Started by budgie, Feb 26 2007 08:35 AM

#381 Korobushka

Korobushka

Ranger School Dropout

• Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

Those pesky captcha images i'll bet, took me about 10 times to get it right too! :P
Posted Image

#382 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

I remember an interesting system that used a 5x5 grid or was it 4x4? I think it was then at random generated a pattern that you had to press the correct grid spaces and match the pattern before it lets you finish the registration process. Thought that was pretty cool, but have not seen a lot of sites that use it.

"I do nothing different than does anybody when they go work for IBM or any other corporation in the world. Is that corporation doing a service or disservice to society? And if you believe they are doing a disservice and you still work for them what does that make you?" - Slavko Ilic

"You will take over a small central African country, and make five hundred dollars." - soldier of fortune cookies

#383 Glennyboy1

Glennyboy1

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

View PostJsonedecker, on 10 April 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

We only let the dedicated and smart ones in!  :notworthy:

Seriously, sorry it was a problem. What part gave you trouble?

Hehe it's good to know I've finally made 'selection'  :thumbsup:

As Korobushka pointed out in his post  it seemed to be the Captcha part that was causing joining problems John.

#384 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostGlennyboy1, on 10 April 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

Hehe it's good to know I've finally made 'selection'  :thumbsup:

As Korobushka pointed out in his post  it seemed to be the Captcha part that was causing joining problems John.
I will not comment on what John may or not say, but spam bots had plagued the site in the past and on a daily basis it seemed. Adding the Captcha requirement appears to have done the trick. If it causes real humans to have problems, that means the spam bots will not be able to get past it. Maybe a tweak or two is needed for the system? I don't know, but being able to get it right eventually means that those that get it definitely deserved to be here.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Supporter  GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

#385 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

WK this month alone so far off the top of my head 2 spam bots made it in, this is going off the spam posts that were made. Who knows how many dormant ones are still in the bunch.

"I do nothing different than does anybody when they go work for IBM or any other corporation in the world. Is that corporation doing a service or disservice to society? And if you believe they are doing a disservice and you still work for them what does that make you?" - Slavko Ilic

"You will take over a small central African country, and make five hundred dollars." - soldier of fortune cookies

#386 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,408 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

Yeah, we get hit pretty hard by the spam bots for some reason. We'll look into the Captcha situation though.  :thumbsup:

#387 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

View PostWitzbold, on 10 April 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

WK this month alone so far off the top of my head 2 spam bots made it in, this is going off the spam posts that were made. Who knows how many dormant ones are still in the bunch.
I must have missed them.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#388 Comunitext

Comunitext

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

Back in my ghost recon 1.0.0.2 days was formally known as dAk.Rampage (name got so common had to ditch it)
So many good clan battles back in the days with (UCK, AMS, oGR, HMA) 0:)

Once the version died, it was hard for me to move on to another game. Since the game really changed its direction in gameplay in version 1.4
With no longer people playing with threat indicator, instant rocket shots, and grenades you could throw 100 feet this game lost a lot of what made it amazing.

Moved onto raven shield and loved the atmosphere, gameplay, mods, and skill based mechanics!!  B)

#389 RileyFletcher_01

RileyFletcher_01

Ranger School Dropout

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Hey,

I'm Riley Fletcher, and I've been a member of Ghostrecon.net for a long time now. I've played the Ghost Recon series for over half a decade, and after tiring of the newer GRAW titles and pathetic and unrealistic noob-supporting Call of Duty and Battlefield series, I went back to Ghost Recon 1 and haven't played any other FPS games for almost a year. I've been making mods for GR, and I've released a realism enhancer for the already realistic game, a full campaign, and I am currently working on a full expansion pack complete with new weapons, missions, maps, story, and skins.

I had almost given up hope for the fate of FPS, when I saw a post on Ground Branch today. After reading about it, I became very excited, especially when I noticed the great news at the bottom of the Features page -- full modding support. I hope that modding will be fairly easy to get accustomed to as my beloved Ghost Recon was, not something like the Crye SDK.

To end this post, I'd like to say that Ground Branch looks very promising, and I am sure it will live up to my expectations.

#390 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#391 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 9,026 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

tell the truth, your following my LOLCAT post :hi:
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image
http://twitter.com/Acesian_Dehlyte

#392 RileyFletcher_01

RileyFletcher_01

Ranger School Dropout

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hey Corporal, good to see some familiar faces around here.

#393 Kirq

Kirq

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:47 AM

Welcome aboard! Posted Image
Posted Image

#394 zoog

zoog

Master Blaster

• Contributor
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

View PostKorobushka, on 10 April 2012 - 05:35 AM, said:

Those pesky captcha images i'll bet, took me about 10 times to get it right too! Posted Image
On the Tangodown forum we have a few anti spam measures, and when combined they work 99% of the time:

- At registration there is an invisible text field that humans won't see but bots will. If there is any text in the field the registration will be denied.
- Security question of course (how many letters has word blabla, what number has the month august etc).
- Registrations are checked with the stopforumspam.com database. If the IP is on their list the registration will be automatically denied.
- Standard CAPTCHA (not very hard to read so not a big hassle)

The combination of these measures works likes a charm with minimum hassle for new users IMO. But yeah, you just have to find the right balance. But personally I don't really like those very distorted captcha images and try to avoid them when possible.
Posted Image

#395 BTH

BTH

Misfire

• PipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:19 AM

Born 1987 in the island of Mallorca, Spain.

Into pc gaming since I was 8 and started playing around with 3d applications since I was 12.

I will play most fps in single player mode, but I prefer tactical shooters. I still play Ghost Recon and Raven Shield offline simply because there is no game like them any more. The only game I have played online is Infiltration, which I still play whenever there are players in a server.

Currently in the Spanish armed forces, I have served in a Special Operations unit for over 4 years, and then in a Regular Infantry unit for 1 year. Deployed in Afghanistan in 2009 where a couple of shots were exchanged Posted Image

I have been following Ground Branch since it was first announced and joined the forums in 2008. Since then I have had a project in mind: A campaign with all custom maps using mostly custom content. After years I haven't completed a full map, guess I was aiming too high. I'm still working on it with a plan B in mind: If I can't finish the project, at least I will publish the spare maps I complete and share something for the GB community.

So if you thought I was all new to the Ground Branch community, you were wrong and you were allready my little cyber friends even though you didn't know yet Posted Image

#396 Kirq

Kirq

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:15 AM

Welcome aboard, looks like You are in the right place my Friend :cheers:
Posted Image

#397 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 9,026 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

:cheers:
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image

#398 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Welcome! And looking forward to seeing your map as it progresses!

#399 Konjureman

Konjureman

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hi everyone! I've gone by many gamer tags and for a handful of years my longest one has been OmnisouL (PC) deadsol(PS3), and now Konjureman(PC). I'm 25. I'm from PA, USA.

I've played Rogue Spear and the expansion packs for many years. I started back in 1999 and played up until they shut down MSN The Zone. Some of my gamertags from back then were Kamikazi_ECO, RSPG_deadsolja, Ven0m0uS, and a handful more. They were some fantastic times.

My name is Warren, you may call me by my real name or my gamer tag, whichever you prefer.

I'm glad to be apart of this community and I hope we can get this ship at full speed.

#400 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 9,026 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

Welcome aboard Warren.  BTW, where/who did you hear the KS from?  We're trying to find to send the Tweets to.
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users