Started by Cpl Ledanek, Mar 02 2010 05:45 PM

#1 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 8,897 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

Activision and Infinity Ward have both been publicly quiet about what happened between the two companies yesterday. It can, however, be confirmed that both heads of the studio, president Jason West and CEO Vince Zampella, have confirmed they're no longer with Infinity Ward.
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image
http://twitter.com/Acesian_Dehlyte

#2 dporter

dporter

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

whoa, days of our lives Infinity Ward style.

#3 Tactical Jerky

Tactical Jerky

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

That caught my attention as well. I'm also reading rumours about "bodyguards" suddenly showing up at Infinity, hired to kick out/prevent (?) those two from entering the building.

#4 Livo

Livo

Ranger School Dropout

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:26 AM

Both Jason West and Vince Zampella have been fired, Inifinity has formed a new company to make one CoD game every year, as well as apparently a subscription based CoD game.

http://www.pcworld.c...iness_unit.html

http://www.wired.com...10/?tk=rel_news

And you guys thought Ubi were bad...

#5 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,357 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

Activision is turning out to be very bad for this industry. Games are becoming commodities.

#6 MONOLITH

MONOLITH

BFS SECURITY

• 7,032 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

Eek.
Posted Image

#7 will wabbit hunter

will wabbit hunter

Dud Round

• PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

jezz whatever happened to taking a rest. they are fools thinking video gamers want a call of duty game every year. and it's the same for films. fans of star trek don't want a star trek film every year or a transformer film every year.

#8 Whisper_44

Whisper_44

Master Blaster

• 2,607 posts
  • Platform:Console gamer

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:39 AM

The plot thickens - here

In a press release filed by their attorneys, West and Zampella claim Activision "terminated their employment weeks before they were to be paid substantial royalty payments as part of their existing contracts for Modern Warfare 2."

An SEC filing from Activision shows the publisher was investigating "two senior employees" at Infinity Ward for alleged insubordination and breaches of contract, a probe the duo's lawyer calls "unsubstantiated."

#9 krise madsen

krise madsen

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:16 PM

From what I've gleaned on various sites on the net, what exactly went down and why is not clear. However, either Activision is being extremely short-sighted (like worrying about the next quarterly financial report in an industry that deals with two-year development schedules) or (more likely) it's a turf fight over the rights to the Modern Warfare IP.
"crisis" is my middle name...
------------------------------------------------

Hatchetforce said:

First John Wayne dies in 1979 and then 2 years later the Smurfs show up on NBC. It has been mostly downhill after that.
Posted Image

#10 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,357 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

My guess is its a turf fight over the rights. I know that it's a split IP ownership kind of thing where Activision owns the COD ip, but I believe IW owns either the Modern Warfare IP as a whole or just the name. If IW was trying to split with the MW IP then it doesn't surprise me that Activision is playing dirty to keep it's Billion Dollar cash cow.

What I am sketchy on is if Activision doesn't own IW then how does it have the ability to fire it's management?

#11 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

View PostJsonedecker, on Mar 6 2010, 02:18 PM, said:

What I am sketchy on is if Activision doesn't own IW then how does it have the ability to fire it's management?

Activision does own Infinity Ward.  They are an Activision company.  And Infinity Ward didn't 'create' a new studio; Activision funds the Visceral Games douchebags' new company: Sledgehammer Games.  They're making an (alleged) third-person COD game of sorts, and is supposed to be more of an action-adventure game.

What I'm hearing is - in part of the contractual buy-out of Infinity Ward - the founders control the IP.  The deal was supposedly pitched as "Yeah, you can own our company (and basically make all of the money), because we have this killer IP.  However, we decide what happens with the IP."  Something along those lines.

So, because of whatever was in their contracts when they sold the company to Activision, they believe they have the contractual right to the CoD IP (or at least the 'Modern Warfare' brand).  In which case, EA would promptly bankroll an 'Infinity Ward 2', and all IW employees would most likely jump ship.  Should be an interesting court battle, to be sure.  And unless they have a clear-cut case, they're not going to out-last Activision's row of attorneys.

Either way, I imagine EA is going to snatch these dudes up and throw them onto the DICE team, or form a new studio.

And this is why I never support Activision...
Level 30 Messiah

"EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED."

#12 MONOLITH

MONOLITH

BFS SECURITY

• 7,032 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

The real suck ass part right now would be this...

West and Zampella claim Activision "terminated their employment weeks before they were to be paid substantial royalty payments as part of their existing contracts for Modern Warfare 2."

Can you imagine being largely responsible for a billion dollar winner, and then being kicked to the curb just before you get your piece of the money pie? Just imagine the things these guys planned for their families etc, thinking that paycheck was coming.

Brutal.
Posted Image

#13 Grendel

Grendel

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

It sucks, but I wouldn't worry about those dudes too much, man.  They're pretty well off.  You know some douche at Activision pulled the trigger, knowing that the bonus hadn't gone out yet.  But still, these guys are pretty loaded as it is.  They'll be fine.  And besides, you know EA is going to hire the ###### out of them.

But hey, getting laid off right before your company hands out bonuses for huge sales of your games?  Now, where have I experienced that before?

Oh, right...  :angry:

The video game business isn't as glorious as you would think...
Level 30 Messiah

"EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED."

#14 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,357 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:35 AM

View PostGrendel, on Mar 7 2010, 12:15 AM, said:

The video game business isn't as glorious as you would think...

That is the truth my man!

#15 zack991

zack991

Human Claymore

• Donator
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

Some extremely bad shady BS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users