Started by Arcane, Apr 23 2012 03:01 AM

#1 Arcane

Arcane

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

Just a quick question:

Is there any consideration to a reticule only view similar to Rogue Spear, Ghost Recon and Raven Shield?

#2 Kirq

Kirq

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,729 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:00 AM

I'm pretty sure that short answer is "no". True first person view is among basic features of Ground Branch.
Posted Image

#3 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

Id let John answer this one Kirq.

"I do nothing different than does anybody when they go work for IBM or any other corporation in the world. Is that corporation doing a service or disservice to society? And if you believe they are doing a disservice and you still work for them what does that make you?" - Slavko Ilic

"You will take over a small central African country, and make five hundred dollars." - soldier of fortune cookies

#4 Kirq

Kirq

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

View PostWitzbold, on 23 April 2012 - 04:45 AM, said:

Id let John answer this one Kirq.

Notice I said "I'm pretty sure". But thank Your for correcting me, once more. You are my personal editor here lately.
Posted Image

#5 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,184 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

True First Person is a cornerstone of the game, but the visual side of it could be turned off I suppose. Might be a novel "throw back" to the old school days.

Would people be interested in this as an option?

#6 Kirq

Kirq

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

Options are always good, as long it doesn't need too much resources to implenet it. Plus, it had to be server side option to even the field of view for all players. I personally wouldn't go back to OGR reticule-only system.
Posted Image

#7 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:52 AM

Id say it would be indeed cool to put in later on if its not a lot of trouble. As to its a great "throw back" as you mentioned plus am sure there will be groups of people who would use it just because.

Am sure it would take a little bit more effort to do with the type of functions in the game, but most def its possible once again go for it. If anything at least have it announced to get folks ears perked up, if you do decide to do the feature later on.

"I do nothing different than does anybody when they go work for IBM or any other corporation in the world. Is that corporation doing a service or disservice to society? And if you believe they are doing a disservice and you still work for them what does that make you?" - Slavko Ilic

"You will take over a small central African country, and make five hundred dollars." - soldier of fortune cookies

#8 zoog

zoog

Master Blaster

• Contributor
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

View PostJsonedecker, on 23 April 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

I'd say stay with one system/option. I still remember the debates about the possible advantage for people who turned off the weapon view in Raven Shield. So some server admins were pre-emptively setting the server on "forced no FPW view" so that everybody would have the same playing field. I personally like to see my weapon, and it would be a shame if a lot of servers would pre-emptively force me to play without. On top of that it actually does give you an advantage if there is no 3D model in your field of view. Not that it matters me that much, but it's an "issue" that will be introduced when having something like this as an option (unless server admin force it, which brings me back to the first issue).

You could of course make it optional for SP and non-optional for MP. But that might be even more confusing Posted Image
Even though I have a "Contributor" badge, all my posts are strictly personal opinions.

Posted Image

#9 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:07 AM

Just let folks play the way they want and allow servers to control the way they want people to play for those who care about things like an even playing field. Posted Image

As stated before and by many others who game these days, options are good.

Zoog with what you are worried about with servers, I dont think that a lot of them would be doing the no weapon view option as most folks have moved onto accepting seeing ones weapon, but for those who want a classical feel will have their way to play too.

#10 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,184 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

Thinking about it some more, it would take a fair amount of work to make it happen. Nothing difficult, but since our ballistics system doesn't work like the old days there would need to be 2 completely different setups. Might be a fun mod to release later though.

#11 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

Plus would be a bit hard for folks to judge things like safe distance away from walls and such for weapon collision. Which you can do some sorts of visual references with the weapon model with.

Indeed as a later feature or mod it would be great. But something that isnt exactly high priority from the start.

#12 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

PT Stud

• PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

It would be an awesome wink to the good old days in my opinion.
Not a big priority in any sort of way but I could get a kick out of it for sure, though all the possible problems caused with all the modern features as mentioned above is an interesting problem to solve for sure.
It could be a fun thing for a trailer or something, something to show people that GB is the spiritual successor to R6/GR and such. But yeah, it would probably be better to add later as an option.

Btw, I was one of those who played Raven Shield without first person weapons on because I loved the retro feel of it. I didnt do it for any kind of vision bonus or whatever, though it's a good point.
If it was to become an option it would be best to leave it to the server to decide I suppose, and I think most of them will keep first person weapons turned off.
But for something like co-op it wouldnt matter that much, as it's all against AI and thus is a personal preference.

#13 Comunitext

Comunitext

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

After playing a lot of non tactical shooters it might be hard for people to feel comfortable with that type of style.
Every shooters mission nowadays is to fire a full clip reload, keep firing and EARN SMORE XP! omgoodness stopthisnonsense

It does expand your limitations since you have more of an open screen since the gun model display isn't infront of you.

I really do miss the reticule shooting. Makes you have a feel for the guns, since you can feel how rapid the shots fire and how slow it takes for a 'recharge' in your shot.

Edited by Comunitext, 23 April 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#14 chainbreaker

chainbreaker

Ranger School Dropout

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

View PostJsonedecker, on 23 April 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

True First Person is a cornerstone of the game, but the visual side of it could be turned off I suppose. Might be a novel "throw back" to the old school days.

i love it ,make it optionalPosted Image

#15 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

def make it optional old skool stylee...lol :-) or realease as a later update ie v1.1
Regards
Nemesis

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

#16 spm1138

spm1138

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Hmnehh.

Why?

You're going to a load of trouble to develop a more complicated aiming system.

The reticule thing is fine for old school hitscan RCoF but I presume GB isn't hitscan RCoF so... :S

#17 galzohar

galzohar

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

Maybe a "center of the screen" dot that you must specifically enable through options for single player or player-hosted games only, and for servers the server admin must go through some effort to find how to turn it on for his server :)

And of course, never show it in any promotional videos either!
You don't mess with the Zohar!
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/galzohar
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/galzohar
ArmA Israel: http://www.arma-il.info

#18 Bota:16

Bota:16

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

Personally, I wouldn't use it, but I'm not against it (as long as the server can force the setting (on, off, player preference). Not being able to see your weapon how will someone compensate for weapon collision on solid objects?  If there is no weapon in your view, I'm assuming no body parts or animation either, wouldn't your view have to be "zoomed in" essentially lowering your FOV.  Not having a weapon in view kills the immersion for me and seems like more trouble to implement than it would be worth.

BOTA:49 said:

I'm sorry, but that's the equivalent of the Kool Aid guy jumping through my wall, me replastering it, and then the Kool Aid guy jumping back in again. It doesn't make me want any damn Kool Aid!

#19 galzohar

galzohar

Master Blaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Ah you actually mean to not see the weapon either? I find that pretty out of place in a game like GB...
You don't mess with the Zohar!
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/galzohar
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/galzohar
ArmA Israel: http://www.arma-il.info

#20 213

Pop up Target

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

yeah i'm voting no. ironsights is one of the good innovations to come from modern games, regressing back to the reticle view would be somewhat strange.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users