BFS Banner

• Please log in to reply

Ideas on how to really sell the Kickstarter Campaign.

Started by Stryk, Apr 18 2012 04:10 PM

#41 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,886 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

...good to see new members posting here...
-back on topic-
Regards
Nemesis

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

#42 galzohar

galzohar

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

View PostroELjoe, on 21 April 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

Or maybe (like me) just dont want anymore COD/BF3 clones.
Which leads to stressing the importance of showing how extremely different this is from COD/BF. For some people it's really hard to explain the extreme difference between COD/BF and Arma, so GB might have to face similar difficulties when trying to sell itself. Some people just have no clue what is real and what was just made up in order to make the game easier to get into and whatnot.
You don't mess with the Zohar!
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/galzohar
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/galzohar
ArmA Israel: http://www.arma-il.info

#43 Kirq

Kirq

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

There is one very important (if not crucial) aspect of kickstarter campaign that we didn't touched here - The Goal. I'm sure You got it all figured out at this point, but maybe you will find something helpful in our thought. The most important question is, should You set the goal at level that will allow to fund only MP part of the game, or maybe try to go one step further and aim at sum that will give you enough push to complete also Coop part of ther game, or maybe even some part of singleplayer campaign.

The way I see it, You should set the goal at level that will give you 100% funds needed to fully complete Multiplayer. Plus You should estimate sums needed for other parts of the game and name those sums on kicstarter page. I really hope that pledges will exceed Your goal. When people will know what are next unofficial goals, it might convince them not to stop at kickstarter goal and aim at coop goal or maybe even singleplayer. Plus be sure to declare that coop and singleplayer will be delivered even if You hit only basic goal, but it will take more time to release it in that case.
Posted Image

#44 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

You know I would think John has the goal covered by now, seeing that its already hinted that the KS will be starting soon. A bit hard for the "fans" to even attempt at assisting with some sort of goal assessment considering we dont have all of the financial breakdown of the whole project + kickstarter related money usage.

A proper project would have that taken care of from the start, all the numbers that is. Knowing how John is am sure that everything should be squared away. Posted Image

"I do nothing different than does anybody when they go work for IBM or any other corporation in the world. Is that corporation doing a service or disservice to society? And if you believe they are doing a disservice and you still work for them what does that make you?" - Slavko Ilic

"You will take over a small central African country, and make five hundred dollars." - soldier of fortune cookies

#45 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

Human Claymore

• PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

Good point.

It might also help to talk about how single player is envisioned exactly. Tactical planning, mission set-up, etc. so people don't just expect mp with bots, basically.

#46 zoog

zoog

Master Blaster

• Contributor
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

View PostKirq, on 22 April 2012 - 05:49 AM, said:

There is one very important (if not crucial) aspect of kickstarter campaign that we didn't touched here - The Goal. I'm sure You got it all figured out at this point, but maybe you will find something helpful in our thought. The most important question is, should You set the goal at level that will allow to fund only MP part of the game, or maybe try to go one step further and aim at sum that will give you enough push to complete also Coop part of ther game, or maybe even some part of singleplayer campaign.

The way I see it, You should set the goal at level that will give you 100% funds needed to fully complete Multiplayer. Plus You should estimate sums needed for other parts of the game and name those sums on kicstarter page. I really hope that pledges will exceed Your goal. When people will know what are next unofficial goals, it might convince them not to stop at kickstarter goal and aim at coop goal or maybe even singleplayer. Plus be sure to declare that coop and singleplayer will be delivered even if You hit only basic goal, but it will take more time to release it in that case.

Here is the recent updated Q&A answer to the question if GB will be MP or SP game, I think it covers your question:

GroundBranch.com Q&A said:

This is somewhat dependent on how the Kickstarter turns out. Ground Branch will eventually have Singleplayer, Multiplayer and a Co-op component to it. Although, we are currently only working on the Multiplayer component (SP campaign is designed), but if a specific secondary funding goal is met then we will be able to include Co-op and/or a full SP experience.

If those secondary goals are not met then the plan is to release just the adversarial MP portion first as it is the most cost effective solution for a small independently funded team. There will then be a follow on release of a Singleplayer/Co-op campaign with revenue generated from sales of the first release. The MP release will include a preview of the Co-op experience though.

View PostSiC-Disaster, on 22 April 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

It might also help to talk about how single player is envisioned exactly. Tactical planning, mission set-up, etc. so people don't just expect mp with bots, basically.

Yeah, SP campaign needs some extra information. Some might expect pre-planning phases like R6, others might expect the way GR did it etc. There's still a huge amount of people who are mainly interested in SP, right now there is not very much known about how this will be implemented.
Posted Image

#47 Kirq

Kirq

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

View Postzoog, on 22 April 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

Here is the recent updated Q&A answer to the question if GB will be MP or SP game, I think it covers your question:

Nice, just be sure to put it somewhere on kickstarter page in big, bold letters with specific secondary goals. Not everyone will read whole Q&A, and this info might be crucial for some ppl.
Posted Image

#48 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,506 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

Don;t worry... that kind of stuff is very clear in the KS.

#49 roELjoe

roELjoe

Ranger School Dropout

• Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Platform:Console gamer

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

View Postgalzohar, on 21 April 2012 - 10:53 PM, said:

Which leads to stressing the importance of showing how extremely different this is from COD/BF. For some people it's really hard to explain the extreme difference between COD/BF and Arma, so GB might have to face similar difficulties when trying to sell itself. Some people just have no clue what is real and what was just made up in order to make the game easier to get into and whatnot.

I meant that Pollice Warfare looked like a COD/BF3 clone, not GB Posted Image

#50 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

View Postgalzohar, on 21 April 2012 - 10:53 PM, said:

You know what would be cool, a video series in style of "A day in the life of". Day 1 would show the guys on the Killhouse training site, in all black suits, masked with carbines and do some kickass CQBing. Day2 would be in the forest doing some reconnaissance. Day 3 sniper range, etc. This could very well work as daily Kickstarter updates, not through the course of the whole campaign of course, but only a couple of days, as a featurette showing different scenarios.

Unfortunately GB isn't there yet to have this I guess, but maybe it can be done in a minimalistic way, like a comic book with a series of ingame screenshots.

View PostroELjoe, on 22 April 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

Didn't know about this, you learn something new everyday. Looks very interesting, but of course it aims at the Battlefield community. Even the presentation video was "disgustingly" BF3 like.
Posted Image

#51 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

Well they went and pulled the plug on their own KS. My guess is as good as anyones, but Id say they possibly found themselves a publisher. The Police Warfare folks that is.

"I do nothing different than does anybody when they go work for IBM or any other corporation in the world. Is that corporation doing a service or disservice to society? And if you believe they are doing a disservice and you still work for them what does that make you?" - Slavko Ilic

"You will take over a small central African country, and make five hundred dollars." - soldier of fortune cookies

#52 KFORF Blue UK

KFORF Blue UK

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

Edited by KFORF Blue UK, 22 April 2012 - 01:59 PM.

General all round good guy and handsome Bas.t.ard

#53 V2_Bloodline

V2_Bloodline

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

Posted Image

#54 Colin

Colin

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

View PostDetCord, on 19 April 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

This is where I disagree. On the game not being for the masses that is.

I was the typical console and fast paced FPS action guy/kid back in the day. It wasn't until I purchased OGR on a whim that I really got into the genre, which eventually lead to OFP, the H&D series, ArmA, etcetera. Point being, if its marketed right and the word of mouth is good, then the game will sell and sell well. I'm living proof that people will cross that genre barrier and try new things.

Edit: No idea about Kotaku, Led. I try and stay away from there.

I have never had a console, so pc GR was really my only game, oh and Rainbow I think I only did coop with the guys in the squad, played for a few years, during that time we have youngsters come over and play, but the pace was too slow, after ten minutes it was can we do tvt or ctf stuff which is ok but they just could not  play for an hour or two doing a set mission.

So when I say select few will be the type to play this game that's what I'm driving at, the game will not suit a lot of players.

And to be honest I don't think John is making this game for the masses, in fact I know he is not.

He want to see good old set piece game play, with good interesting objectives, that take thought and planning to complete with out getting your nuts shot off, and of course close to as real as you can get, and that to be honest is just too boring for a lot of people.

Lets say you spend 45 minutes getting to an ambush, then you have a fire fight for 2 minutes then back home for tea.

I can`t see many players liking that too much, Det do you see my point.?

yes the game will sell and it will do great but I think we are talking a few thousand here WW.  Maybe later on John can change the dynamics to suite the more impatient gamer and make the game more approachable to the younger generation, I`m sure that can be done and still keep the original as it is.

I`m sorry but that picture of you, is it you on the left just cracks me up when I look at it, I cant quite put me finger on why it does it just does ...........sorry man.Posted Image
Posted Image

#55 Rove

Rove

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

I can't believe it's been that long I've visited the BFS website for the last time but anyway if you want more sales on KS I would just add a phrase "free ingame beer, pizza and ...".
Ah well, I guess it boils down to personal preference. Either you like the game or you don't.
Posted Image

#56 galzohar

galzohar

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

View PostroELjoe, on 22 April 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

Yes I know, but I meant that GB could look like a COD/BF clone to many people, and it would take some good effort to convince them otherwise. For starters, any footage not taken from first person view will probably make it look like a COD/BF clone. Even 1st person footage would have to really focus on showing the unique features of the game in a very obvious way to set it apart from the COD/BF clones. After all, the big differences aren't in the way thinks look, but rather how they work and how they feel when you actually play, and showing that in a video and explaining with text is not that simple. Especially if you want to keep things short and to the point.
You don't mess with the Zohar!
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/galzohar
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/galzohar
ArmA Israel: http://www.arma-il.info

#57 N'kEnNy

N'kEnNy

Pop up Target

• Donator
  • 288 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

Start by showing a mockup  (or actual screenshot) of the Planning Phase and you'll be good to go.

-k

Kill things, break stuff, repeat as necessary.

#58 Comunitext

Comunitext

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

I believe it would be a good idea to put in an access to beta for like 10$ and then make the game 25$ MP, 40$ whole game.
Mabye even adding options for special features in the game (Certain gun, Gamemode, Armpatch packs, More host options)

GOOO KICKSTARTER!!!!! Posted Image

Edited by Comunitext, 23 April 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#59 V2_Bloodline

V2_Bloodline

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

View PostComunitext, on 23 April 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

I believe it would be a good idea to put in an access to beta for like 10$ and then make the game 25$ MP, 40$ whole game.
Posted Image

Mabye even adding options for special features in the game (Certain gun, Gamemode, Armpatch packs, More host options)
Posted Image

#60 zoog

zoog

Master Blaster

• Contributor
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:17 AM

View PostColin, on 23 April 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

yes the game will sell and it will do great but I think we are talking a few thousand here WW.  Maybe later on John can change the dynamics to suite the more impatient gamer and make the game more approachable to the younger generation, I`m sure that can be done and still keep the original as it is.
I don't think there will be any need too make it more "approachable", some of the "younger generation" will see the light just as we did with games like Rainbow Six etc. Exactly because of how different the game is compared to most other shooters. I don't see why the things that happened when the "old school" tac genre was born can't happen again, without changing the game experience to lure casual players to the game.

Btw, how many copies did R6 or GR sold? I assume that it was more than a few thousand. I think and hope GB can do the same as those titles/
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users