Started by Dizzybone, Apr 22 2012 10:53 PM

#1 Dizzybone

Dizzybone

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

Well, I got the e-mail. Good to see things picking up again. looks like i havent been here in 2-3 years. I remember how excited I was back then.

Do you know what I've been doing since then? Playing Rogue Spear. With the same 60-70 people, on the new www.voobly.com Lobby or "Zone" system. (BTW, Tormentium (works for NVIDIA and created Voobly) created a stellar anti-cheat for rogue spear, it's all integrated into the lobby system.)

That's right. I still love it, I'm still ladder matching everyday on www.vg-ladder.com. Anyone who knows me in real life, knows im a loyal addict to two thing, Rogue Spear, and Linkin Park (I really dont even listen to much else), both of which hit my life around the same time 1999-2000. That's 12 years of dedication, I must be crazy.

Anyways, not that you really care about all that, I just felt it necessary to post my credentials for what I'm about to ask. Over the years my friends and I have spammed UBI Forums RSE Forums, XFIRE Forums, we've contacted old friends, some come back and some leave right away. We try to spread the word to come back and play the game you once loved. We have little success but at least we've kept a very modest community alive for this long.

We find it often comical sometimes how we see so many posts of people before us and randomly throughout the years posting topics such as "Why not create a Rogue Spear 2?" Makes sense right? Valve knows it had a gem with counter-strike, an aging gem, so they created Source, the game's are outstandingly similar, just with updated technology. They took something people loved, and profitable, and created something they then knew people would love again and make even more money from that, A ###### LOAD OF $$$$$ Valve is a beast.

Sorry, anyways.... I know you already know all of this John, so I guess all I'm asking is, what can I tell my people? Can I tell them to finally look forward to a new game once and for all? Will Ground Branch seem familiar to us whatsoever?

Posted Image

Ahh, the ######ing good days, no matter what happens, thank you for this ^

#2 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

Human Claymore

• PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

I can't really contribute anything to this thread but dear god, I wish I could still play Rogue Spear.
It has by far the best movement system for a CQB game in my opinion, although SWAT 4 comes extremely close. Rogue Spear tops it though by having every bit of movement have a different reaction to the accuracy of your weapon, and mastering the control over this teaches you how to play tactically really well.
SWAT 4 feels just as smooth but is a bit more simplistic in the way movement affects accuracy.

But for some reason, Rogue Spear seems to hate my ATI cards and Win7.

#3 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,437 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

I wouldn't call me a 'forefather' but I have always said that working on Rogue Spear was the single best time I have had in the game industry. We had a great team working on a great game. My daughter was born at the end of development to. Posted Image

#4 Kirq

Kirq

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

And the great times came to us when You Guys finished Your work :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#5 Shaft

Shaft

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

Getting way ahead here...but how difficult would it be to eventually create a RS mod for Ground Branch?  It could involve the removal of the weapon view, adding the ability to toggle first/third person view, hud/minimap, and perhaps a few maps (CSL anyone?)...Could be pretty sik.

Edited by Shaft, 23 April 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#6 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

View PostShaft, on 23 April 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

Getting way ahead here...but how difficult would it be to eventually create a RS mod for Ground Branch?  It could involve the removal of the weapon view, adding the ability to toggle first/third person view, hud/minimap, and perhaps a few maps (CSL anyone?)...Could be pretty sik.

http://www.blackfoot...?showtopic=5761

Doesnt talk about things like 3rd person toggle, hud/minimap. Covers thoughts on the removal of the weapon view though.

"I do nothing different than does anybody when they go work for IBM or any other corporation in the world. Is that corporation doing a service or disservice to society? And if you believe they are doing a disservice and you still work for them what does that make you?" - Slavko Ilic

"You will take over a small central African country, and make five hundred dollars." - soldier of fortune cookies

#7 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,437 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

Wouldn't be hard for a skilled team to do. Unreal Engine is highly moddable.

And City Street Large... oh that is one of my favorites that I designed. That and KillHouse Double. Posted Image

#8 Kirq

Kirq

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

I hope that early 2013 will bring new iconic maps ;)
Posted Image

#9 bangurdead

bangurdead

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

View PostKirq, on 23 April 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

I hope that early 2013 will bring new iconic maps Posted Image

I'm already looking towards re-claiming a map I made for Raven Shield (TV station from Rogue Spear) to possibly port it over...

#10 Shaft

Shaft

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostJsonedecker, on 23 April 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

And City Street Large... oh that is one of my favorites that I designed. That and KillHouse Double. Posted Image

Mine too, you did an awesome job!  Rarely do you find maps now a days that feel so well balanced.  Would be pretty awesome if you borrowed elements of that map for GB ;)

#11 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

That map still gives me nightmares from getting my ass handed to me on it. KHD that is.

"I do nothing different than does anybody when they go work for IBM or any other corporation in the world. Is that corporation doing a service or disservice to society? And if you believe they are doing a disservice and you still work for them what does that make you?" - Slavko Ilic

"You will take over a small central African country, and make five hundred dollars." - soldier of fortune cookies

#12 jwp1223

jwp1223

MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!!

• Donator
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

View Postbangurdead, on 23 April 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

I'm already looking towards re-claiming a map I made for Raven Shield (TV station from Rogue Spear) to possibly port it over...

You made that map?!?! I should kick your ass for me getting my ass handed on that map many many many times! I loved it!
Ground Branch...Sweet Baby Jesus it's good
We came for the game, we stayed for the community.
It's hotter than two rats screwin in a wool sock out there.

View PostWhiteKnight77, on 16 June 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

When the trolling memes start appearing, you know you have stepped over the line and lost all credibility.

#13 Bota:16

Bota:16

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

Presidio is my favorite R6 map. :)  Though I liked CSL a lot as well because it allowed for a large variety of tactics

BOTA:49 said:

I'm sorry, but that's the equivalent of the Kool Aid guy jumping through my wall, me replastering it, and then the Kool Aid guy jumping back in again. It doesn't make me want any damn Kool Aid!

#14 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 9,065 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Space Shuttle...nuff said
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image
http://twitter.com/Acesian_Dehlyte

#15 Psychomorph

Psychomorph

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

View PostDizzybone, on 22 April 2012 - 10:53 PM, said:

Posted Image

Small team, great game.
Posted Image

#16 Shaft

Shaft

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

cant imagine a game of that quality and length being created by a team so small today...amazing...Havent played it in years, but still my favorite game I've ever played.  MP sucked a good 2 years out of my life.

#17 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,437 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

And we made it in 12 months. Posted Image

#18 V2_Bloodline

V2_Bloodline

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

View PostJsonedecker, on 23 April 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

And we made it in 12 months. Posted Image
Posted Image R U SRS!?

#19 Kirq

Kirq

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

And now it takes IW/Treyarch 2 years to "create" "new" Call of Duty title. Gaming industry went is a wrong direction at some point...
Posted Image

#20 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:36 AM

Its a business, those games sell. Therefore they make more. They are smart enough to generally stick to the phrase "If it aint broken, dont fix it" which is why the formula of the COD series have stayed generally the same with tweaks added in here and there. That and its the market for the larger part that drives what developers create. If you want to look at something that started the revolution into companies realizing there is $$$ in COD-ish titles would be from Counter Strike. A game that touched the masses and showed just how large of a market there was out there for titles of that particular design. Which is why for the longest time during that era people would call things "CS" clones. Now things are called "COD / BF" clones. Same cycle different era.

In regards to the production of said titles. Regardless if you think that they look the same and share some resources, still building everything up from the ground isnt something you can pull out of your ass overnight.

Project design, approval, script / scenario writing, voice acting talent hiring, sound recording, mapping, texture creation, model creation, animation, licensing, marketing, offline component programming, offline component testing, online component programming, online component testing, game balancing, approval process of title with "X" game rating committee (example ESRB in the US or PEGI in Europe), approval process of game for "X" hardware platform (360, PS3, Wii / Didnt work on PC titles so John would have details on that)

While thats just a big jumbled up list, doing all of that is something which requires a good amount time and effort. Once again regardless if the titles "look" the same to someone who does not know just how much time and effort is required to create a new game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users