BFS Banner

• Please log in to reply

How about restar with....a LINUX Client ?!?

Started by AJSB, Jul 22 2012 03:27 AM

#1 AJSB

AJSB

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Platform:PC gamer

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:27 AM

Now that Valve decided to port to LINUX the Steam  client, the Source Engine and their catalog of games (starting with L4D2 (that there is already pictures of it running under LINUX)) and pushing their partners to do the same and even Valve  helping the LINUX community to dev open source drivers , how about you join in and make a LINUX client that might even use Steam ?

I know that you use Unreal Engine 3 but that , AFAIK, also supports LINUX .

The LINUX market is eagger for high quality  FPS LINUX games and WINE is not considered a real option.

We want NATIVE clients.

Check this out :

http://blogs.valveso...teamd-penguins/

Not only Valve plans seem to include LINUX on Desktops and notebooks but also.....a LINUX console !!!! (Some even say that it's name will be SteamBox....dunno if it's true)
So, Valve plans for LINUX are BIG.

Edited by AJSB, 22 July 2012 - 03:35 AM.

#2 Colin

Colin

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:59 AM

General information

On what platform(s) will Ground Branch be released?

PC with post release consideration given to a possible console release. If any console version were to be made, it would be exactly like the PC version. We firmly believe that you can have the same experience on any platform regardless of control scheme. For the PC release, we are targeting 32bit DirectX9 and 32/64bit DirectX11 systems. Minimum requirements will be released closer to project completion.

If our Kickstarter can generate a bit more than our target goal then we will also be doing a Mac version. Linux has been looked at and unless funding far exceeds our goal it would just be too much of a burden for our small team to support.

Posted Image

#3 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,206 posts
  • Platform:None Selected

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

Unfortunately UE3 doe not officially support linux. It does support MacOS so porting to linux is easier than it would be without (No DirectX). We want to look into it, but honestly don't have the expertise to do it ourselves.

#4 AJSB

AJSB

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:32 AM

Taking in account that now you are an approved Steam title, taking in account your desire to look in to it for a Linux port and lack of experience to do it yourselves , you might consider contact the Linux Cabal at Valve.... and i quote from their Linux blog:

And something completely different: If we know there is game on Steam where the devs are interested to port over to Linux but might need the right incentive and/or help, would the Valve Linux Team render assistance and what would that look like?
I know you are already reaching out to game devs who have existing Linux versions but it might be smart to reach out to interested parties as well.

Valve Linux team says:
August 3, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Game developers who are interested in porting an existing Steam game from their catalog to Linux should send us an email at valvelinuxteam@valvesoftware.com.

Edited by AJSB, 04 August 2012 - 06:43 AM.

#5 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for sharing. We'll look into it.

#6 Kris

Kris

PT Stud

• Contributor
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

A Linux version of Steam is great step, but getting people to fully embrace Linux as a gaming platform is still a ways off.

#7 AJSB

AJSB

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

Might be but things are changing fast....a Linux Console made by Valve is gonna help Posted Image

WE are eager to spend money in Linux Native games ...check HumbleIndieBundle and their numbers show that we are the ones that are willing to pay MORE for games...we are simply starving for games....

The reactions at Valve Linux blog were so overwhelming that they had to apply filters to reduce amount of answers Posted Image

Personally i dropped Windows once and for all (and won't buy ever again a Windows-Only game) as soon as it was confirmed that Valve was doing this....i simply formatted the HD and installed Linux alone instead of dual boot ....i wasn't either expecting to buy more than a game this year for Windows  but now i'm getting ready to buy 3-6 Linux  games this year Posted Image

I used to buy lot's of games for Windows (i have more than 50 legit DVD games for Windows and a bunch of them also at Steam) but now i'm gonna resell almost all my Windows-Only games (won't resell for example ETQW or UT2004 because they have Linux Clients)...now it's time to buy a lot of Linux games :D

Edited by AJSB, 07 August 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#8 Kris

Kris

PT Stud

• Contributor
  • 559 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

@AJSB - Valve is making Steam and their games run under linux, not every game available via it.
But, I get you. I would love to drop Windows if possible, but alas, I cannot.
Most of the programs I use have Linux versions or similar, except for, you guessed it, the UDK.
Until the UDK comes out in Linux flavour, I'm stuck with Windows.
It is possible to get UDK to run under Linux, but not in a stable enough fashion for my liking :(

#9 charliebrownau

charliebrownau

Moving Target

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:24 AM

Shame more indie devs dont use OpenGL3 .
OpenGL 3 video cards is the same hardware as DirectX 10 but the benfit is you can code for OpenGL v3 , it will work on Windows 2000 , Win 2003 , XP , Vista , 7 , 8 , Linux , Mac
( Radeon HD series; GeForce 8, 9, 100-series, 200-series, 300-series, 400-series and 500-series; Intel Sandy Bridge HD Graphics 2000 and 3000 )
I know UT99 supported DirectX/Direct3D/OpenGL/S3/3DFX Glide. So at least that old engine supported OpenGL 1.x.

Vertex, Tessellation Control, Tessellation Evaluation, Geometry, and Fragment was added to OpenGL v4.1
(  Nvidia GeForce 400 series, Nvidia GeForce 500 series, ATI Radeon HD 5000 series, AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series, AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series )

Also you have OpenAL – The Open Audio Library – designed to work well with OpenGL which is used in several games and allow cross platform development.

#10 AJSB

AJSB

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

I didn't forgot this game !!!....and a possible port for LINUX !!!

2013 Is going to be the Year of LINUX gaming:

http://www.phoronix....item&px=MTI2Mzk

...and MUCH MUCH MORE IMPORTANT....

1st game using UNREAL ENGINE *3* PORTED TO LINUX:

http://www.phoronix....item&px=MTI1ODE

RED ORCHESTRA 2 : HEROES OF STALINGRAD (ALSO uses UE3 !!!):  Possibly ported to LINUX in 2013 !!!

http://www.phoronix....item&px=MTI2NDk

Shameless copy/paste:

Earlier this month the first Unreal Engine 3 game that's native to Linux was released, thanks to the work of Ryan "Icculus" Gordon. Now with UE3 being "officially" ported to Linux in a released game, after Unreal Tournament 3 for Linux failed to be released, other UE3-based games have hope for a Linux debut.

In an exchange on Twitter between Ryan Gordon and John Gibson, the President of Tripwire Interactive, there's now hope for seeing a Linux port of Red Orchestra 2. Gibson congratulated Gordon on getting Unreal Engine 3 to work on Linux and says that "we should talk" after Gordon mentioned "RO2."

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad is the sequel to Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45. Red Orchestra 2 debuted in September of 2011 as a Windows-exclusive title that's powered by Unreal Engine 3. Red Orchestra 2 is a first-person shooter themed around World War 2, and in particular the Battle of Stalingrad. The game has been reviewed favourably and now there's hope of seeing it released on Linux.

Ryan Gordon has previously been involved with Tripwire Interactive where he ported Red Orchestra and Killing Floor to Linux. The original Red Orchestra along with Killing Floor are based upon Unreal Engine 2.5 with modifications, not UE3.

Here's to hoping we see Red Orchestra 2 natively on Linux in 2013, the year of Linux gaming...

Come on Devs !!!

Embrace the Penguin !!! Posted Image

Edited by AJSB, 30 December 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#11 ElShotte

ElShotte

Ranger School Dropout

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Ehhh, if GB wouldn't make a native Linux client then there's always Wine, I just looked it up and evidently there was some success getting the actual UDK to run in under Gentoo I think. Also, I believe Unreal Tournament 3 is rated Platinum under Wine as well, and I think it might even be available on the Linux version of Steam right off the bat. Check this thread.

I believe that in a worst case scenario, we could always try to get GB running under Wine, even as to provide our Linux people something at all, but the reality is that porting an actual UDK title to Linux would probably cost way too much money.

What I hope to happen is that now, since Steam is available on Linux, UDK will get ported as well. It looks to me like Valve is starting a new trend.

#12 AJSB

AJSB

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Running GB in WINE is a bad idea...

1. Just because some games are WINE Platinum that means nothing....WINE is a moving target....a game that is considered Platinum in a WINE release , next week can be garbage because WINE is constantly evolving and some times nasty bugs or regressions are introduced making havoc....this is all because WINE devs are of course trying to guess what Windows and it's components do/work.

2. UE3 under WINE has a pretty lousy performance, i.e. frame rate.
    It's a heavy engine by itself and when we put in the mix WINE that has to translate Dx9 graphics to OpenGL, well, performance goes down the hill....never mind any game that is Dx10 or Dx11 only....it won't work under WINE at all.

Ryan Gordon already ported non-officially (but with the blessing from EPIC) UE3 for Linux , GB devs "only" need contact RG when game is finished and break a deal with him to him port the game....he is very experienced in porting games for Linux.

#13 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

I would say that any porting over of GB is off in the distance, The devs need to get something out, even if just the MP part first and that is still a bit off. Once John and BFS can get everything together as in both the SP and MP, I would think that he would look into doing that as he has stated that there would be a Mac version of it at some time too.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Supporter  GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

#14 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

I have said many times already that I would love to see a native linux version of GB. But it all depends on time and money. We do not have the expertise to port then maintain such a thing ourselves so it would need to be contracted and that takes money. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users