Started by WhiteKnight77, Jul 12 2011 10:46 AM

#1 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,257 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:46 AM

Apparently rumors are true that MS intends to integrate Xbox Live Will Be Built Into The PC so gamers can play XBox games on the PC. Now, I know that are people that like their XBox, but why play games XBox games on the PC, especially when you already have the XBox? If you do not already have an XBox, why not buy one if you want to play such games?

MS failed at getting PC gamers to buy into the Games For Windows Live deal and ended up having to make it a free service. One would think that they learned their lesson after that little fiasco and now they are trying to force XBox Live down gamers throats by integrating it into the OS. :wall:

There are already many entertainment options with Netflix already being able to stream movies right to the PC. There is Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Steam and Xfire for finding games, screenshots, video, VoIP and ways to find games. Does MS think people will give up those options to pay to use XBox Live options? I honestly do not think so, but people do crazy things.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Supporter  GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

#2 MONOLITH

MONOLITH

BFS SECURITY

• 7,032 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

LoL. You're such an Xbox hater.    :rofl:

I don't think you're required to use it. I'm sure you could avoid it completely. There's tons of things that came with my PC that I never chose to use.

Console bias and "such games" aside, it may be a huge opportunity for friends to cross platform. You may not like anything related to Xbox, but that doesn't make this direction evil. It just may turn out to be a great thing for a lot of gamers who couldn't Co-op previously.

I hate spinach, but I don't trash spinach farmers. I just eat other things.
Posted Image

#3 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:55 PM

I am not necessarily an XBox hater, I just dislike MS trying to get PC gamers to pay for something as they have in the past (GFWL), especially as they had offered PC gamers something for free in the past (MSN Zone or The Zone). If it were offered as something that could be installed as one wished instead of integrated into the OS, then I am sure that PC gamers would not mind.

We also know about crossplatform gaming. It wasn't pretty and MS knows it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Bota:16

Bota:16

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

How deep XBox Live is integrated into Win8 is up for discussion, but I doubt they will force PC gamers to use it. If they did Ballmer would have angry nerds with pitchforks and catapults storming his house.

BOTA:49 said:

I'm sorry, but that's the equivalent of the Kool Aid guy jumping through my wall, me replastering it, and then the Kool Aid guy jumping back in again. It doesn't make me want any damn Kool Aid!

#5 Fixxxer

Fixxxer

PT Stud

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

If in doubt, keep using Windows 7 and wait to see what happens. I'm sure if Windows 8 constains intrusive (should they be so) Xbox Live features in the OS that give the user no option but to use it, Windows 7 will likely last until they either remove that or make another OS without it after a negative response.

But then again I'm the guy still running an outdated 5 year old system that doesn't mind turning the settings down just so he doesn't have to dump money into being able to play games in DX11 (or 10 for that matter).
Posted Image

#6 dporter

dporter

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:44 AM

I usually take these articles with a grain of salt when their source is an "industry insider" (aka pulled the information from my ass).

#7 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:36 AM

Re: MS to Integrate XBox Live Into Windows 8

I dont know anyone that I regularly would game with that uses a Xbox nor would I be interested in using Xbox over the PC....a mute selling point IMHO only.
Regards
Nemesis

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

#8 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

Even if it allows for playing XBox games on the PC, wouldn't one think that special hardware would be needed that reads the disk properly? Would a gamer shell out for more hardware (think about the PhysX card)?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Whisper_44

Whisper_44

Master Blaster

• 2,607 posts
  • Platform:Console gamer

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

Would a gamer shell out for more hardware (think about the PhysX card)
I'd say that enough folks did, making it a good enough business proposition that nVidia had to buy them

#10 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:43 AM

Notice though, that the PhysX card was done away with and integrated into the GPU now though.

Sure, some people would buy a special card to allow for use of an XBox game in the PC, but I do not think it would sell like hotcakes.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Bota:16

Bota:16

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

View PostWhiteKnight77, on 16 July 2011 - 08:32 AM, said:

Even if it allows for playing XBox games on the PC, wouldn't one think that special hardware would be needed that reads the disk properly? Would a gamer shell out for more hardware (think about the PhysX card)?

The only major difference between XBOX 360/PS3/PC is the processor architecture.  Which I'm guessing if they are planning it for the next Xbox (720?) and Windows 8 and not backwards compatible with the 360, that they would you use x86/x64 architecture in the new XBox.  If they did this then no special hardware would be necessary.

BOTA:49 said:

I'm sorry, but that's the equivalent of the Kool Aid guy jumping through my wall, me replastering it, and then the Kool Aid guy jumping back in again. It doesn't make me want any damn Kool Aid!

#12 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

That is assuming that MS uses DirectX for the next XBox. As it is now, XBox 360 games use a different API than DX. There would need to be an emulator or piece of hardware (additional video card?) to enable said game to run in a DX environment such as Windows. Will Windows 8 use DX? Why would MS dump it? You would think that would mean a whole rewrite of code for the OS and other media to interact with two APIs since MS has been using DX since Win95. As it is now, DX is made to work with the OS and the apps that access it. The XBox version is made to work with the XBox OS, not Windows.

Maybe John could shed some light on how it could work when he has a chance.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 ratoa

ratoa

Dud Round

• PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:29 AM

XBOX360 uses DX9
Good things come to those who wait