Started by Jsonedecker, Apr 01 2012 06:16 AM

#41 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

Human Claymore

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

I quite like Steam, and it is my preferred online store too.
Plus like others said, while it is possible to get an illegal steamworks game to work, if they ever found out there is a very big chance of them to simply shut down your entire account.  Which I like.

#42 BOTA:49

BOTA:49

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,615 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

I'ma bit behind the times with this, but figured I'd throw my 2 cents in.  Steam is absolutely DRM no matter how you break it down.  However, it is a form of DRM that adds some sort of value with it's mass integration while minimizing traditional DRM issues.  It's not the perfect solution, but it's definitely a great one.

View PostJsonedecker, on 01 April 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

Interesting, didn't realize you could play games bought through steam without actually having it running. Very interesting.
Absolutely.  Certain games do not need Steam running at all to play.  Far Cry 2 does this for example.  Same with ArmA 2 and CO according to others here.  You need Steam installed, you need to install the game via Steam, but you can close down the client and run the game, all without needing the "Offline Mode" that it has (which hardly ever works for some people to begin with).

Team BOTA

♥-Colin

View PostSwedish_Seb, on 01 March 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

And as usual, their opinions are as valid as their grammar.

#43 Bota:16

Bota:16

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Has it been decided whether or not GB will be using Steamworks?  If so, then I think it should be something added to the KS campaign.

BOTA:49 said:

I'm sorry, but that's the equivalent of the Kool Aid guy jumping through my wall, me replastering it, and then the Kool Aid guy jumping back in again. It doesn't make me want any damn Kool Aid!

#44 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,384 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

It hasn't been decided yet. We have the ability to use Gamespy just as easily.

#45 ApexMods

ApexMods

Ranger School Dropout

• Donator
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

Well, I for one am absolutely (and somewhat militantly) against any and all kinds of DRM.  Even e.g. just entering a CD key for "online activation" spoils a game for me nowadays, as I simply see it as a developer mistrusting a paying customer, because no one pirating the game will have to go through the pains of DRM at all.  The instant you make using the legal version of the game more cumbersome than a pirated one, you're doing something wrong.

The Mac App Store is a viable alternative to cumbersome and intrusive DRM.  One-click purchase and install, no "serial numbers", no "online activation" (as Apple allows neither on the App Store), and all your apps are kept up-to-date automagically.  If you want to offer a Mac version, make sure to comply with what Mac users have come to expect (i.e. the App Store is an absolute MUST).  Even outside of the App Store there is very little DRM on the Mac side of the fence, and games or applications "calling home" for "validation" are quite often shunned and their developers' reputation called into question.

I don't know how exactly Steam or the GameSpy solution compare to the App Store, but e.g. Steam requiring a special activation for "offline mode" doesn't bode too well at all.  I am aware that a No-DRM solution looks very risky to you guys and runs contrary to some proposed GB license juggling on Ebay, but if you want to be the good guys, (obtrusive) DRM does not fit in the picture at all.  Just my (admittedly quite radical) 2 cents on this.

Posted Image

THERE'S A NEW GHOST RECON. IT'S CALLED GROUND BRANCH.

#46 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,384 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

Yeah, we agree and hate DRM. However, there are some issues that may require us to do certain things. I hate being cumbersome to paying customers but we do not have the expertise or resources to make our own networking backend. So this requires using a premade service like Steam or Gamespy. Gamesply is the minimalist I suppose by using a CD-Key at install. Steam offers so many end user/Point Of Sale type amenities that it's really hard to pass up. The downside is Steam is a service that you are more or less tied to.

ADDED: Things like Steam Workshop allow auto downloads of mods as well. It's a service that provides a lot of value for the developer and consumer. They make it hard to not use it.

#47 ApexMods

ApexMods

Ranger School Dropout

• Donator
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Are you talking about online distribution or MP in regards to networking backend?  If it's MP, have you checked GameRanger?  Talk to Scott Kevill (the owner).  He's done the MP networking backend for original Ghost Recon on Mac (it says "Play on GameRanger" on Mac where it says "Play on Ubi.com" on PC).

Online distribution should be no problem at all nowadays, as there's a myriad of options now.

Posted Image

#48 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,384 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostApexMods, on 18 June 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

Are you talking about online distribution or MP in regards to networking backend?  If it's MP, have you checked GameRanger?  Talk to Scott Kevill (the owner).  He's done the MP networking backend for original Ghost Recon on Mac (it says "Play on GameRanger" on Mac where it says "Play on Ubi.com" on PC).

Yes, this is what I meant. I'll look into this.

Online distribution should be no problem at all nowadays, as there's a myriad of options now.

Yeah, this is true and not worried about it. I even thought some kind of bittorrent "shareware" type of setup would be interesting. :-)

#49 Bota:16

Bota:16

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

My vote is for Steamworks, I think there is just too many positives to not use it.  With mod support, anti-cheat (VAC), friends list (I don't know anybody who games on PC and doesn't have a Steam account), matchmaking, etc. in an all-in-one package.  I don't know the cost:benefit ratio to Steamworks and other alternatives, but Steam is an established, user friendly and highly recognizable platform.

BOTA:49 said:

I'm sorry, but that's the equivalent of the Kool Aid guy jumping through my wall, me replastering it, and then the Kool Aid guy jumping back in again. It doesn't make me want any damn Kool Aid!

#50 ApexMods

ApexMods

Ranger School Dropout

• Donator
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

At least Steam offers full Mac support, dunno about GameSpy.  Yeah, all things considered, I guess Steam would be just fine.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users