I was never that into tribes but i owned and played Tribes 2 for a while. Coming from Quake it was a great game to play because apart from first person shooter Tribes also requires speed, skiing, overall inertia movement skills that reminded me of Quake in which i also liked to trickjump, strafejump, run trick levels etc.
Joined the Tribes Ascent beta and it's in good playable shape. I actually enjoy this version much more than the previous Tribes, allthough many hardcore players from the past may feel otherwise.
In short, I want to address what you can expect from the alpha release:
* No cross hair
* Most realistic iron sight, reflex sight, and scope simulation
* Real ballistic tracing including bullet drop
* Minimum GPU requirements: Nvidia 6800GT or ATI X800
* Win and Linux only
* About 300 Megs download (plus W:ET)
* Only Bodycount (TDM)
* One map
* Game is locked to sv_pure 1 and sv_official 1