#121 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 9,040 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:50 AM

View PostPsychomorph, on 03 December 2010 - 05:11 AM, said:

Maybe I should consult some computer tech forum?

maybe here @ XtremeSystems Memory Forum
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image
http://twitter.com/Acesian_Dehlyte

#122 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

A more or less positive development.

My situation a couple of days ago was that I couldn't unpack the game demo without CRC errors, had a blue screen and two more during a game. I had no blue screens since and today I successfully unpacked and installed the ArmA2:OA demo, without me applying any fixing attempts. The MemTest I did back then, gave me error messages every second. Now I did it for a minute (1% Coverage) and had no errors (so far).

So that means my problem is not a permanently broken state, but a random (or not so random) occasional occurrence, which is good (or at least better than a permanently broken state).

Problem remains to identify what causes the malfunctions. Maybe it is really a bad BIOS configuration, if so I have to see if I can figure it out. Maybe it is really overheating? Today the rear fan suddenly started to spin real hard for a couple of seconds and the exiting air felt warm. The fans never did this before (always spinning at a normal rate) and the exiting air is always rather cool. Maybe it is a sign of overheating.

The PC is not standing in a really open place, but the only place I could put it in. So my plan for now is to check the overheating theory, by using some advanced heat controlling tool (I'll search the net), let's see what it'll tell me. As for the wrong BIOS setting theory, no idea so far, but I'll look into it. The Motherboard manual says, if the PC is running without issues, updating the BIOS is rather not advised, but if it doesn't, than a BIOS update might be a solution. Perhaps it is the option.

@Cpl Ledanek:
Thanks, I see if I can find help there.
Posted Image

#123 galzohar

galzohar

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:50 PM

Keep track of your CPU/GPU/whteaver temperatures via some overlay tool so that you can see it while playing games as well and know what it was right before the blue screen hit. Though if it's the RAM temperature I'm not sure it'll show like that, but if the entire inside of the case is super-hot due to CPU/GPU heat then other stuff are more likely to overheat as well.

How hot was your computer during the failed memtest?

Can you run memtest overnight to let it complete multiple times to make sure you get no errors?

Do you have RAM you can borrow to replace and test?

Memtest means actions to the memory failed, not that the memory is bad, but usually it really is the memory. In any case it does prove that something is wrong with the hardware, 100%.

Once you do get everything fixed hardware-wise, I recommend reformat and reinstall on everything. If your memory was bad during windows installation you could have stuff remain messed up in your OS even after you fixed the hardware issue.

Edited by galzohar, 09 December 2010 - 12:51 PM.

You don't mess with the Zohar!
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/galzohar
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/galzohar
ArmA Israel: http://www.arma-il.info

#124 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:30 PM

Temperature seemed normal. I think I even checked the exiting air after a blue screen once, it was as it always is, quite cold actually. The air exiting the power supply is not as cold, but fresh. When I run it with opened case, can not feel any heat.

I did update the BIOS from version F9 to F11. So far no problems, but I need to wait to see how it acts on the long run.
Posted Image

#125 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

Another case:

I'm switching internet provider, the current still runs (WLAN modem) and the new already installed (cable router and WLAN modem), but cant get internet access with new. No problem with a laptop (WLAN), but my "self forged" PC (also WLAN) gives me problems no matter what I try to do. I went to the routers page with the laptop and made my PC kinda exception (called DMZ-something) not recommended, but is meant as a last option if internet access can't be made otherwise. And what helps if the last option doesn't help? Lol.

The ipconfig/all's of both. Left command prompt is the new router that doesn't work for me, right prompt is the old/current working modem.

Posted Image

Of course, pinging the router failed. But the routers SSID can be seen and activated as an internet connection option, the password is accepted, the Network and Sharing Center shows a live connection between the PC and the network, but no internet connection from the network to the internet.

No idea honestly. The internet is flooded with people asking why their computer has no internet access, the problem is always the same, solutions always individual. Little help that way, but maybe you have some suggestions?
Posted Image

#126 Tactical Jerky

Tactical Jerky

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,289 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:24 PM

No network expert. But one thing I notice under "Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection" is that on the left it says: "192.168.0.1", while on the right it says: "192.168.1.1". You're aware of that?

#127 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

View PostTactical Jerky, on 14 December 2010 - 05:24 PM, said:

No network expert. But one thing I notice under "Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection" is that on the left it says: "192.168.0.1", while on the right it says: "192.168.1.1". You're aware of that?
192.168.1.1 is the IP of the WLAN modem I use now (left prompt), 192.168.0.1 is the IP of the new router (right prompt).
Posted Image

#128 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

192.168.0.1 means there is NO ISP or local Network. Its a ping back address only to the physical hardware.

You should have an IP along something LIKE: 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.100.1 or other..there are laots of variables dependant on the Router used. looking at the right image You should have an IP like 192.168.1.50.

Possible reasons:
1> Power everything down, PC, Router & Modem then repower up in sequence waiting till is FULLY powered Modem, then Router then PC.
...this will ensure that any DHCP & IP assignments in place are cascaded. Do a cmd/ipconfig/all again & check the IP addresses

2> Connect the Modem directly to the PC power down then reboot in sequence. If you now have an IP without the router inplace the problem lies with the router
Regards
Nemesis

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

#129 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

192.168.0.1 is the IP of the new router (left), as I type it in the browser and can change the router settings with the laptop.
The old modem had the IP 192.168.1.1 (right), same deal, I type it into the browser and can access the modem settings.

The router (left) recognizes the IP's of the PC (192.168.1.101, that IP can be seen at the left at IPv4 Adress) and the laptop (192.168.1.100). When I access the routers settings page with the laptop I can see the IP's and computer names of both computers, the PC and laptop.
The old modem recognized (and still does) the PC under the IP 192.168.1.50 (which also can be seen at IPv4 Address at the right propmt).

I don't understand what's wrong with the IP's there. The router/modem hardware configuration seems fine, because my laptop works fine with it (and the guy who installed it tested it with his laptop too, both LAN and WLAN).

I will try to reset the hardware and try again.
Posted Image

#130 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

http://compnetworkin...168_0_1_def.htm

...apologies I stand corrected but its also the DEFAULT Windows IP. Try it disconnect all ables from the PC & Reboot then check Ipconfig...the IP will be 192.168.0.1 ....its the ping back address.

Bloody stupid idea for router manufactureres to use the same IP ?!?!?!
Regards
Nemesis

#131 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:19 AM

View PostNemesis, on 15 December 2010 - 12:19 PM, said:

Possible reasons:
1> Power everything down, PC, Router & Modem then repower up in sequence waiting till is FULLY powered Modem, then Router then PC.
...this will ensure that any DHCP & IP assignments in place are cascaded. Do a cmd/ipconfig/all again & check the IP addresses
I did that and same result. ipconfig/all has the same values as before.

I didn't try the LAN cable, because the PC is in another room, but I guess I have no other option as to drag there and set it up near the router.
If the modem/router were the problem, wouldn't the other two laptops have shown misbehaviour? I'm sure the problem lies within my pathetic attempt of a PC self build.  <_<
Posted Image

#132 Tactical Jerky

Tactical Jerky

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,289 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:34 PM

Psycho if you go to your modem's settings page and look between the Wi-Fi settings is there an option that allows you to change the channel number? If so try a different channel and see if that makes a difference.

Maybe you could post a screenshot of both your Windows and modem's Wi-Fi settings so we could compare the two.

#133 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

Is anything working on the new router?! If yes ie: laptop then look at the AVANCED configuration for the wireless cards on bot the PC vs laptop.
Regards
Nemesis

#134 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

I can't see where the problem lies. I put the PC to the same room as the modem/router, and internet works perfectly, I put it back to the other room and no internet connection (also can't access router). The laptop has normal connection from any room.

With the previous provider's modem I have connection with any PC/laptop in any room.

It doesn't make sense. The new modem is in a different spot than the previous modem, so maybe this slight difference is what causes the disturbance? Even if I put the laptop right near the PC WLAN antenna, I still have a normal connection with it.

I also noticed, that with my old (now dead) laptop I could play Infiltration over WLAN without lag (and it had an old 56Mbps card), with my new PC and the 300Mbps card I have more lag and when sprinting often warp back the the position I started sprinting from (stamina gone though). So, perhaps the problem is indeed with my Linksys WLAN card? It works with my old modem, but not that great and doesn't work with the new modem configuration.

Updating drivers is difficult with Linksys, the main page doesnt have anything useful, I found some drivers that I had to manually install from the device manager (no auto installer) and with these drivers the card didn't even work, it only works with the drivers I have on the CD.
Posted Image

#135 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:10 PM

... is the wireless manual no help ?
Regards
Nemesis

#136 Buehgler_AS

Buehgler_AS

Moving Target

• Donator
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:19 PM

View PostPsychomorph, on 21 December 2010 - 12:51 PM, said:

I can't see where the problem lies. I put the PC to the same room as the modem/router, and internet works perfectly, I put it back to the other room and no internet connection (also can't access router). The laptop has normal connection from any room.
Do I understand this correctly.  Physically moving the computer nearer to the router/modem solves your problem?
If that is the case, then the most likely problem is that you are not getting a good wireless signal in the room where you have the PC.  Changing the location of the router's antennae (and certainly changing the device) can cause drastic differences in the quality of the wireless radio signal you receive in different rooms.  Depending on how close you are to your neighbors, you may also be suffering from interference issues.  

With the previous provider's modem I have connection with any PC/laptop in any room.

It doesn't make sense. The new modem is in a different spot than the previous modem, so maybe this slight difference is what causes the disturbance? Even if I put the laptop right near the PC WLAN antenna, I still have a normal connection with it.
The implication here is that the old modem included a  "better" radio.  The laptop and your WLAN card/radio/antennae are probably more different than you imagine.  The laptop may just have a better receiver and antennae setup and be better able to deal with the reduced signal quality.

I also noticed, that with my old (now dead) laptop I could play Infiltration over WLAN without lag (and it had an old 56Mbps card), with my new PC and the 300Mbps card I have more lag and when sprinting often warp back the the position I started sprinting from (stamina gone though). So, perhaps the problem is indeed with my Linksys WLAN card? It works with my old modem, but not that great and doesn't work with the new modem configuration.

Updating drivers is difficult with Linksys, the main page doesnt have anything useful, I found some drivers that I had to manually install from the device manager (no auto installer) and with these drivers the card didn't even work, it only works with the drivers I have on the CD.
Ok, so I am guessing you went from 802.11g (which is really only  ~22Mbps) to some form of 802.11n radio.  Running at the higher rates of 802.11n when you do not have line-of-sight between radios can get very tricky very quickly. This will be especially true if your PC only has one "simple" antennae -- FWIW, your laptop almost certainly has at least 2 antennas in it.  It may well be the case that the PC and modem are constantly negotiating how to establish a high-speed connection and failing, but not falling back to a lower speed connection due to some incompatibility between them -- all of this 802.11n stuff is a bit of a hack.

My suggestion is that if possible you should use the driver/interface software on your PC to force the connection down to being 802.11g or even 802.11b to make sure things are basically working.  You should pay attention to whatever signal strength indicator you have and move your antennas around to maximize performance.  Then you can try turning on the 802.11n stuff at the PC end and see if things work.  If not, you may just be out of luck and not be able to get those "advertised" speeds in your space.

Good luck, I hope this helps.
Posted Image

#137 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

It came to my mind that I have an USB WLAN lying around somewhere, so I tried it. It has a connection with the new modem, but compared to the old modem the connection is quite bad (the Linksys card has a much better connection to the old modem compared to the USB thing, but no connection to the new modem).

So I guess it has to do with the location and that the Linksys reacts individually to it. The new provider uses the cable network for their stuff, not the telephone network as the previous and originally the new modem had to be at a better place, but the tech man said there was no signal, so he had to install it at a different place (directly at the cable amplifier, no idea how it's called) and I guess that's the problem. 14 days after installation aren't over, I think I'll step back from the deal. :hmm:

I also thought about using a WLAN antenna with a cable, so I can move it further toward the modem. Will it improve the connection, or are such antennas rather useless?
Also, I have two antennas on the Linksys, is it better to have one double-antenna with a split cable, or right away two separated antennas, which I can position individually?
Posted Image

#138 Buehgler_AS

Buehgler_AS

Moving Target

• Donator
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

There is no simple answer for the antennae questions.  It depends on LOTS and LOTS of factors.  The only workable suggestion is to try a few different things and see what works better/best for your particular situation. Of course, your neighbors may change their wireless setup or get a new refrigerator and mess things up :)

It is good that at least you now know where/what the problem is.  Based on your experiment with the USB wireless adapter, it certainly looks like you are getting less signal to your PC location with this new router/modem than you had with the previous device.  Using an antenna that has a cable may help (or it may not help much at all).  In general getting the antenna up off of the floor and away from walls should improve the signal strength, but again this depends on a lot of factors that are hard to guess.
Posted Image

#139 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

Yeah, I thought about using a long cable to get the antenna closer to the stuff, but now I decided I keep my current provider (for now) and the situation changes. I checked the speed and get 10Mbps download speed out of the maximum 16Mbps, I think that's quite not bad, is it? The new provider had 32Mbps for less money! But the location of the hardware killed it. :(

As for the antenna, you say it better has a higher position - now the modem is in the room below, approx 15 feet away (so it goes diagonally down). With an antenna I could reduce the distance to 10 feet, wouldn't be better to place the antenna right on the floor? Since it would be nearer it would make the angle less flat that way the ground as obstacle less thick.
I'll get me one cable and experiment, if it shows effect, I get me a second.

By the way, thanks to you guys again for trying to help.
Posted Image

#140 Buehgler_AS

Buehgler_AS

Moving Target

• Donator
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:27 AM

15 ft is quite close (even through a floor/wall to have as much trouble and the low bandwidth you have described.  I would be surprised that being a few feet closer would make a big difference, but the only way you will know is to try it.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users