Started by JungleSheep, Jun 01 2012 05:06 PM

#1 JungleSheep

JungleSheep

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

If anyone has played a tank game such as World of Tanks, WASD is used for moving the tracks, while the mouse is used for moving the turret.  In some ways, this is similar to how we move and look as our lower body (legs) can point to a different direction vs our upper body (shoulders and head).  I'm kind of curious how this kind of movement will play out in a Ground Branch environment in which the 'free look' is incorporated by default.  In other words, the key mappings may be something like this:

W - walk/run forward
A - TURN LEFT
S - walk/run backward
D - TURN RIGHT
Q - side step left
E - side step right
Mouse - controls head or aiming (when weapon is brought up), with the right view angle (can't see directly behind head unless body is turned)
Left mouse button - interact with teammates/objects or fire weapon
Right mouse button - bring weapon to shoulder followed by bring weapon to Aim Down Sight

It might be strange to decouple the upper body from the lower body, but I think it will make movement more realistic.  For example, if you want to turn left, you usually look left (move the mouse) before turning (press W and A) to bring your body in line with your head.  I know this sounds radical and I will like to hear your opinions!

#2 jwp1223

jwp1223

MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!!

• Donator
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

Well for the most part, some people will use TrackIR to get the Freelook. Hopefully he will have support for NoTrackIR (which uses Webcams and no Infrared clips)...so I am able to use it as well. But I will let John talk more about that. But I think that is how it might happen.
Ground Branch...Sweet Baby Jesus it's good
We came for the game, we stayed for the community.
It's hotter than two rats screwin in a wool sock out there.

View PostWhiteKnight77, on 16 June 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

When the trolling memes start appearing, you know you have stepped over the line and lost all credibility.

#3 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,445 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

Freelook is used while holding down a bound key. While held, the mouse allows you to move your head around. Release it and freelook turns off and you go back to normal view. I hadn't really given much thought to doing it another way though.

#4 zoog

zoog

Master Blaster

• Contributor
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

I think if you map A and D to left and right turn people will be at the front steps of BFS with pitchforks Posted Image It's very unnatural, IMO, to remove strafing from those keys. I recently played the Doom 1 online free game, which has this old school turn left/right on A and D, man that was horrible. Those keybinds were for the times that people didn't have a mouse and play FPS games with keyboard only.

Of course it depends on personal preference, but the first thing I would do is put strafing back on those keybinds :)
Posted Image

#5 Hatchetforce

Hatchetforce

Resident Hammerhead

• Contributor
  • 793 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

Freelook also allows titles to more easily support programs such as Face Track NoIR:

http://facetracknoir...ome/default.htm

or TrackIR is said titles do not provide native inclusion.
BRUTE FORCE. If it's not working, you're not using enough.

#6 jwp1223

jwp1223

MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!!

• Donator
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostHatchetforce, on 02 June 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

Freelook also allows titles to more easily support programs such as Face Track NoIR:

http://facetracknoir...ome/default.htm

or TrackIR is said titles do not provide native inclusion.

HF with the save!
Ground Branch...Sweet Baby Jesus it's good
We came for the game, we stayed for the community.
It's hotter than two rats screwin in a wool sock out there.

View PostWhiteKnight77, on 16 June 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

When the trolling memes start appearing, you know you have stepped over the line and lost all credibility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users