Started by Jsonedecker, Nov 26 2014 11:04 PM

#1 Jsonedecker

Jsonedecker

Grand Poobah!

• Administrator
  • 10,957 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:04 PM

Yes.

WARNING: Contains ~11 minutes of two idiots running around and carrying on, shooting at each other and missing a lot. The audio is poor and some chest bumping occurs.

Its a over a year since we were online with the UE3 version, so it felt great to finally be online (and stable) with the UE4 verison.

The problem with bullets.
Posted Image

Impact FX and decals are created as the bullet is simulated client side. By the time the client receives the initial location and velocity of a bullet it has already travelled some distance. This results in the missing impacts FX and decals seen in the video above.

Forcing the bullet to replicate immediately improves things, but not enough.

One solution is to create a client side version of a bullet if initial shot is received by the client. Once the proper server version of the bullet is received, the two could be synchronised and allowed to go on their merry way.
Several games have done this in the past and the latest incarnation of Unreal Tournament is using a similar system for all its projectiles.

Another solution is to fall back to how we were handling it in UE3 and replicate the impacts instead of the bullet. This does create more things to send across the network, but each one has so little to send and exists for such a short time, its still a viable solution.

The are pros and cons to both methods, but we're sure to come up with one we like soon enough.

Weapon collision.
This is the kind of lean we're want you to be able to do (and quickly):

Posted Image
Credits to Psychomorph for this image.

Unfortunately the weapon collision needs more work.
It is currently accurate when your weapon is on target, but uses a less accurate swept trace when off target. This results in being unable to bring your weapon on target when next to obstacles until you first turn away from the obstacle so that it is 'clear'.

Annoying and will be fixed.

Posted Image
Favourite respone to Psychomorph's image.

Dude, where's my VR support?
Its getting there.
Wasn't too high on the list of priorities of late, but a post from the Rift developer forums last weekend ###### me off annoyed me enough to get in there and attack it again.

This led to fixing the basics and cotinued on to hooking up lean.

A strange feeling when leaning actually shifts your view and you can see around the object, instead of just looking like this:

Feels good man.
Really looking forward to seeing people online... then, you know... shooting at them.

Kris

Read this story on GroundBranch.com

#2 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:05 AM

really?

spread this now? before everyone gets fat and sleepy over turkey!

how fast can I share this?

and yes, I posted that lean-peak meme Posted Image
CPU Motherboard Graphics RAM Intel Core i7-6700K Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 MSI GTX 970 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin... Cooling OS Power Case Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Window 7 PRO 64-bit Corsair 850AX Corsair 750D
Posted Image
http://twitter.com/Acesian_Dehlyte

#3 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• 7,216 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:37 AM

Led, Led, Led, it is now on the website, of course you can spread the word. Why else would they post that video?

Oh yeah Kris:

Ya gotta remove the s in the http part.

Now, on to comments on the video. I was laughing my ass off watching that. ROFLMAOBAGFLSH is all I got to say. John, you need some more practice. Kris beat you hands down. Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Supporter  GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion
Any and all opinions that I post on this forum are mine and mine only and do not represent any promises or opinions from Blackfoot Studios.

#4 Jonathan

Jonathan

Master Blaster

• Operator
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:40 AM

I almost ###### my pants laughing at these two!

#5 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:45 AM

View PostWhiteKnight77, on 27 November 2014 - 12:37 AM, said:

Led, Led, Led, it is now on the website, of course you can spread the word. Why else would they post that video?

Oh yeah Kris:

Ya gotta remove the s in the http part.

Now, on to comments on the video. I was laughing my ass off watching that. ROFLMAOBAGFLSH is all I got to say. John, you need some more practice. Kris beat you hands down. Posted Image

too late....I can't type fast enough
CPU Motherboard Graphics RAM Intel Core i7-6700K Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 MSI GTX 970 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin... Cooling OS Power Case Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Window 7 PRO 64-bit Corsair 850AX Corsair 750D
Posted Image

#6 Kris

Kris

Master Blaster

• Contributor
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:50 AM

To be fair, I was connecting directly to the server.
John had to cross the planet to connect.

#7 Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek

Master Blaster

• Donator
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:56 AM

Nice job showing the free-look also. I hope gamers will notice that little bit.
Posted Image

#8 Jonathan

Jonathan

Master Blaster

• Operator
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:05 AM

I hope John & Kris have fun community nights where they will play in the game with pubs! I can watch this video over and over again and never get tired of it and at the same time I also marvel at how far BFS has come! This game is going to kick ass once all the tweaking is complete!

Edited by Jonathan, 27 November 2014 - 01:20 AM.

#9 WanhaPatu

WanhaPatu

Pop up Target

• Operator
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:22 AM

Nice! Just wishing the VOIP was louder or the shots were not that loud. The first couple shots hurt my ears. Posted Image

#10 MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack

Ranger School Dropout

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:26 AM

The whole video looks amazing. The nature sound/fx, even the bird sounds were just so well done. Overall, it looked and felt really real :))
Patience does have its reward :)))
We all think that we are healthy while we adjust ourselves to a sick society.

#11 SIXPAG_PAIN

SIXPAG_PAIN

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:28 AM

Cant wait to buy a few 4packs on steam. Great Job!

#12 Malcolm B.

Malcolm B.

Ranger School Dropout

• Operator
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:43 AM

John, Kris Thanks for the video. hopefully soon BFS community will have so much fun as you guys.
and be came a huge community with thousand of members. all happy shooting and blowing between them.
Malcolm...

#13 easyco

easyco

Intel Ninja

• Donator
  • 911 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:21 AM

Looks like fun :)
EasyCo
Steam ID
YouTube
Posted Image

#14 Olissipo

Olissipo

Wannabee

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:27 AM

I hope I'm not imagining things, but the character seems to be actually walking with the very slight up and down bounce. (instead of sliding through the air, like we see on other FPS').

#15 zaziki78

zaziki78

Pop up Target

• Operator
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:58 AM

That video really made my day after all those newsless weeks!
Gameplay looks good so far, like a mix between the controls of the ArmAs but without the awkward problems those have.

Looking forward on getting my hands on... Posted Image
Laptop:
Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.30+ GHz
8192 MB
GeForce GT 650M 2GB
Win 10x64
PC:
i5-46900k 3.50GHz
RAM 14GB
MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Win10 x64

#16 Scopey

Scopey

Human Claymore

• Contributor
  • 726 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:02 AM

Very fun to watch, guys. Congrats on all the progress.

I especially like the sound effects so far, feels quite alive already. Pretty damn scary when Kris is being shot at inside the cabin! Brought back that feeling of helplessness and urgency of being spotted first in GR for me. I noticed some blood effect too on that part, which I didn't expect at this point.

Lastly, I got quite a few laughs and a HUGE sense of nostalgia as your voices, accents and general attitudes remind me of old clan mates of mine, not to mention the map has a very noticeable GR vibe to it. I wonder why... ;)

#17 WhiteKnight77

WhiteKnight77

Master Blaster

• 7,216 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:20 AM

View PostSAF_Night Scope, on 27 November 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

Very fun to watch, guys. Congrats on all the progress.

I especially like the sound effects so far, feels quite alive already. Pretty damn scary when Kris is being shot at inside the cabin! Brought back that feeling of helplessness and urgency of being spotted first in GR for me. I noticed some blood effect too on that part, which I didn't expect at this point.

Lastly, I got quite a few laughs and a HUGE sense of nostalgia as your voices, accents and general attitudes remind me of old clan mates of mine, not to mention the map has a very noticeable GR vibe to it. I wonder why... Posted Image

Gee, I wonder why? :whistle:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Supporter  GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion
Any and all opinions that I post on this forum are mine and mine only and do not represent any promises or opinions from Blackfoot Studios.

#18 zoog

zoog

Master Blaster

• Contributor
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:29 AM

Great that you've got basic MP working! Posted Image

Be ready to answer a lot of Youtube questions when comments are allowed on the videos.
Posted Image

#19 Nemesis

Nemesis

Master Blaster

• Operator
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:52 AM

Good teaser guys :thumbsup:
Regards
Nemesis

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

#20 Scopey

Scopey

Human Claymore

• Contributor
  • 726 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:27 AM

View Postzoog, on 27 November 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

Be ready to answer a lot of Youtube questions when comments are allowed on the videos.

Yep, I see zoog has answered a few already and I've done so in the past as well. Clarifying that this is early WIP is important as I see it, and I believe it would be best to always make sure to get that point across in the video, as annotations or such. The flashbang demo video had a "recoil has been disabled in this build" kinda message which I'm sure prevented some misunderstanding. People are quick to assume and dismiss, y'know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users