Started by Psychomorph, Sep 22 2010 04:23 PM

#161 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,800 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:57 AM

xxx Mhz = speed of signal passed through the memory bus (high = faster)
Regards
Nemesis

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

#162 galzohar

galzohar

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

You will very likely almost never use up more than 4GB as far as I know. At least for current-day gaming and normal windows stuff. Unless you set up a ramdisk for Arma or something.

Edited by galzohar, 29 April 2011 - 10:04 AM.

You don't mess with the Zohar!
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/galzohar
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/galzohar
ArmA Israel: http://www.arma-il.info

#163 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:26 PM

View Postgalzohar, on 29 April 2011 - 10:04 AM, said:

You will very likely almost never use up more than 4GB as far as I know. At least for current-day gaming and normal windows stuff. Unless you set up a ramdisk for Arma or something.
What is a ramdisk for ArmA?

Since one RAM stick is corrupt I use only 2GB and played Crysis 2 on highest settings and it run perfect. I guess todays PC games are limited by the console market, that's why. The only problem is if I run a game, minimize it, launch a couple of other progs and try to navigate through explorer fast, the machine becomes slower, with 4GB it did't happen. Anyway, I just ordered the cheapest 1GB RAM as replacement for the time before I get a fresh pair of memory, which hopefully will not be corrupt.
Posted Image

#164 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

The reason when using 2gb the system slows down when do XYZ is that "VIRTUAL memory" is created by utilising HD space as a cache. This way windows still operates but passes stored data to a cache that can then be recalled back to physically memory. The process of creating & reading the VRam from the HD is the slow down in performance. When you have 4 GB or more no VRam is used as there is enough physical memory to manage the XYZ tasks hence no performance hit.
ASs for running Crysis 2...look at its RAM specs...it probably only needs 1 -2 GB to run anyway :)
Regards
Nemesis

#165 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:21 AM

Guys, I need your advice again :D

Without much background info, just the facts.

Version 1
A 3 meter WLAN antenna cable with a WLAN antenna attached to the PC. The distance from the antenna to the modem is exactly 3,5 meters (perfectly horizontal, no obstacles).

Version 2
Ethernet cable (I guess length doesn't matter much there) with an access point (802.11n/WPA2) attached to the PC. The distance from the access point to the modem is exactly 3,5 meters (perfectly horizontal, no obstacles).

Visualisation
PC________3m_cable_________Antenna . . . . . . . . 3,5m air . . . . . . . . .WLAN Modem

3 meters = ~ 10 feet

I know the access point is probably better, but considering the cable length and the distance to the router from the antenna (100% horizontal) would "version 1" be so much worse than the "version 2" solution? I know access point is good for very problematic situations, but in my case the only problem seems to be the 3 meters cable.

Well, I could just use a 7 meters LAN cable, but the problem is that the cable would lie around in the open (no way to hide it) and that's probably not an option.
Posted Image

#166 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

Buy a long enough Cat. 5/6 cable and tuck it between the carpeting and the wall. There is a space big enough to tuck it into between the tack strip that holds the carpet down and in place to the wall. I actually have cables strung in oddball places due to living in an apartment and not able to run wire through walls or under the floor.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Supporter  GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

#167 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:50 AM

These 3,5 meters are a tricky spot, there is not just wall but plastic frame from the window that goes all the way down to the floor. And in the middle of that frame (between the two windows) there is a sort of a ridge and I don't think I could wrap the cat cable so tightly around that without damaging. Only option would be to screw a hole through that plastic ridge, but I'm not sure I want to do that. Also the floor molding is a very slim plastic rail, no way to hide a cable inside (like normal floor/wall molding). It's such an open part (large windows) that anything that isn't well concealed might get in the way when stepping outside (it's ground floor) and would look sh*tty. Meh.

I try to figure something out, but an extension cable for the WLAN antenna would be the easiest and cheapest way. I have a powerful antenna and I know that WLAN in the same room over such a short distance without obstacles brings good results, only the extension cable is what I'm unsure about.

Hmm, if I wont figure out how to install the cat cable, I probably try the wlan option and see if it performs enough. By the way, what is the difference between cat 5 and cat 6? Also, the DSL cable from the modem (that goes to the splitter) looks like a cat cable but the wire is very much thinner than the usual cat cables. On Amazon all cats look regular thick, if I could have a thin wired cat, I might be able to work something out, maybe.

Edit:
Hmm, something like this could work. Is it advisable?

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#168 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

Cat5e is stable upto lengths of 100metres approx 330feet  from memory, beyond that I think there is some loss but thats all from memory back some years!
Regards
Nemesis

#169 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

I only require 10 metres at most, so I think it will do it. I guess I scrap WLAN and do the cat cable. Thanks for your input again guys.
Posted Image

#170 Whisper_44

Whisper_44

Master Blaster

• 2,607 posts
  • Platform:Console gamer

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

Am unsure about UK pricing, but I bought 200ft (2@100ft) of Cat6, delivered for $12 from eBay, deals to be had there for sure..

#171 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:21 PM

I think I pay a bit more for CAT6. It's not about speed, but I hear CAT6 UTP is a bit better protected compared to CAT5e UTP, is that reason enough? I mean it is UTP, which is bad enough already, isn't a slightly better protected one the better choice?
Posted Image

#172 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:03 PM

Ok the supplier will give me money back for the faulty RAM, so I can pick a new one. What you guys think is a good choice? I guess it should be at least DDR3-1333 CL7.

Since I get back around 70 € / 100 $, I think I can dare to go for 2 x 4GB. That would be defenitely better for gaming than 2 x 2GB, no?

I read that i5 doesn't support 1600Mhz and will run it in at most 1333Mhz anyway, is that true?
Posted Image

#173 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

I suggest re-reading back through this thread for memory feedback as already discussed.
As for i5....no comment...dont know TBH...sorry. "Google" ?
Regards
Nemesis

#174 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

Yes it was discussed, but since it is a half year later I thought maybe something new is up, but I guess it's the same situation really.

Someone I know can give me the following kit: G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBECO, so it's 2 x 2GB, 1600Mhz, CL9 and 1,35Volt. The low volt speaks for it.

I wanted to go for 8GB, but since I can get the above named kit virtually for free, I guess 4GB is not to bad still.
Only few things confuse me. I hear on sites that this kit (1600Mhz) is for P55 and i5, while at the same time I read that p55 or i5 can only have the stock speed of 1333Mhz. Some people review though that they use it with their i5 and their system shows that it runs with 1600Mhz for them (they didn't mention over clocking, they just put it in and say its 1600Mhz). What's the real deal? I hear also, that if it is a 1600 RAM and only runs as 1333, than you can afford to tweak it in other areas (as like in return), such as clock speed and voltage.

Edit:
Can't resist 8GB. Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz CL8 1.5V seems good, can't resist the thought. 4GB might be all you need right now, but I'm sure soon games will demand a little bit more. Plus better multitasking while at that.
Posted Image

#175 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

I decided to go for the "G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage", 2 x 4GB, 1600Mhz, CL9, 1.25V.

http://www.gskill.co...s.php?index=390

newegg

The ultra low voltage allows to lower clock or raise Mhz and it is made for my motherboard.
Posted Image

#176 bangurdead

bangurdead

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,175 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

I've never been steered wrong with G.Skill ram bought a total of
2x2GB DDR2
6x2GB DDR3

Their quality assurance testing I'd say is one of the best out of many RAM manufacturers.

#177 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:04 AM

Good, that gives me hope that it will just work without problems. Can't accept another RMA/refunding that will take months again.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users