#21 bangurdead

bangurdead

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,158 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

View Postjwp1223, on 07 February 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

Why is that a shame Fixxxer? Just curious.

usually F2P quickly degrades into what can they shut off from the game to make people want to pay...

-Extremely long "Leveling" times to be even able to use certain items to help sell XP boosters (XP and Money are basically two sides of the same coin)
-Time limited items that disintegrate within days or hours
-Items that can only be realistically obtained via cash for any decent amount of time
-instead of a payment ceiling (say 50.00 retail on a boxed game) you can easily spend 100+ or more for items and not have the stuff a week from tomorrow or even half the "game"

#22 jwp1223

jwp1223

MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!!

• Donator
  • 1,719 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:43 AM

View Postbangurdead, on 07 February 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

usually F2P quickly degrades into what can they shut off from the game to make people want to pay...

-Extremely long "Leveling" times to be even able to use certain items to help sell XP boosters (XP and Money are basically two sides of the same coin)
-Items that can only be realistically obtained via cash for any decent amount of time
-instead of a payment ceiling (say 50.00 retail on a boxed game) you can easily spend 100+ or more for items and not have the stuff a week from tomorrow or even half the "game"

Understandable...thanks for breaking it down for me like that :).
Ground Branch...Sweet Baby Jesus it's good
We came for the game, we stayed for the community.
It's hotter than two rats screwin in a wool sock out there.

View PostWhiteKnight77, on 16 June 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

When the trolling memes start appearing, you know you have stepped over the line and lost all credibility.

#23 Fixxxer

Fixxxer

Misfire

• PipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

What dead said.

So far a few games I've been waiting patiently for for the last little while have gone F2P and I've lost pretty much all interest in them now. Sadly, this game being one of them.
Posted Image

#24 bangurdead

bangurdead

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

I'm right there with you Fixxer

the only games I've kept intrest with after they've announced F2P have been
MechWarrior Online (hopefully this one wont be a bust)
Hawken

just due to the fact there's no other mech games coming out.

Games that fell off the face of the earth
APB Reloaded (owned APB) after I seen how "balanced" it was If you pay you "win" in that game
Blacklight Retribution (got into beta) found out how they're going to monetize every single thing...
and others that I immediately just put a mental block up on.

seriously F2P is one of the worst payment methods for gamers unless you get extremely lucky with a game like League of Legends and that business model is the rarest one among F2P once you own a character its yours and that is something these other developers look at and say hey why not make them pay over and over for the same stuff!!!

#25 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 8,694 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

View Postbangurdead, on 07 February 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

Thats very informative

As an Indie, they should be able to reap benefits in this business model where not everyone can afford a $60 game...at first release.
Taken that it does turn off certain players  <_<
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image
http://twitter.com/Acesian_Dehlyte

#26 Fixxxer

Fixxxer

Misfire

• PipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

Don't get me wrong; you can still have a great time in F2P games. But they definitely go far out of their way to make it inconvenient to play.

Take Vindictus, for example. It's a great RPG for it's combat mechanics, but like any other RPG they make items drops a big part of the game. How do you make money off something so simple? Give everyone a terribly small amount of inventory space and allow them to purchase more space. You can either lease the space for X amount of money or pay a one large lump sum to keep it.

So you either leave a ton of useful and valuable items behind or you spend money to carry it with you.
Posted Image

#27 MONOLITH

MONOLITH

BFS SECURITY

• 7,028 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

I never knew free to play games were so not free to play.
Posted Image

#28 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 8,694 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

View PostMONOLITH, on 10 February 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

I never knew free to play games were so not free to play.
I think this is why it's so big in Asia when I traveled to Philippines and Thailand.  Cyber cafe's were packed with all these games, besides WOW.  I'm looking at 20+ PCs all ppl gaming....I thinking the owner of this cafe, paid for all this hardware and games?

What they do is charge for the time of use of hardware, not the game itself.  its up to the customers to pay for an account on a particular game.  therefore, they can hop on any cyber cafe and continue with their gaming.

I was proposed on doing something like this, until I read about a students getting addicted to this.  family was going to build a dorm with a cyber cafe (10 pcs for school purposes, i.e. netbooks--- remember when they were  $125 a piece)  

sorry to hear that there are no other genre coming out bangurdead.
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image
http://twitter.com/Acesian_Dehlyte

#29 Fixxxer

Fixxxer

Misfire

• PipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

http://kotaku.com/58...n-looks-awesome

http://venturebeat.c...game-exclusive/
Posted Image

#30 BOTA:49

BOTA:49

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

I just read that, it's incredible! $10 million to an indie dev team....holy crap....

Team BOTA

♥-Colin

View PostSwedish_Seb, on 01 March 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

And as usual, their opinions are as valid as their grammar.

#31 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

With the quality they showed off I say its much deserved for that talented bunch of folks.

"I do nothing different than does anybody when they go work for IBM or any other corporation in the world. Is that corporation doing a service or disservice to society? And if you believe they are doing a disservice and you still work for them what does that make you?" - Slavko Ilic

"You will take over a small central African country, and make five hundred dollars." - soldier of fortune cookies

#32 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

....the new money is mostly going to Adhesive's parent company and publisher Meteor Entertainment,

....say no more.
Regards
Nemesis

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

#33 spm1138

spm1138

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Bumping this.

Anyone else been beta testing this?

It's interesting.

It's rather fast paced. Most PC mech games have been slow paced battletech kinda games but this isn't. It's more along the lines of console mech games. Very anime.

Love the art direction.

It's got some balance problems and unsure about their F2P implementation.

It's notably slow to level stuff up and get "space dollars" for upgrades.

Could be good.

#34 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

Its a damned shame that its a f2p platform as Im not really into supporting that type of business model. Retail yes, F2P no. Which I hate to see since these devs I did want to support if they had gone the retail route.

"I do nothing different than does anybody when they go work for IBM or any other corporation in the world. Is that corporation doing a service or disservice to society? And if you believe they are doing a disservice and you still work for them what does that make you?" - Slavko Ilic

"You will take over a small central African country, and make five hundred dollars." - soldier of fortune cookies

#35 BOTA:49

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

I wasn't either, at first, but with how good Tribes and MechWarrior Online are turning out, I don't mind the F2P model so much.  It just took some games that I haven't played in ages to be released again for me to appreciate it.

Team BOTA

♥-Colin

#36 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

I dont like how stunted the growth is in F2P games which usually winds up being a slog. Or have things locked away under the pay model. Truthfully not for that at all.

#37 BOTA:49

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

Stunted growth?  If anything F2P games grow and change infinitely more than a traditional retail game does.  As for things being locked away, it all depends.  In MechWarrior, for example, you can earn everything except cosmetics and "Hero" mechs.  The Hero mechs are just variations of other mechs, and honestly, the one that's released right now isn't even that great.  They don't do anything like hold more armor or something like that, they just have different hardpoints.  They're definitely not worth the real money they cost compared to the significantly cheaper regular mechs.  In Tribes, you can earn damn near everything there too.  Or you can buy it outright, or buy booster packs to help earn them quicker.  Nothing is really locked away completely.

Team BOTA

♥-Colin

#38 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

Still in general F2P models are built around stunted growth. If not players will reach end game too quickly and lose interest as there is no carrot. Its not that hard of a concept to understand. This is the model in general and not just the games you like.

#39 BOTA:49

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

And if a F2P wants to succeed, it needs to find that balance between letting people earn things and having them buy it.  If they didn't then F2P wouldn't be nearly as successful as it is with so many games going to that model.  It obviously works (World of Tanks, Tribes, Team Fortress 2, Maplestory, MS Flight, and plenty of others I'm forgetting).  That carrot dangles just a little bit further than a standard retail title, but you have the option of paying for it instead of grinding for it.  Not everyone thinks like you do Witz.  It's not that hard of a concept to understand. Posted Image

Team BOTA

♥-Colin

#40 Fixxxer

Fixxxer

Misfire

• PipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Anyone try out the beta?

http://www.playhawken.com/

Even though I hate the F2P business model I still have to give this long awaited game a test.

EDIT---

I feel kind of daft, but is there no video/audio options in the beta? Even basic ones? I can't seem to find the options and the resolution is so low text literally runs out of view of my monitor. I can't even find the control settings. My options when I fire up the game are 'Garage' and 'Deploy'.  I can't even exit the game without using end task.

To no one's surprise, though, the ability to purchase meteor is right there. How convenient.

EDIT 2 ---

It was just menu buttons that were off-screen. Launcher video options would help solve that issue.

Edited by Fixxxer, 13 December 2012 - 11:53 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users