WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,374 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

View Postdragon676, on 05 July 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

Right on! I was hoping for a G36!!

That may enter into GB as a mod and not necessarily at the beginning.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Supporter  GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

#22 Jonathan Conley

Jonathan Conley

Ranger School Dropout

• Contributor
  • 115 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

Beautiful weapon models, guys.

#23 Snowfella

Snowfella

BFS Arms "Dealer"

• Donator
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:05 AM

12k polys does sound alittle high, is that poly's or tri's btw?
I've been given a max of 8k tri's without any attachments in play in order to make the model handle 1st person view, doubt I'll go that high on this one though as the AK's shapes are pretty uncomplicated. Plus there's so much detail that can be "faked" using the normal map.

Has-been, now retired for good.....maybe :devil:

#24 BS PALADIN

BS PALADIN

Pop up Target

• Donator
  • 285 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:36 AM

Thanks I will try to reduce.

It's made in sketchup so when I import to 3DS Max 12 it says it has both 12,000 polys and tris. Don't really know much about all this.

#25 Snowfella

Snowfella

BFS Arms "Dealer"

• Donator
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

Guessing it's already triangulated from the import then. A tri is simply the smallest face available, made up of 3 connected vertices, and is generally what you want to be counting as models tend to be triangulated on export. A polygon on the other hand, as the name suggests, can be made up of any number of vertices connected into a face.
Generally good practice either sticking to quads (4 verts making up one face) or tri's, that way you know how the model will be triangulated on export. Anything else can react weirdly when it gets triangulated and mess with your smoothing.

#26 easyco

easyco

Pop up Target

• Donator
  • 346 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:52 AM

Thank you Snow! When you get to the smoothing part be sure to include some extra pictures and info for those still learning. ;)

#27 Bumfluff

Bumfluff

Ranger School Dropout

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

Any chance someone could make a hk416?

Also an mp7?

#28 Caliber

Caliber

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

View PostBumfluff, on 06 July 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

I'm all for the HK416 as well! Not so much the mp7. For all we know, the HK416 could be planned for the armory, but they just haven't started working on it due to more pressing matters.

#29 dragon676

dragon676

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Platform:PC and Console gamer

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

View PostBumfluff, on 06 July 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

Also an mp7?
Mods could also be used to implement the weapons that are not in the game at launch.

#30 Colin

Colin

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

View Postdragon676, on 07 July 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

Mods could also be used to implement the weapons that are not in the game at launch.

Yes indeed the Game is and will be very Mod friendly
Posted Image

#31 Snowfella

Snowfella

BFS Arms "Dealer"

• Donator
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

Yup, with full mod suport there's no limit to what can be created. Just look at GR, games 10 odd years old now and there's still advances in modding being done.

Been distracted with other things the last few days, among them trying to keep the wife happy as she wasn't all to pleased I once again aim to turn her into a computer widow Posted Image Going to have to knuckle down though and make some progress as in a month I'm loosing my computer room for an unknown amount of time. It's going through a full renovation from mancave into spare bedroom for grandkids, still get to keep the main rig in there though but just not the full gaming setup I have now.

#32 Snowfella

Snowfella

BFS Arms "Dealer"

• Donator
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:58 AM

Another 3 hours or so spent in a roundabout way working on the model, got some limited time in on the model before progress stalled horribly due to lack of reference. So I've spent a good portion of the afternoon wading through AK and weapon related forums looking for decent reference images, ofcource the angles needed proved to be hard to find :wall: Guess most AK owners like taking photos of the right side of the reciever rather than the left side.

#33 Colin

Colin

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

Snow I was wondering John is using weapons of various sorts, and I seem to remember Jonathan mentioned about the cost of having weapons for a while, why don't you get them to take some detailed shots while they are at it, would be handy, also I believe a lot of the guys here have weapons, get them to do the same.

Make a Library if you like, just a thought.
We will have a sound file Library why not a weapon image one as well.
Posted Image

#34 Snowfella

Snowfella

BFS Arms "Dealer"

• Donator
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

That's indeed a way to do it, most big studios would, but I'm not sure what guns John and company had access to or if they took any photos. Plus at it stands right now I already have a sizeable library of reference images collected myself, both from the net and from connections I've made over the years.
Just didn't have any good top and rear profile references of the AK's sidemount optics rail. Found enough today though that I ought to be able to get it right!

#35 FanTa_A

FanTa_A

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

I can take photos of my ak-47 if you like. But its old and there is no rails on it.

#36 Snowfella

Snowfella

BFS Arms "Dealer"

• Donator
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

Update 4:

Bit more progress on the trunnion and front handguard, plus I've smoothed the dustcover out to look better from a 1st person view. Still have to add some details up around the rear sight aswell as some missing bits and pieces, got 3 days off from the dayjob now though so I ought to be able to make some more progress.
Posted Image

Still have to work out a few issues with thickness around the barrel trunnion as it just isn't looking right at the moment.

@FanTa_A: Thanks for the offer mate but the main bits I was missing reference of what mainly the side sightmount rail aswell as the interior design of the folding stock.

#37 Colin

Colin

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

In spite of the missing info looking great, it`s going to be a great addition.
Posted Image

#38 Caliber

Caliber

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

@Snow: It's coming along great! Exquisite work!

#39 Snowfella

Snowfella

BFS Arms "Dealer"

• Donator
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:07 AM

Update 5:
Finally some more progress after having had to suffer through my 3 days off getting dragged through furniture store after furniture store by the wife. Whatever you do don't ever agree on renovating and getting new furniture for a room! Posted Image
Mostly all the symmetrical parts have been finished and I've added a few of the details that stick out and will be seen from a 1st person perspective. Also had to step away from gravity and leveled the front and rear sights out, "proper" sighline compared with bulletpath won't work and John has asked me to level them. Mainly just cutting the ejection port out, making the bolt and figuring out how to make the folding mechanism for the stock.
Posted Image
Wire view

Still well under my poly limit too so I'll likely smooth some bits out more as I finish off Posted Image

#40 BS PALADIN

BS PALADIN

Pop up Target

• Donator
  • 285 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:31 AM

Wow. Your work is impressive. Not only the visuals but the low poly count. I made a Ak74 but it's around 9500 polys and it doesn't look half as good as yours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users