Started by Psychomorph, Sep 22 2010 04:23 PM

#141 galzohar

galzohar

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

These kinds of threads remind me how good it was that I set up my network before wireless was common, so now I have wires stuck in all PCs in my house rather than having to deal with wireless network issues.... You may want to just consider that solution, it's a long-lasting one (I think mine is up for almost 10 years) ;)
You don't mess with the Zohar!
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/galzohar
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/galzohar
ArmA Israel: http://www.arma-il.info

#142 Buehgler_AS

Buehgler_AS

Moving Target

• Donator
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:46 AM

Good point Galzohar.  I spent my share of sweating, cursing, fussing to get wires pulled in our house, but once they are in there are no problems with them.  Is drilling a few nice neat holes really out of the question to go the 15 feet to get from your PC to the cable-modem?
Posted Image

#143 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

Beware: 802.11n isnt 300kbps bi-directional anyway in many cases. Buehgler makes a good point about dropping to 802.11g :thumbsup:

Elements that can be blocking signal strength are ...ceramic tiled walls, mirrors, concrete, microwave (not just the cooking type) & other radio devices. For example the central heating controller in our home interferes with my wireless mouse sometimes knocking the connection clean out despite moving the channels, so as previously mentioned theres lots that can cause impact.

15ft isnt far...you should still be getting a decent signal at 30+ft. Check the router & wless card manual for references.

I work cabled to the router but have 6 wireless devices in my home...all works ok...but Im not gaming where a lot of datapackets at large sizes are constantly being swapped. Test the router cabled as mentioned.....if theres stil poor performance...contact your ISP.
Regards
Nemesis

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

#144 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:59 PM

Even if you can't permanently run a Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable through the walls, you can always do like I did in my apartment. I ran Cat 5 cable along the ceiling into my bedroom so I can hook my laptop up to the network.They do make a special staple gun that uses round staples just for that purpose though you could use the nailed variety of cable clips and it would work just fine. I don't have to worry about the door as I never close it, but you can run it down the side of the door trim and under the door so it does not get pinched.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Supporter  GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

#145 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:35 AM

I got a different modem from the provider and it happened at the same time I changed the laminate floor in the room with the computer (higher quality isolation under the laminate). Now the WLAN connection is not as good as it was before and I don't know whether it is the new modem or the laminate isolation, maybe both. I had to put the PC much further into the room to get a connection at all, so I need an antenna with a cable (LAN wire to that room is not an option yet, I think about it, but for now a WLAN antenna with a cable should do it).
I have the option of a 5dBi and an 8dBi antenna. Is 8dBi so much better? Because I have two antenna ports on my card, I could have 2x 5dBi for the same price as the one 8dBi, but if 8dBi is so much better I could go for 2x 8dBi.

And to my never ending story (RAM issue): I tested both ram sticks separately, the first showed no problems for 3 weeks of use, the second gave me instant blue screens and application errors. I run that test two times though, second time the first stick showed no problems once again, the second one worked relatively ok this time, but I noticed application errors and other problems (sometimes PC couldn't boot from the first time) and later had blue screens a couple of times. I tried them both again and had issues. Now I run the first ram stick again and as always no problems (at all).
Am I save to say that the first ram is good and the second one is bad? How must I approach the manufacturer now to get a replacement?

I'd appreciate your wisdom this time again. :D
Posted Image

#146 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

Ref Ram.... explain everything as tested to the RAM supplier & see if its still under any warranty if so they should exchange it.....but I obviously cant vouch for them....just tell em..its been a cause of faults since day 1 & its taken this long to find that cause.
Regards
Nemesis

#147 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

Will do.

Regarding the antenna. Guys, does a 8dBi antenna does really much than a 5dBi? Would you suggest to use the 8dBi?
As I explained I have two antenna ports on my WLAN card, I plan to use two antennas, so I can place them at different spots to have more coverage. Would that make sense? As I know laptops have an antenna wire around the display and I had quite a good WLAN connection with my old laptop.
Posted Image

#148 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:26 AM

I called the supplier and he says for the RAM sticks to be send in for replacement, both. That will make my PC unusable for more than 1 week. So I thought to get me a 2GB stick before I send the other RAM away. My question is; will in the future the 6GB be used by win7 64bit (home premium)? Or can it only be 4GB, 8GB? I know it requires a pair of RAM for dual-channeling, but if I use 3 RAM sticks, will the pair still be dual-channel and the single additional power, or will that switch off the dual-channel thing (which would be bad I guess)?

Edit: Or would it be better to get 2x1GB so these, alongside with the 2x2GB, would give me 6GB dual-channel?
From what I know for optimal dual-channeling you need a pair of equal RAM (same model), but that doesn't apply for a second pair, doesn't it?
Posted Image

#149 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:30 AM

If you have 3 (or 6 slots), it will run triple channel if your mobo is set up to use it (mine is).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Supporter  GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

#150 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:54 AM

From what I know the i5 (I have a i5-760) does support only dual-channeling. i7 can do tripple-channeling. :(
Posted Image

#151 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:42 AM

Ok, I think my plan wont work, because the additional 2x1GB needs to have the same specs as my main 2x2GB set of 1333Mhz and CL7 (or else the performance of the better memory will be diminished), which also would cost to much for the extra 2GB of RAM which I think wouldn't add that much, wouldn't it?

I guess I just get me a 1GB for 12,-€ just to keep the PC bootable for the time being untill I get my current RAM exchanged. I keep that RAM then as backup, for the case I'll have further problems with the main memory.

Edit:
So as I read having two pairs of RAM where one pair  is slower, will make the system use the slower configuration even with the faster pair, right?

So my current memory set is 2x2GB 1333Mhz CL7. If I get me additional 2x1GB 1333Mhz CL9, the actual working configuration will be effectively at 6GB 1333Mhz CL9? In case I'm right, would that be better than just 4GB 1333Mhz CL7?

Or am I understanding and talking humbug?
Posted Image

#152 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

View PostPsychomorph, on 26 April 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

Or am I understanding and talking humbug?
6gb....lowest speed / spec!
Regards
Nemesis

#153 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

View PostNemesis, on 26 April 2011 - 01:31 PM, said:

6gb....lowest speed / spec!
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean that the 6GB configuration, the way I explained it, would be of lowest speed compared to the 4GB variant?
Posted Image

#154 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

....it will be neglible in difference CL7 vs CL9 both operate at 1.333Ghz so which either runs slower due to the memory cycle speeds..CL7 or CL9 ...will be the slowest spec at which the memory will operate if it accepts them all in the system./
Regards
Nemesis

#155 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:47 PM

So, you'd say 6GB CL9 is better than 4GB CL7, since CL9 vs CL7 is of negligible difference?
Posted Image

#156 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:12 AM

Got the antenna today. I get better speed now (about 9 Mbps, before I had about 5 Mbps), but if I stick it out of the window connection goes up to more than 11 Mbps (16 would be maximum). Damn, I guess I need an outdoor antenna, it really must be the new laminate isolation blocking alot of the signal. :(

Edit: Ok, indoor it varies between 9 and 11 Mbps. Better than nothing.
Posted Image

#157 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:08 AM

View PostPsychomorph, on 26 April 2011 - 06:47 PM, said:

So, you'd say 6GB CL9 is better than 4GB CL7, since CL9 vs CL7 is of negligible difference?
yes...if you need to use the add 2gb..else stay with 4 cl7
Regards
Nemesis

#158 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

Thanks. There is another option; 4GB 1333Mhz CL7 vs 6GB 1066Mhz CL7. I hear people saying if the 6GB are needed (whatever it means) than more of slower RAM is better than less of faster, but if not than you're rather at disadvantage. I wonder if I'd need more of RAM (right now it is said that 4GB DDR3 is more than enough, for gaming and such that is). I just wonder if I wouldn't put myself into disadvantage with the 6GB 1066Mhz vs 4GB 1333Mhz at the very far end.

:wacko:  :D

It's not easy I guess, but thanks for your input. Maybe it really is better to just get me that cheap 1GB for the time being until I get back my 4GB memory from the supplier. :dntknw:

Edit:
The 2x1GB in question is this.
Posted Image

#159 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:14 AM

the key thing to remember is this: "YOUR PC WILL OLY BE AS FAST AS THE SLOWEST ITEM IN IT".... keep that in mind then weigh up what you need to do for want you want to do!
Regards
Nemesis

#160 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

View PostNemesis, on 27 April 2011 - 11:14 AM, said:

the key thing to remember is this: "YOUR PC WILL OLY BE AS FAST AS THE SLOWEST ITEM IN IT".... keep that in mind then weigh up what you need to do for want you want to do!
That's the reason I'm asking, because I don't know if 4GB 1333Mhz or 6GB 1066Mhz is better. :D
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users