Started by Witzbold, May 01 2012 07:34 PM

#21 Witzbold

Witzbold

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 4,156 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Interesting article in regards to Black Ops II. Dont have anything to say about it myself, but its a good read and worth taking a look at.
Article is titled the following to give you an idea what its about before hand.

"Could Black Ops II's Setting Land Activision In Legal Trouble?"

http://www.gameinfor...ack-ops-ii.aspx

"I do nothing different than does anybody when they go work for IBM or any other corporation in the world. Is that corporation doing a service or disservice to society? And if you believe they are doing a disservice and you still work for them what does that make you?" - Slavko Ilic

"You will take over a small central African country, and make five hundred dollars." - soldier of fortune cookies

#22 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 9,234 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

if this game has seizure inducing molecule in it, I'LL PASS!!!

I tried to finish the last BO, and I literally had to get out of the room or turn off the monitor off during flashbacks.
add me to your Facebook
Posted Image
http://twitter.com/Acesian_Dehlyte

#23 Brettzies

Brettzies

Pop up Target

• PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Got this game for Christmas. Could not bring myself to buy it, but I did want to play it. I hate and like it at the same time - don't  luv though. I really enjoy the mw campaigns, as short as they are. This is kind of all over the place. I do like the 80-90s mission settings, but the rest is a bit like graw only way worse.   Too future for me. Some cool guns, and it more or less plays the same as what infinity ward designed in 2008.  No laser guns, but still, all the drones kills it for me. I did not like the real time strategy missions at all...however, there is a strange ogr potential there in that you can jump into a soldier or turret or robot and take control of it like old red storm games.   If I had to rate the game objectively I couldn't give it less than an 8, because of the high production values, visuals, and game modes.  But subjectively, for me, it's about a 6.5. kind of surprised no one here played it, but then again, I really didn't have much interest in it given the setting.

#24 N'kEnNy

N'kEnNy

Pop up Target

• Donator
  • 288 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

On a whim I broke my own rule, never buy a Treyarch game, and purchased Black Ops 2 during a flash steam sale. I have put a few hours into the game. To say the very least, I have only reinforced my own rule.

The strategic missions were the new feature toted in this call of duty. A series of optional missions which supposedly offered non-linearity to the game. Like much of their new features, this is but an illusion. The tactical missions suffer from poor and unfocused gameplay. At its very core the game revolves into a constant stream of friendlies and baddies spawning in a semi-open environment. The way to win is to personally take control of a unit, then beat at the enemy until no more arrive. Attempting to use the tactical interface is a fools errand. Not only is the friendly AI nearly useless, but the interface elements themselves are unintuitive and poorly planned.

Speaking of poorly laid out, the storyline is bad. Just BAD. Not even in an ironic sense could it be viewed favourably. The same tired old Americah roo-raah attitude through the treyarch template 'oh everything is not what it seems-- they are all out to betray you'. Meaning the story goes from one immersion breaking scene to another. Christ. The chief bad guy repeatedly demonstrating practically omniscient foreknowledge of the protagonists movement, you might almost think he wrote the script. Jumps in time, and between the different characters, do very little to immerse the player in the story (and setting), instead feeling like someone wanted to emulate Modern Warfare 1, without understanding the rythm of good storytelling.

Which leaves the overall mission design. Whereas Modern Warfare 1 was a series of wows and felt authentic, Black ops 2 forgoes all that in favour of crowbaring in as many set pieces as possible into each mission. Climbing scenes, vehicle sections, weapon-targeting, gun-turrets, only missing out on the gunship scene. Neither set piece drive the story in any particularly fashion and no order of introduction appears to have been planned. That is not all however.  Treyarch have managed the impossible. They have taken relatively open areas and turned them into narrow corridors, narrower still than ANY earlier version of CoD.  Adding insult to injury, deviating from the beaten path results in instant death from a variety of sources. Hellsbells, there are even platforming sections, where jumps must be timed to the second-- again deviation is death.

Black Ops 2 is a frustrating experience to say the least. Particularly given the promise of the new setting. Again Treyarch have done it. Black Ops 1, a spy-thriller set to the 60-70s, was a fantastic idea with a ton of potential.  BO2 with its futuristic setting-- Drones, cloaking devices, ultra-tech climbing gear, wingsuits, and super computers are all the right pieces to make for fantastically interesting experience, yet throws it all out the window on a weak storyline and unfocused gameplay. With the boys behind the original Call of Duty franchise out of the picture, see Titanfall, and Treyarch at the helm, we are approaching the end of an era.  For better or worse, Call of Duty is going down.

Ken

Kill things, break stuff, repeat as necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users