayer" but its only because I want more than whats been delivered  ;-)

As for the courier...oh come on! Its just marketting a product in competition with the iPad even the design looks similar the touch interface is the same "pinch" etc etc....do I really need to continue. Rub your eyes Grendel & look at what it is rather than just seeing it :thumbsup:
Regards
Nemesis

#54 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:04 AM

..so we dont go too far off topic future tech is discussed here:)
Regards
Nemesis

#55 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:08 AM

I want one for all the wrong reasons
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image

#56 Thoramir

Thoramir

Dud Round

• PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

I am posting from an iPad. I do not think I will be getting one.

P.S. Where is the apostrophe?

#57 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

View PostThoramir, on Apr 16 2010, 02:13 PM, said:

I am posting from an iPad. I do not think I will be getting one.

P.S. Where is the apostrophe?

extra characters = $$$
:lol:
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image

#58 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

how to print from iPad  0:)
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image

#59 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:13 PM

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

0:)
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image

#60 RAbbi

RAbbi

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:35 AM

View PostRAbbi, on Apr 16 2010, 03:48 AM, said:

A friend here has an iPad.  I like it.  A LOT.  I want one.  And I'll probably have mine by Summer's end...

BOUGHT.  Love it!

First, it's pretty practical for me.  A lot of my teachers/professors here post their lecture notes ahead of class either to a website or via email, so I can take those and convert to PDF.  Then I email them to myself, download from the Mail app on my iPad, and VOILA!  I have lecture notes in iBooks, portable.  Nice...

It's a pretty good deal for a college student- most campuses are covered in WiFi, so this lets me have a roughly laptop-size screen, more-or-less full keyboard, and internet connectivity, without carrying an actual laptop around with me.  And with a MobileMe account, it synchronizes my contacts, calendar, and so on, over the internet connection, without having to go back to my Mac to connect the two.  The Mac office suite (Pages, Keynote, and Numbers) is available for iPad for a grand total of $29.97 ($9.99 each) from the iTunes store.  I can get Kindle reader for free.

Mind you, my second major (Russian Language- it's finally a proper Foreign Language degree program here) is very literature-intensive, so having the ability to download and read these books/stories (many are free, thanks to Project Gutenberg (sp?), at least in translation) at my leisure without carrying them around physically, is a big plus.

iPad is a really great asset for a student.  I can see the potential for an iPad 3G in enterprise, as well.  A friend who owns a portable toilet business recently talked with me about developing a software system for his business, for which I think the iPad 3G, with its GPS capabilities, would be an ideal device.

GARSH, I love this thing!
The Order of the Liquidators

Posted Image

"Prepare for unforeseen consequences." -G Man

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users