Started by SiC-Disaster, May 02 2012 05:25 PM

#1 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

Human Claymore

• PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

I just figured i'd plonk down a link on here as well, even though I've been unactive for a while I hope there are some people who might be interested in reading it :)

So, while I havent actually started traveling yet (I hope I'll be able to leave in a couple of weeks though!) I already started a traveling blog a few months back.
It might have been a bit premature but I decided to go ahead and create one because a few months ago I spent a week in the Czech Republic ski'ing and I convinced my parents to make a trip to Auschwitz in Poland because it was the closest we'd be likely to get in the coming years and it has always been a place I wanted to have visited.
The story of the Holocaust has always greatly influenced the way I thought about people and I really wanted to talk about it at one point or another on the blog, and I didnt want to write about it after a longer period of time had gone by in fear of memory watering it down (even though I doubt that would ever be possible).
In the meantime though I have to keep the blog sort of going and so I decided to write some additional posts about my plans so far and today I wrote a new post about one of the people that greatly inspire me.
In future though the posts would be all about my travels and written as I go :)

I hope you guys enjoy it:
http://a-wanderers-soul.blogspot.com/

#2 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

Human Claymore

• PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Made a new post because I finally have a set date of departure!
And to give the post a little more substance I included a 90-minute film of somebody else's trip in Finland, Norway and Sweden among other places.
It really is very interesting to watch Posted Image

#3 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

Human Claymore

• PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

Made another new short post to follow up the promise made in my last post, containing the only other hitchhiking film I know. It's another really interesting watch.
Enjoy: http://a-wanderers-soul.blogspot.com/

#4 ICRage

ICRage

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Very interesting indeed. Love seeing or hearing of new places I might want to wander too. I choose a different path more of a historic route. Mainly also in my surrounding area or state. Its amazing what you will find.

Ive been trying to follow alot of the older paths by the ohio river. Stumbling much on the tales of Simon Girty. Ive pretty much covered most of the caverns, hiding (stash spots) in my state.

Explored much of Frank and Jesse James's travels as well. The Merimac caverns is a must see.

My most recent adventure was to Ashtabula and a historic train wreck site. The events that happened made cleveland it is today. If the accident never happened  Ashtabula could of been a major city like what cleveland is. Many people died and alot of those involved killed themselves. Its said to be haunted by those that took their own life.  Didnt encounter anything but very interesting and a helluva walk to get a look at everything. Did find some artifacts from the wreck. Nothing major but there is still pieces there. Couple older spikes from the railroad that used to run there and such.

My next adventure is to Johnstown PA. Not far from where the plane from the 911 attacks crashed. Theres a bunch of abandoned roads and older bridges that locals use to go swimming off of. Who knows what Ill find but theres plenty of hills to walk through. Its an older town and also rich in history. The main town has the mills still. The hills have vast sources of coal and iron ore. So theres a possiblity of stumbling on some old mines.

Although I do share alot of the same feelings and thoughts as you however most of the spots Ive been are so remote I dont usually show pictures I took or let others know its there. That makes it that much special to me. Many years of hiking well I take everything and I usually carry my dumbass letter. Just in case I go too remote and well yes I know Im a dumbass for doing it in the first place lol. Hence the letter.

Youll love canada. Its breathtaking when you go deeper in. I did a 50 mile canoe trip in my youth. It had almost half of that in portages and hiking with a canoe on your back is mighty  tough and match that with a pack.  In all honesty that trip was the prettiest and best enjoyed of all. From getting chased by a moose and all the other thrills it was just amazing.  Try not to come back and say "eh" alot tho lol.

I do share alot of Christophers feelings however I have to work a ton to get the gear I need which always needs replenished. Batteries arent cheap and some places Ive been its soo dark and if you remain there too long in the dark you go blind because the rods and cones part get burned out. When not stimulated by light you loose it. Doing these adventures is freedom. Pureness. Really I cant find the words for it. But you often look at the idiots scrambling for this or that as you walk off. The farther you get away the more happiness comes. An inner peace. Everything is easier to understand. Most people dont understand the meaning of finding water. The industrial revolution changed everything including man/woman.

Safe travels my friend. I will venture out today and take a picture of a public place here that started it all for me. Perhaps it will get others to venture out and find some more.

#5 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

Human Claymore

• PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for that post, it's very interesting and helps strengthen my resolve :)
Because well, I'm off tomorrow morning!
Plane flies at 14:00, but I have to be at Schiphol at around 11:00, and will be leaving home at around 09:00 to get there. Then I have about 8,5 hours of flying ahead of me before I will land in Toronto, Ontario at around 16:30 local time (Ontario is 6 hours behind Holland).
Have said goodbye to both sides of my family, my friends and my younger sister, and will be seen off by my parents tomorrow. It feels really weird. I have been dreaming about this for a long time and now it's finally here. At the same time there is this sense of melancholy as I leave everything I know behind as I switch continents and I will be completely on my own and pretty much cut-off except for the few moments where I am able to establish some kind of contact online.
I carry no laptop or anything like that with me, so it's going to be completely random contact every now and then. So there are some big doubts still flying around in my head along with excitement. It's hard to know how to feel. One moment I'm exuberant, the next I think "What the hell am I doing?"
But I hope it all turns out for the best Posted Image

#6 Swedish_Seb

Swedish_Seb

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,293 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:16 AM

Good luck and take lots of pictures. Remember, Sebby likes waterfalls.
"With a good iron pipe one strikes the whole world with astonishment."
- Socker-Conny (1961-1989)
Posted Image

#7 zoog

zoog

Master Blaster

• Contributor
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:35 AM

Can't wait for your next update when you've done your first weeks of travel. Great adventure
Posted Image

#8 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

Human Claymore

• PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

Well Seb, you're in luck (if you can wait for a little while longer!) because I'm at the Niagara Falls right now! Unfortunately I haven't found a place yet where I can upload the pictures and video's I made.
I did however put a little post online yesterday with some other pictures and the story so far!
a-wanderers-soul.blogspot.com

The same woman from that post drove me here, too. She was very generous and I can't thank her enough for all she did.

#9 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

Human Claymore

• PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

New update with pictures and a video:
http://a-wanderers-soul.blogspot.com

#10 DetCord

DetCord

Sapper

• Donator
  • 964 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Do you happen to know anyone that has done the Camino de Santiago de Compostela? I have a bunch of leave I have to use or lose and a buddy and myself are considering doing it in its entirety. I'd like to get some first-hand feed back before I commit to a 780km ruck march.
"It's probably because games that need to change, don't, and games that don't need to change, do."  -  Psychomorph

Posted Image

http://www.flybevirt...ures/BEE114.png

#11 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

Human Claymore

• PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Unfortunately I can't help you there, I have no experience myself nor do I know anyone who has done that trek, though one of my friends is interested in doing it, as am I.
I have been to the French Pyrrenees and have hiked there though. The mountains can be very tough on the legs, but afaik there is a lot of farmland to hike through as well. I'm sure that as a military man you'll manage. You can set your own pace after all. I would learn some French though, the French can be stubborn like that.

Edit: btw, there is a movie called The Way that you might be interested in.

Edited by SiC-Disaster, 30 May 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#12 DetCord

DetCord

Sapper

• Donator
  • 964 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostSiC-Disaster, on 30 May 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

Unfortunately I can't help you there, I have no experience myself nor do I know anyone who has done that trek, though one of my friends is interested in doing it, as am I.
I have been to the French Pyrrenees and have hiked there though. The mountains can be very tough on the legs, but afaik there is a lot of farmland to hike through as well. I'm sure that as a military man you'll manage. You can set your own pace after all. I would learn some French though, the French can be stubborn like that.

Edit: btw, there is a movie called The Way that you might be interested in.

I've spent a great deal of time in Western Europe to include hiking in the French Pyrenees (back in 2000). We'd like to do it before the cold sets in, for obvious reasons as I don't relish the idea of potentially dying on a mountain-side. The weather can close in rather quickly. St. Jean Pied de Port would be the likely choice for a starting position for us, though we haven't decided yet. My French is good but my Spanish leaves a lot to be desired, though I'm sure it wouldn't hamper the journey that much. We're just hoping to actually complete it within a month, give or take several days.

Thanks for the heads up on the film. The trailer looks excellent.
"It's probably because games that need to change, don't, and games that don't need to change, do."  -  Psychomorph

Posted Image

http://www.flybevirt...ures/BEE114.png

#13 Aldous

Aldous

BFS Thoracic Surgeon

• Administrator
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:37 AM

######. I was right there to, Posted Image
Posted Image

XML is like violence. If it's not working, use more.

#14 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

Human Claymore

• PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

New update online couple of days ago, didnt have time to post this earlier.
a-wanderers-soul.blogspot.com

#15 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

Human Claymore

• PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

New update: http://a-wanderers-soul.blogspot.ca/
I might have forgot to post about the previous update on here, so check that out as well if you like :)

#16 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

I love the comment about Tim Horton's. It is crack for Canadians.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Supporter  GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

#17 Aldous

Aldous

BFS Thoracic Surgeon

• Administrator
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Not all of us. Just the overwhelming majority.

So I tried to comment over on the blog proper, and Posted Image

That brings me back here. I know that area fairly well, for someone who has never lived in it. It's a beautiful place, at times, and if he keeps going north he's going to hit cottage country. Further? Crazyville.
Posted Image

XML is like violence. If it's not working, use more.

#18 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

Human Claymore

• PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

New update with lots and lots of pictures. Unfortunately I couldnt upload my video's, but I made several of me exploring that area and several caves in the vicinity.
I'll have to find a way to deal with that problem. Public computers suck lol.

http://a-wanderers-soul.blogspot.com

#19 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

Human Claymore

• PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

Made two blogposts today! The first contains all the video's I shot while I was at the Grotto. I have had to buy a laptop to do this and spent at least 36 hours uploading these video's due to a crappy wifi connection! So you had better enjoy it! ;)
Link here: http://a-wanderers-s...os-finally.html

The second post is about all my travels after I last made a post and helps keep you up to date with my latest adventures. It's easiest to just go to http://a-wanderers-soul.blogspot.com/!

#20 SiC-Disaster

SiC-Disaster

Human Claymore

• PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

New blogpost up with several video's and pictures!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users