Jump to content

BFS Banner


Member Since 22 Feb 2007
Offline Last Active Private

Topics I've Started

Somethings coming and here is a preview

14 September 2014 - 04:14 PM

So we are getting pretty close to releasing something public..... No really!

We plan to release a sort of tech demo in the next few weeks to serve a couple of purposes. First is to allow us to figure out the "packaging" process for a public release and to make sure we can deliver a public build that works. UE4 is a lot different than UE3 in many ways so there is a lot of learning on our part still. Secondly is to get an idea of performance characteristics with various performance settings and to see how an area with specific design characteristics works on various machines.

To be clear, this is not Ground Branch the game. There is no "game" in this release. It is a small purpose built area that shows off the density of map design, foliage density, lighting setups and various effects. You can walk around and shoot a weapon, but there is no purpose or "mission".

Here is a screen from the editor of part of the area:

Posted Image

We really want to have solid and playable releases for Ground Branch. This is the first step in getting there and an actual playable build..... and that isn't to far away. Posted Image

<a href="http://www.groundbra...-preview/">Read this story on GroundBranch.com</a></p>

Team Rooms

14 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

I know we seem to be going slow (We are Posted Image ), but I thought I'd show something I've been working on lately..... Ground Branch will use the concept of a 'Team Room' as a place to start the game from. It is here where you will customize your gear, set up missions, receive and go over intel as well as hang out with teammates before, during and after MP and co-op missions. There will also be oppurtunities to customize your Team Room as well.

One part of your Team Room is the Operations Room that is shown here. This is where the Intel/Mission magic happens and every one of these monitors/screens will be interactive for various purposes. This is a clean unaltered screen grab from the editor and I'm sure you can get an idea of what some things do just by looking around. Posted Image

Posted Image

We are using an HTML/Javascript based UI system for the interactive screens so there are some really unique possibilities we are exploring.

We know the pace is slow... much slower than we would like, but we are still here and still committed to Ground Branch!


Read this story on GroundBranch.com

Need help with a graphic

09 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

I need some help finding (or making) a graphic of a digital world map similar to this:


I need it as large as possible and just about any format will do, though vector would be great. And of course it needs to be royalty free or pretty cheaply priced to get usage rights for a game.

Just post any finding here or send me a PM.


A true warrior's story

16 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

This is an interesting short read on a guy that I would say exemplifies the term "warrior".

There are days when I read something about real people and real sacrifice revolving around something that I use as entertainment, and to generate income from and wonder to myself.... Is it right. Today is one of those days. Ground Branch has always been one of those units you hear about but never get any direct information about. I know the unit and men that serve in it are real, but it is still somehow "magical" and feels like something fictional. You never hear about actual operations or those that die during their service for that unit.

So it is both surprising and thought provoking to read about an individual who died while involved in an actual CIA Ground Branch mission.

Here is to Maj. Douglas A. Zembiec and his family.

Friends of BlackFoot Studios

11 July 2014 - 05:43 AM

We are proud of the community that we have built here at BlackFoot Studios. We have people from all over the world contributing and being active on a regular basis. Many types of personalities and backgrounds come together and are generally pretty civilized. :)

I have had the pleasure of personally meeting some of these people over the years and have become good friends outside of just BFS and game development. One of those is our very own MONOLITH and his family..... Tom Reinhart is an exceptionally talented individual who, much like myself, has decided to follow a dream. His dream is writing and as it turns out he is damn good at it. Not only is he good at it, but he is a true creative. By that I mean that he doesn't write just to write, but he writes and develops stories and characters from the heart. Every word he puts on paper has meaning. They just are not stories, but honest feelings.


I'll admit, I am not a big reader. But Tom's stories are engaging and keep me going until the end. They are easy reads but full of depth and complexity. Take a minute and check out what my friend Tom has been up to.... you won't be disappointed. I sure haven't been!


- John

Read this story on GroundBranch.com