#1 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,808 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Couldnt find a thread on this.....

Well the Prequel is the new Sequel as of the last 10+ years & last night I got to finally watching "The Thing". The 2011 prequel is possibly one of the best prequels that ties the 2 stories together really well (something that has often left loopholes in the prequel plot). Im not going to say too muich but if you enjoyed the first movie back in 1982 then thi is a must. The Thing is well created with effects that really stand the ground & are not over complex as to distract from the original "things" mutations. Theres some common linkage between the 2 movies & the ending really pulled the 2 together well so dont turn it off at the title roll.

Loophole =
Spoiler

Well worth the watch :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Regards
Nemesis

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

#2 MONOLITH

MONOLITH

BFS SECURITY

• 7,032 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

All the Thing movies are awesome. A great concept for a creature, great environments, great casts, well acted, on and on. Just always well done. One of my favorite franchises alongside Aliens.

And for the record...  The 1982 movie is not the first .....It's a REMAKE   :yes:

The original Thing was 1951, and even that was awesome for it's time...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/
Posted Image

#3 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Id like to see the 2011 version myself. I remember hearing about it but over here everything with movies is slow as hell coming out, so had forgotten about it.

"I do nothing different than does anybody when they go work for IBM or any other corporation in the world. Is that corporation doing a service or disservice to society? And if you believe they are doing a disservice and you still work for them what does that make you?" - Slavko Ilic

"You will take over a small central African country, and make five hundred dollars." - soldier of fortune cookies

#4 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 8,978 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

I gave 9/10 .... I wish I didn't see the Special Feature first to appreciate the "tie-ins" from the 2nd movie (since Mono already pointed it out :harhar:)

the main guy was the "teacher" from "Warriors" ... he looks almost like Kurt Russel ... almost
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image
http://twitter.com/Acesian_Dehlyte

#5 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

View PostMONOLITH, on 27 March 2012 - 08:54 PM, said:

And for the record...  The 1982 movie is not the first .....It's a REMAKE   :yes:
...your obviously quite right I hadnt remembered the older original. Thanks for correction. :thumbsup:
Regards
Nemesis

#6 DetCord

DetCord

Sapper

• Donator
  • 820 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Meh....

While I didn't hate the latest one, JC's 1982 The Thing is a far far better film. The prequel didn't convey any of the claustrophobia or sense of dread like Carpenter's film did. I don't even wanna touch on the terrible CGI that replaced the intended use of puppets. Was it terrible? No. Was it good? No. Was it a decent horror/sci-fi flick? Yeah, I guess so.

EDIT - The more I watch it on Vudu the more I enjoy it.

Edited by DetCord, 03 April 2012 - 08:44 AM.

"It's probably because games that need to change, don't, and games that don't need to change, do."  -  Psychomorph

Posted Image

http://www.flybevirt...ures/BEE114.png

#7 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

The one thing Ive picked up on as a common thread from all of those that didnt enjoy the film or kept comparing it to the 82 version is all about the lack of stealth that the Thing used comparative to the fact that it just killed killed killed in the new prequel rather than waiting & then taking over its prey.
I tend to look at it as more intelligent in the 82 version as it learnt that an out & out attack would often lead to a counterattack which it then learnt from & became more stealthy & a stronger opponent....something unwritten but implied between the 2 movies.

Lets look at Alien vs Aliens in the same light....Alien -stalking its prey...Aliens -all out attack cos it can kick butt....with Thing (Pre) its got its butt kicked a few times then learns to be more stealthy with its kills (Thing 82).

Inteligence makes it a better "beast"...well thats my perecption only.
Regards
Nemesis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users